The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 4 December 2023, 05:34 AM   #1
agent_orange
"TRF" Member

Cartier Santos - Doesn't Wind

Hello,

Less than 2 years ago I bought a Cartier Santos Medium no-date with the in-house MC1847 movement.
I almost didn't wear the watch (it saw less that 10 hours of wrist time every month).
However, it always seemed to keep perfect time and maintained >40 hours of power reserve.

Last Friday, after winding it fully I wore it for an evening out.
Next morning, I saw that it stopped.
I wound the crown again many time and although I could feel the gears engaging it didn't start the second hand.
Only after tilting it from side to side it started moving but stopped again after a minute or so.
So to me it seems like the watch is able to get some power from the oscillating weight - but not from winding the crown.

What do you think might be the problem ?
Any suggestions before I take it to the service center ?
agent_orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2023, 06:32 AM   #2
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
I would go to your local AD with a warranty card and send it for a service. They should fix this under the warranty without the additional costs
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2023, 06:48 AM   #3
wesdaniel
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1968 View Post
I would go to your local AD with a warranty card and send it for a service. They should fix this under the warranty without the additional costs
This. It has a long warranty (presuming that you registered it and extended it), so it makes way more sense to take it in and have it looked at and fixed (if necessary) than to risk doing anything else.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 01:38 AM   #4
agent_orange
"TRF" Member

Got back my Santos today from the OD.
They said they "demagnetized the watch and resealed the case"

I don't understand how this has anything to do with the original problem of it not being able to run after winding fully.
So I guess they fixed the problem without fully understanding what it was - but the bottom line is that it's working fine now.
agent_orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 01:43 AM   #5
wesdaniel
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent_orange View Post
Got back my Santos today from the OD.
They said they "demagnetized the watch and resealed the case"

I don't understand how this has anything to do with the original problem of it not being able to run after winding fully.
So I guess they fixed the problem without fully understanding what it was - but the bottom line is that it's working fine now.
I'm a little surprised that they even told you that. I've never sent a watch out for warranty service where they've told me anything other than that they serviced (and maybe polished) it.

I have two JLC watches that, between them, have been in for service five times in six years - never had a response as to what the issue was (except the last one they said what component they replaced). Two Rolex went in for warranty service - with them, nothing other than, "it's ready to be picked up."

But, congrats on having the watch back. It's great to have their long-term warranty!
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote