The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 January 2024, 07:54 AM   #91
TomInNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
The "least" popular sports Rolex? I don't know about that. I think the Air King doesn't really fit anywhere in the Rolex lineup, but that's just me. I don't have any sales figures to back this up.

The "issue" with the SD43, and I own one, love it, and cherish it, is that there is so much Rolex fanboy'ism attached to the previous Sea Dweller model that it suffers from the "well it's not.....[insert overly praised model here]" - ism.

People complain about it having a cyclops. People complain it's too big. People complain it's not as tool-like like the Deepsea. People complain that it has the 32XX movement. People complain it has a helium escape valve.
People complain it looks too much like the Sub, and some people complain that it's not Sub-like enough (ie, too big, bulky, whatever).

I mean, people are trying so hard to find a reason to hate it. It's irrational. You can never, ever please a Rolex fanboy.

I think it's the Rolex model that will steadily be looked back on as the keeper in the dive watch group. It is more purposeful and capable than the Sub (which has had a cyclops forever by the way).

It's also infinitely more wearable than the Deepsea (which is too big and heavy in my book and also has a helium escape valve).

The splash of red gives it more dial presence and gives it some pop.

I find the cyclops makes the date infinitely more readable, and therefore, more practical.

It looks really really good on rubber strap, something that I cannot say of the Deepsea, nor, in most executions, the Sub.

Would take this model over the Explorer I or II or Air King or Milgauss, and yes standard Sub/Sub-Date any day.

I would rank this third behind the Daytona and GMT models in terms of Rolex's best sports watch lineup (yes, ahead of the Sub).

But again, my 2 cents.
I’ve never understood why everyone likes the Submariner Date but dislikes the SD43 because it has a cyclops. I own the SD43 and the no-date Sub (i.e., the true Submariner). I think I did it right and got the best of both models.
TomInNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2024, 09:36 AM   #92
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duralex View Post
From your Deepsea pictures you seem more of a Sub guy
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2024, 04:51 PM   #93
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
The "least" popular sports Rolex? I don't know about that. I think the Air King doesn't really fit anywhere in the Rolex lineup, but that's just me. I don't have any sales figures to back this up.

The "issue" with the SD43, and I own one, love it, and cherish it, is that there is so much Rolex fanboy'ism attached to the previous Sea Dweller model that it suffers from the "well it's not.....[insert overly praised model here]" - ism.

People complain about it having a cyclops. People complain it's too big. People complain it's not as tool-like like the Deepsea. People complain that it has the 32XX movement. People complain it has a helium escape valve.
People complain it looks too much like the Sub, and some people complain that it's not Sub-like enough (ie, too big, bulky, whatever).

I mean, people are trying so hard to find a reason to hate it. It's irrational. You can never, ever please a Rolex fanboy.

I think it's the Rolex model that will steadily be looked back on as the keeper in the dive watch group. It is more purposeful and capable than the Sub (which has had a cyclops forever by the way).

It's also infinitely more wearable than the Deepsea (which is too big and heavy in my book and also has a helium escape valve).

The splash of red gives it more dial presence and gives it some pop.

I find the cyclops makes the date infinitely more readable, and therefore, more practical.

It looks really really good on rubber strap, something that I cannot say of the Deepsea, nor, in most executions, the Sub.

Would take this model over the Explorer I or II or Air King or Milgauss, and yes standard Sub/Sub-Date any day.

I would rank this third behind the Daytona and GMT models in terms of Rolex's best sports watch lineup (yes, ahead of the Sub).

But again, my 2 cents.
Agree totally with above, especially with SD43 over black Submariner if you have the wrist for it.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2024, 06:53 PM   #94
ScouseJim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGMT View Post
A couple of reasons I think the SD43 is easier to get:
- Size (but I'll say, most real men look better with a SD43)
- The SD43 costs more than a Sub at Retail, so your AD would rather sell you the SD43 and hold back a Sub
- Similar, The Sub is cheaper (at retail) and it is more of an icon (more desired by the general public), so that makes the SD43 feel like a worse value proposition.
- Fit... I believe most people can wear the SD43 comfortably, however I also believe it is an uncomfortable watch and the case back is awkward for a smaller % of the population.

Because of all this you have people who would take their SD43 over anything else (myself included) and others who just can't stand it.
I, for one, kinda love the fact that it isn't as much of a hype piece.
ScouseJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2024, 03:16 AM   #95
SearChart
TechXpert

What a gem of a thread I'm glad I don't need to prove my manliness with the size of a watch

It is a nice model though, I especially like the red text
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2024, 09:09 AM   #96
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
I like look of the SD43 better than the Sub or Deepsea, it is the best looking of all Rolex divers IMO. It's just not comfortable.

I think it is still more popular than my black dial DSSD though. YMII probably least desirable.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2024, 06:45 PM   #97
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
I will sell every watch I own before my SD43 goes away.

It’s like a sub, but for men.
This statement sums up why a lot of Rolex enthusiast don’t like it…
Njkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2024, 11:07 PM   #98
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

My favorite of Rolex 3 dive watches--and I've owned all three of them. It's like a Submariner--but for big, burly men like me.
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 01:21 AM   #99
davie489
"TRF" Member

Sd4k is the sweet spot
davie489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 03:01 AM   #100
2thdock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Love mine. Wrist just under 7 and it’s fine. I think the extra cost over the sub is a big deal. More than 4K more! I like the minute markers going all the way around the bezel.
Old 28 January 2024, 03:24 AM   #101
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdieman View Post
Seems like the SD43 can be easily found(relatively speaking) at an AD and seems to sell at MSRP(new) on grey. Also seems to sell for less than retail for a used model. Why is that?? Seems like a watch that looks great. Size??
The answer is no, that accolade goes to the YMII, albeit followed perhaps closely by the SD43
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote