The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 February 2020, 01:09 PM   #31
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

If it wasn't so hard to get Nautiluses (i.e., if they were as easy to get as they were in 2015), I'd have two of these, and I'd wear the heck out of one and give Mr. Stern a run for his money in terms of "wear & tear."
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 05:50 PM   #32
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
If it wasn't so hard to get Nautiluses (i.e., if they were as easy to get as they were in 2015), I'd have two of these, and I'd wear the heck out of one and give Mr. Stern a run for his money in terms of "wear & tear."
It always drives me nuts when people suggest it was easy to get a Nautilus in 2015. The craze must have started in the US years later than elsewhere. Had I known... Since where I live a blue 5711 was never really easy to get and certainly not in 2015 when I wanted to get one, not for a new customer anyway. Wempe in Munich told me I better look elsewhere and at my home town AD it still took 2.5 years to come through.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 06:02 PM   #33
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
It always drives me nuts when people suggest it was easy to get a Nautilus in 2015. The craze must have started in the US years later than elsewhere. Had I known... Since where I live a blue 5711 was never really easy to get and certainly not in 2015 when I wanted to get one, not for a new customer anyway. Wempe in Munich told me I better look elsewhere and at my home town AD it still took 2.5 years to come through.
In the US, it was much, much easier in 2015. I'm not simply suggesting. I know. I was there (here).

Also, to be clear, I said "as easy to get as in 2015." I did not say it was easy. It was much easier than now. But not necessarily *easy*. Please read exactly what I said. :)

That said, it was definitely much easier in the US than in Europe. I have no idea how far back one has to go for it to have been as easy in Europe as it was in the US in the early to mid 2010's (or even earlier, for that matter).
Old 8 February 2020, 06:35 PM   #34
bob101
"TRF" Member

Great to see a watch being worn and enjoyed as it should. If the damage ever gets too much, replace the case and carry on..
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 07:12 PM   #35
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
In the US, it was much, much easier in 2015. I'm not simply suggesting. I know. I was there (here).

Also, to be clear, I said "as easy to get as in 2015." I did not say it was easy. It was much easier than now. But not necessarily *easy*. Please read exactly what I said. :)

That said, it was definitely much easier in the US than in Europe. I have no idea how far back one has to go for it to have been as easy in Europe as it was in the US in the early to mid 2010's (or even earlier, for that matter).
I know I had twisted your words... Just mad at myself as I had been in the US all the time but it never crossed my mind to visit an AD there.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2020, 02:22 AM   #36
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I would treat it the same way if I was a billionaire. F it.
Old 9 February 2020, 04:13 AM   #37
erics
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712r, XX, 1675
I like watches with a patina but in the nautilus case, I don’t think that it suits the watch.

As to TH, why would he care. He can give it to his assistant and have it back looking brand new the following morning.
erics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2020, 07:26 AM   #38
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

Was he able to negotiate with himself to get a discount?
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2020, 11:31 AM   #39
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
A ‘worn’ look is the best look a watch can have - IMHO.

They are meant to be enjoyed and used. There is absolutely nothing there that can’t be undone.

My hulk and black dial ceramic Daytona that my wife wears all the time look like I drug them behind my car. They still keep good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2020, 02:43 PM   #40
Sunburstcyclops
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Being able to beat up a watch like this is a display of wealth
Sunburstcyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2020, 11:44 AM   #41
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I know I had twisted your words... Just mad at myself as I had been in the US all the time but it never crossed my mind to visit an AD there.

I hear you. I, myself, missed out on a lot, and I was here! *sigh*

I miss those days. The days when only those of us in the know, who actually cared, were actually buying these pieces.
Old 8 November 2023, 09:07 AM   #42
Chiverz
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the thread resurrection but what do you guys think about protective stickers (such as invisi-shield etc) on delicate soft metal pieces such as 5740g?

Regarding Thierry Stern 5740g... a part of me finds the battle scars kinda cool and badass, the other part finds it horrible and sad knowing that the picture was from 2020 and that the watch was launched in 2018 which means his watch was at the time only 2 years old... What will the watch look like in 10 years ? After all: "You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely look after it for the next generation." Well, not sure my next generation would appreciate wearing a watch that looks like it did world war III.
Chiverz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2023, 02:47 AM   #43
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiverz View Post
Sorry for the thread resurrection but what do you guys think about protective stickers (such as invisi-shield etc) on delicate soft metal pieces such as 5740g?

Regarding Thierry Stern 5740g... a part of me finds the battle scars kinda cool and badass, the other part finds it horrible and sad knowing that the picture was from 2020 and that the watch was launched in 2018 which means his watch was at the time only 2 years old... What will the watch look like in 10 years ? After all: "You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely look after it for the next generation." Well, not sure my next generation would appreciate wearing a watch that looks like it did world war III.
I'll never judge another's business but not for me.. I've grown to appreciate the nicks and scars on a watch I wear...they tell me a story: the watch is being used as intended, not a safe queen

As for the next generation, I'm only focused on enjoying the moment, the present...have no clue what tomorrow holds let alone the future and next generation

my 2 cents!
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 10:06 PM   #44
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampelligrino View Post
I'll never judge another's business but not for me.. I've grown to appreciate the nicks and scars on a watch I wear...they tell me a story: the watch is being used as intended, not a safe queen

As for the next generation, I'm only focused on enjoying the moment, the present...have no clue what tomorrow holds let alone the future and next generation

my 2 cents!
I believe that's actually a prototype so he may have been wearing it long before 2018

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
liljctl is offline   Reply With Quote