The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 December 2023, 01:48 AM   #31
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
The Rolex sales staff who work on commission need to listen to this story.
I used to work in the automotive industry and would service many rural, small mom and pop auto dealerships. I always remember a story told by one of the owners about when he observed judging a book by its cover firsthand while sweeping the floors.
An old farmer pulled up to the dealership in an old beat-up pickup truck, in his overalls, scuffed and scraped cowboy boots and smelling of manure. He walked into the showroom and started looking at the brand-new Cadillac Deville sitting on the showroom floor. The head salesman walked over and introduced himself and after a short conversation, the old farmer asked for a test drive. The salesman hawed and hummed and suggested that they go out back and look at the used car lot for something more suited for the old farmer. The farmer still insisted on taking the Cadillac for a test drive and after some back and forth, the young rookie salesman who watched this whole interaction stepped in with the keys and the head salesman passed off the old guy to the kid and told him the old man was wasting everyone's time and would only smell up the car but not buy anything.
When the rookie salesman and the farmer returned to the dealership, the old farmer told the kid that he would take the Cadillac. The old farmer pulled out a wad of cash from his overalls and paid for the car in full.
It turns out that the farmer was one of the largest cattle ranchers in the area, who just happened to be at the cattle ranch that day because a new calf was being born. Not wanting to get his good cloths dirty, he wore his ranch cloths and drove the ranch truck into town to take a look at a new car for himself and his wife.
The moral of the story is, never judge a book by its cover because that old dirty farmer came back to that dealership every single year to buy a brand-new Cadillac and would only purchase it with cash from the rookie kid salesman and no one else.
Smart salespeople never judge a book by its cover, but there is human nature at play.

Commissioned salespeople (and anyone else with at values time) don’t like to be jerked around. Especially if they are treated rudely or spoken down to by someone acting like an entitled jerk or has a chip on his/her shoulder

I’m not saying that OP acted this way, but I completely understand why some people get better service than others. A smile, “please,” “thank you” and “how are you today” are simple easy things to do and can take you far in this world.

Does it help to dress in certain ways, sure. Like it helps to be good looking. It’s not fair or rational, but that is the world that you live in. You can be resentful, but that won’t get you a watch at MSRP (or much else when you need others to help you to get it)

Some are fortunate enough to wear whatever they please, but choose to dress according to the group that they will be with. If you are at an event where the other participants are forced to dress up, you dress up as a sign of respect to your fellow humans. Sure, you can rub their noses in your success by wearing beach attire while they are forced to wear suits and ties, but that’s an unforced error.

No, don’t wear a suit to buy a watch.

But do remember, circumstances change and the toe that you step on today might be connected to an ass that you are forced to kiss tomorrow (for whatever reason, like you need a zoning variance and that ass somehow ended up sitting in the board chair seat). I’m not talking about watches. I’m talking about life.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2023, 01:51 AM   #32
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Visited Rolex Boutique at the Wynn Las Vegas - Reporting in

[QUOTE=Number3;13047712]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterglow View Post
Looking for respect and attention from an underpaid and overworked sales clerk who sees tire kickers all day long?[/0QUOTE]

They sure as hell ain’t overworked!

Absolutely not overworked. They have been leveraging a SS Rolex to push other brands and jewelry for a few years now. They haven’t had to hustle for a sale

The only way I can see this ending outside of a catastrophic economic collapse is if we stop buying from the used watch sellers. That’ll chase out the flippers and all but eliminate the ADs from selling out the back door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2023, 02:24 AM   #33
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
This story just gets better. This may be the first time in history that a Daytona has been on a peace van road trip!

You mean other daytona owners don’t sleep like this while wearing their daytona??

This was sunrise my last night of camping. Other cold camping nights were in Zions National park and in Santa Cruz. All the other cold nights we hotel’d

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2023, 03:06 AM   #34
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
You mean other daytona owners don’t sleep like this while wearing their daytona??

