The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 23 October 2023, 11:28 PM   #1
courboy
"TRF" Member

Patek 5224g vs Vacheron 7900v (possibly 5205g)

Hi all

I'm going through a bit of a readjustment to my collection. I'm trying to keep it to a three-watch collection to cover all bases. Currently, my collection is:

1. Rolex 116600 Sea-Dweller
2. A Lange & Sohne Saxonia Thin rose gold
3. Vacheron 4500v overseas silver dial

Yesterday I got the call for the 36mm Explorer, which I am looking to get to replace the 116600 as a daily beater/wearer and under the radar for when I go into London.

I'm looking for a GMT-style watch as I have relatives in the US and don't want 3 3-hander watches.

I will therefore trade the Sea Dweller and the Overseas, and currently have got it down to two watches:

1. Overseas dual time 7900v blue dial (the delta between my current overseas and this one is probably the same as the value of the sea dweller)
2. Patek 5224g/7234g pilot watch dual time

I've already owned the 7900v with black dial in the past and am looking for another dial colour. I have never owned a Patek before so that interests me, and i'm pretty torn.

As a third and wild-card option I'm thinking of just having a two-watch collection of:

1. Explorer 124270
2. Patek 5205g blue dial

I worry the Patek won't get used enough as it isn't that versatile though.

Outsourcing views to help me through this first-world problem!
courboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 12:08 AM   #2
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

If i may humbly suggest, have a look at H. Moser as they are very wearable and reliable. Move on to something that is also versatile.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 01:58 PM   #3
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
I love the 5205. I'm pretty sure it expresses only one time, though.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 03:42 PM   #4
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
Personally, I'd go for the VC Overseas Dual Time due to its versatility, better water resistance, interchangeable strap system.....can either keep Sea-Dweller by selling your current 4500v

I'd trade your Lange later for the 5205g down the road
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 03:58 PM   #5
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

I would go 100% for explorer 36mm and 7234 (as the 5524 might be too big if you can rock the exp 1 36mm).
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 07:50 PM   #6
courboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
If i may humbly suggest, have a look at H. Moser as they are very wearable and reliable. Move on to something that is also versatile.
I do love H Moser as a brand, but i'm really only drawn to the Streamliner and there isn't a GMT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
I love the 5205. I'm pretty sure it expresses only one time, though.
It does but i'd make an exception for that one ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwang0520 View Post
Personally, I'd go for the VC Overseas Dual Time due to its versatility, better water resistance, interchangeable strap system.....can either keep Sea-Dweller by selling your current 4500v

I'd trade your Lange later for the 5205g down the road
This is what i'm leaning towards. Although i've now had two overseas and have sold them both over time, mainly because it looks better off my wrist than on it - can't really point out why though. Hoping the blue dial will be the thing that fixes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
I would go 100% for explorer 36mm and 7234 (as the 5524 might be too big if you can rock the exp 1 36mm).
I actually think the 36mm explorer is a bit too small but i love how it's under the radar and can take some abuse without me worrying about it; the SD4k is a lovely watch but i do worry about how shiny the ceramic bezel is for when i'm in London. I've never encountered any sort of crime, although I feel more relaxed when wearing something that isn't noticeable - something the Lange and VC/Patek would achieve too.

Do you think there's enough differentiation with the 7236g and the explorer as both have arabics? Ok i know they're different metals, class of watch, dials, etc, but I think there's a little bit of a crossover potentially, considering i'm limiting my collection to 3.
courboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 08:39 PM   #7
WaTmAn
"TRF" Member

I would also go for the Explorer 36mm
WaTmAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 10:38 PM   #8
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

How about an Explorer II instead of the Explorer? I worn mine for 15 years as my only watch and I have the same use case - keeping it at the same time zone as my parents in HK. That way, it satisfies your requirement for a GMT and it also doesn’t have the shiny ceramic bezel of the SD. If you’re used to the size of the SD, the explorer 36 likely feeds too small for you as it wears small. It’s feels closer to my 34mm OP Date. The explorer II at 42mm is a good transition.

As for the VCO, I love mine but clearly if you had sold it before I’m not sure the dial will make that big of a difference.
Old 28 October 2023, 10:46 PM   #9
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
Love the 5524.. Easy to wear, versatile, great travel time complication, Patek quality.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2023, 07:49 AM   #10
Cayenne06
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: VC Overseas DT
I own a black dial 7900V as well as a blue dial 5205G. IF I had to choose only 1 it would be the Vacheron. It gets much more wrist time. The 5205 is a bit too dressy for casual or daily wear for me. The 7900 can go either way, just get some straps and go. Keep the Lange, trade your current VC for the 7900. It’s a big step down to a 36 Explorer IMHO, so I’d keep the Sea Dweller.
Cayenne06 is offline   Reply With Quote