This was sunrise my last night of camping. Other cold camping nights were in Zions National park and in Santa Cruz. All the other cold nights we hotel’d

This is a really cool picture and seems like an awesome experience. How did you get into this kind of camping? The last time I did this was in my mid twenties in Zion and the Badlands.
Nads786 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2023, 03:08 AM   #35
Nads786
"TRF" Member

The standalone Rolex boutiques are the worst customer experience. The one one Vegas for me was an exception. I was pleasantly surprised but I did put on an intensive charm campaign and was there for work so was suited up.
Old 4 December 2023, 03:45 AM   #36
rfiorito
"TRF" Member

Watch: D-Blue
Your road trip sounds so much better than your Rolex 'distraction.'
rfiorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2023, 04:35 AM   #37
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I really hate when we are judged by how we are dressed. I remember a similar experience, years ago, while car shopping, with my daughter. I was dressed in jeans and a tee shirt, and she was dressed like a typical 17 year old. We wandered around the showroom floor, for about 10 minutes. There were salesmen, doing nothing, and we were totally ignored. Maybe they didn’t notice that I pulled up in a brand new Trans Am? Anyway, we left, and went elsewhere.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In all fairness, we are making our own statement by how we choose to dress, and in what circumstances. Don’t blame others if they don’t ignore the very message we’re sending.
Old 4 December 2023, 05:15 AM   #38
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfiorito View Post
Your road trip sounds so much better than your Rolex 'distraction.'

I’ll get a full post on the road trip in the general discussion forum in the next few days

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2023, 05:27 AM   #39
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmainspring View Post
What was for sale?

I was at the Wynn today. To be clear: NOTHING is for sale.They have those "exhibition only" little green signs in every watch case.They will let you try any watch on but thats about it.I was interested in handling the Explorer II but they did not have one.
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2023, 06:44 AM   #40
mmbiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
So that's why no one ask me if I needed a bottle of water and try out some Rolex... I was wearing my Apple Watch Ultra lol

Why I was in China, got to try out both YG Dayton and GMT meteorite dial. I was only wearing my SMP... lol...
mmbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2023, 08:27 AM   #41
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
My AD recently changed their display cases. My SA told me that Rolex has told them they must increase the amount of exhibition models in the store. Will see what happens though.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 01:39 AM   #42
sinbad
"TRF" Member

Sadly, I've been treated poorly at car dealers on more than one occasion. With my current daily suv, the sales person literally walked away from me when I entered and must have made some snide remarks to other staff.

I dealt directly with the sales manager from that point and ended up writing a check for the negotiated amount in full within the hour. As I was leaving the showroom to collect the car, the sales manager brought over the sales person to apologize for pre-judging. I wasn't expecting that, but certainly did appreciate it.

I no longer mind the judging. It lets me know if the store or dealer deserves my business.
sinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 02:17 AM   #43
kg19989
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD 16600 Z Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nly5iv3Digits View Post
ADs will 100% sell display models to walk-in customers with no purchase history. Has been happening a lot to people in my area lately. Seems the market sentiment really is in the toilet.

Barring Rolex boutiques, mom and pop ADs are fetching whatever business they can it looks like. Hope it continues!! :D
That is interesting. Before Moretti's closed they said they would not sell them and they didn't even have papers. Upon their closing, Rolex came and destroyed all signage and took the display models.
kg19989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 04:17 AM   #44
Bartolo
"TRF" Member

I'll be in Las Vegas this coming weekend . . . while we may do a little watch browsing I certainly would not expect to walk into Rolex or AP and be able to buy something.

Having reasonable expectations is reasonable.

Expecting sales staff to treat you like a human also is a reasonable expectation!

The first few words out of your (the browser/customer) mouth can set the tone. It's my nature to always smile and say something nice or at least friendly.
Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 05:05 AM   #45
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg19989 View Post
That is interesting. Before Moretti's closed they said they would not sell them and they didn't even have papers. Upon their closing, Rolex came and destroyed all signage and took the display models.
Moretti's told me they sold all the display models. I asked about a GMT and they said someone else already bought it.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 02:02 PM   #46
AlabamaLawyer1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Visited Rolex Boutique at the Wynn Las Vegas - Reporting in

Sorry to hear about your experience at the Wynn AD. I went in there this summer and they had several models on display and the staff appeared to be helpful and courteous, but never know about turn over in sin city. When I went to watches of Switzerland, I thought I was at a used car lot by how aggressive their people were. I walked in at 1:00 and by 1:03, they had my country ass bout to swipe my Amex for a DD40 and a 16710!!! I had to go back to the blackjack tables where it was safe.

DM

Old 8 December 2023, 08:37 AM   #47
pandajoe
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ Sub Pepsi SkyD
We just got back from LV - visited all the Rolex ADs

Agree- the Wynn location - they had zero engagement - totally lifeless
Bellagio, Aria, Caesars boutique and Bucherer - were all very welcoming, would engage with us and talk watches, really enjoyed it

Wynn - SS blue Sub for sale
Caesars - three TT DJs for sale - all gone in 30min
Aria - black Deep Sea for sale

And in Chicago the week before
Rolex AD on Michigan had blue bezel Sub and two TT DJ's for sale
pandajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 08:59 AM   #48
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandajoe View Post

Bellagio, Aria, Caesars boutique and Bucherer - were all very welcoming, would engage with us and talk watches, really enjoyed it

The Rolex AD on Michigan is very challenging, so it's encouraging to finally see some pieces for sale. That is an encouraging sign.
Old 8 December 2023, 10:46 AM   #49
TreatYoSelfRolexus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandajoe View Post

Interesting. I have been in Bucherer at Cesar’s several times and not once has anyone spoken to me. They always have a huge selection on display, so I really would have liked to try on some watches, but I have given up.

The team in the other Rolex AD at Cesar’s were super friendly and helpful. Same at Bellagio (they called me within a month with my dream watch) and I also always enjoy going into the Wynn. Multiple people always chat with me at the Wynn. Guess this is the whole YMMV.

TreatYoSelfRolexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2023, 01:12 AM   #50
relix63
"TRF" Member

I was treated great at the Wynn the last time I was in Vegas and I wasn't dressed much different than the OP. Got a call a few days later from the SA offering me the watch I was looking at.
relix63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2023, 06:07 AM   #51
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Moretti's told me they sold all the display models. I asked about a GMT and they said someone else already bought it.
I went to Moretti's before they announced they were closing and wouldn't bat an eye at me, Lee Michael's is my go to. I have purchased two Rolex from them in 3 yrs.
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2023, 06:27 AM   #52
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarexplorerii View Post
I went to Moretti's before they announced they were closing and wouldn't bat an eye at me, Lee Michael's is my go to. I have purchased two Rolex from them in 3 yrs.
You must be local to them. When I visited they said "Go back to your home town."
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2023, 01:48 PM   #53
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Nothing new here. Dealers have been snotty for as long as I have been collecting...even when the cases were full of Rolex!

I always liked it! Snottier the better.
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2023, 01:57 PM   #54
goodolejr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
And PS, off topic: after visiting the stores I turned $200 into $3377 on a craps table in less than 45 minutes.

What was your strategy?
Old 9 December 2023, 05:31 PM   #55
LndLord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmainspring View Post
What was for sale?

I think thats the question everyone wants to know
LndLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2023, 06:01 PM   #56
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL997 View Post
Whenever you or anyone else reading goes into an AD get sleeve up on the arm of your Rolex and sleeve down on the other arm. Be seen and be obvious, that way youre hitting slap shots at the AD instead of them at you.

One needs to set the tone immediately upon entry who is in control and the AD can better weed out the tire kickers.

Besides when you wear Daytona youre no longer told how hard the market is, you are the market.
Basically this. While of course staff shouldn't judge on appearence, if you go into a Rolex boutique looking like you just walked off a basketball court, you will often receive conscious or unconscious negative bias. It's snobby, it's arrogant, it's elitist, but it's unfortunately human and its been happening for thousands of years in various forms.

At the very least OP should have rolled his sleeves up so they could have seen his watch to know that he is serious and the tone would have been different. Whenever I have the aim of going into any luxury watch boutique I am wearing my Sky Dweller and if the weather sucks I remove my jacket at the entrance to show that I intend to make my self comfortable.

To some extent, at least in instances like this, you do have to swallow your pride and play the game laid out before you.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote