The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 March 2019, 02:18 AM   #1
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Rolex Yacht-Master II 8 Months Later (Personal Experiences, Thoughts and More)

Hey Guys, Kevin Leo here!

Today I'm gonna be talking about my Rolex Purchase I've made in 2018 so without further ado let's get started.

I purchased the watch after having my eye on it for around 5 to 6 years, always wanted one but never thought about paying so much for a watch in my life honestly, at $38,000 US Dollars it's more than a lot of cars these days so I'm sure some of you if not all could understand why I really didn't think I would be getting one (note: I personally got a nice discount on the watch bringing it down to $34,500)

The first time picking up the watch will definitely Surprise you at a minimum if you've handled any smaller Rolex's before. The massive weight and case sizing of 44mm gives this watch in my opinion the title of beast. This thing shocked me when holding it for the first time and trying it on my wrist gave itself a presence that couldn't be ignored. The size and weight won't let you forget that you have it on. Now that might not be true for people who wear army tanks on their wrists but I've only dealt with Rolex Watches in my life and was upgrading from a regular 40mm Yacht-Master in Gold so the jump in size/weight is substantial.

Fast forward a few months and the watch still has that effect on me, not as much as the first time (because I anticipate it now) but whenever I get it out of the safe deposit box it makes me smile holding such a weighty beast. The watch as I said in my YouTube review is a Solid Gold Heavy Hitter.

The watch features a regatta chronograph, a timer to count down 10 Minutes for a regatta race. I don't know too much about the race itself so I won't put in lies here to make myself sound cool and like I know what I'm talking about but what I do know is that if you rotate the bezel and press a button the timer starts counting down from 10 Minutes. This could be adjusted to start at 9 Minutes, 8, 7, you get the idea. I've never really used this feature in the few months of owning the watch because I don't really find anything to time whenever I'm wearing it. Lots of people wear their watches to work or just wear them daily in general where I only take it out of the safe when I know I'm going out on a nice date with the wife, somewhere with Valet, so my time wearing the watch isn't as significant as a lot of desk job Rolex owners. My job is taking apart and repairing Pharmaceutical Machines (Such as a Bosch GKF 1500) So wearing a Rolex while repairing machines is a very bad idea and could damage the watch.

Now here comes something I couldn't wait to talk about, the comments I've received about the watch.

In person, I've received nothing but Positive Feedback about the watch. In the few months of ownership I've gotten about 7 to 10 comments saying " that's a very nice watch" or "wow that's a nice watch"

This is from people who own Rolex watches or know about Rolex watches. Most of the comments was from friends at church in the parking lot after service was over, one time a waiter commented on it from Cheesecake Factory and another time was at a mall, the guy in line was also wearing a Rolex (pretty sure it was a Datejust)

Online however... is where things get interesting...

I've seen about 50/50 with the comments for the watch, some say the watch is amazing and is beautiful and the other 50% just bash as hard as they can.

Now being new to forums and online watch communities I was shocked at first, I can very well see someone saying it isn't their type of watch, isn't for them... But saying it's the "ugliest f@%$ing watch ever" and "Rolex's worst watch ever created" and let's not forget "Most useless complication ever"

I've seen plenty of watches I didn't like from Rolex in person and online and have never said that their hard earned expensive purchase is disgusting or anything along the lines. To me that's just unacceptable behavior. I think the Bugatti Veyron is the ugliest car in the world. If I seen someone drive it I'm not gonna tell them that. It's their purchase if they like it that's all that matters.

And when it comes to complications I very rarely hear people in person use their complications, a lot of people online say they do but I've never met a Rolex owner that says he uses it daily or once a week.

Bottom line is, the watch definitely grabs attention. The internet will definitely talk bad about anything you buy but in person I've never gotten any bad feedback about the watch and I honestly don't think I will.

After 8 Months, the watch is looking great (although having a few minor scratches) works as expected and keeps me smiling.

After so many years of wanting, finally being able to own it is such an amazing feeling, even months after purchase I still smile when putting in on. When checking the time I get lost and sometimes have to look at it again because I forgot to check the time the first time looking because I got distracted by the sheer beauty of the Rolex.

Almost forgot to mention that the watch is wearable with mostly anyting, I've worn it to church with a suit on and I've worn it to a nice dinner with jeans and a hoodie it just looks good with anything which is hard to say about a gold watch usually the stainless steel watches are Universal. But I definitely don't recommend wearing this watch with a red shirt it just does not look right in my opinion yellow gold white and then red... yeah I don't wear red with it haha

I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants one. It's in my honest opinion one of the more beautiful Rolex watches out there and I couldn't be happier. If you want to see a video review of this watch check out my YouTube review https://youtu.be/TBF9ZlIntk8

If you guys have any questions feel free to leave a reply and I will gladly answer!

(this is my first post like this, if there's something off about it please let me know so I can fix/adjust)

(this post was originally for reddit, put I thought I'd put it here as well)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
RolexReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 02:24 AM   #2
mlgonal
"TRF" Member

beautiful watch! I think my wrist is too small for a 44mm or I'd def consider it!
mlgonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 02:35 AM   #3
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Excellent choice, owned it but sold due to my wrist being a touch too small for the 44mm case. Enjoy that beauty!

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 02:39 AM   #4
Vince KSA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
I love this watch, I just posted on another thread how I tried it on (photo below) recently and am seriously considering it, its a beast, but a beautiful beast.

I also agree there are are some very harsh criticism of this watch on this forum, and as you allude to at times just plain rude. If you don't like it just politely say not my cup tea. However to call someone's watch Fugly, useless and worse, thats simply not necessary to say when someone has just forked out $35K on his dream watch.

I admire anyone who buys this watch, as with the depreciation it really is a heart over head purchase. Personally I love it in this configuration, and I will have it one day - inshallah!

Nice update and thanks for sharing your experiences so far.

Gold TMII.jpg
Patek Philippe 5168-G (Aquanaut Blue) - Rolex Daytona 116508 Green Dial - Rolex Submariner 116619LB ( Smurf) - Panerai 1116 (Platinum 1 of 70) - Panerai 932 Radiomir 47mm - Panerai 968 Submersible "Bronzo" - NOMOS Glashutte Club 453 Campus - SS Omega Seamaster Orange - Porsche Design GMT - G Shock Solar - Tag F1 Circa 1995 - J W Benson Circa 1950. ( F.PJ. Complication on order 👍🏼)
Vince KSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 02:42 AM   #5
johnny.tran1
2024 Pledge Member

don't worry what others think. as long as you like it that's all that matters.
johnny.tran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 02:48 AM   #6
Odie-r
"TRF" Member

Its a stunner. Don't bother with the haters. As long as you like it, you're good!
Old 10 March 2019, 02:54 AM   #7
ADR1982
"TRF" Member

Nice review!
ADR1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 02:58 AM   #8
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince KSA View Post
I admire anyone who buys this watch, as with the depreciation it really is a heart over head purchase. Personally I love it in this configuration, and I will have it one day
Everyone on the internet seems to buy Rolex watches to flip/invest or will only buy a watch if its popular or go up in value right away.

I purchased this watch because I honestly love it for everything it is.

Can't wait to see a incoming post from you in the future

Old 10 March 2019, 03:02 AM   #9
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexReviews View Post
Everyone on the internet seems to buy Rolex watches to flip/invest or will only buy a watch if its popular or go up in value right away.

I purchased this watch because I honestly love it for everything it is.

Can't wait to see a incoming post from you in the future

buying a watch because you love it is what it should all be about tbh, glad you are enjoying it
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 03:12 AM   #10
r8t3d_M
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me ;)
Great review of a great reference. As you know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but it’s definitely one of my favorites. I have the SS version in my stable but will add the WG version one day..until then I’ll continue to enjoy mine.

Old 10 March 2019, 03:21 AM   #11
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
It’s one of my favorite watches. I’ve had mine since November and can barley take it off. Great review. Wear yours in good health.
Old 10 March 2019, 03:30 AM   #12
rlrobson08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexReviews View Post
Hey Guys, Kevin Leo here!

Today I'm gonna be talking about my Rolex Purchase I've made in 2018 so without further ado let's get started.

I purchased the watch after having my eye on it for around 5 to 6 years, always wanted one but never thought about paying so much for a watch in my life honestly, at $38,000 US Dollars it's more than a lot of cars these days so I'm sure some of you if not all could understand why I really didn't think I would be getting one (note: I personally got a nice discount on the watch bringing it down to $34,500)

The first time picking up the watch will definitely Surprise you at a minimum if you've handled any smaller Rolex's before. The massive weight and case sizing of 44mm gives this watch in my opinion the title of beast. This thing shocked me when holding it for the first time and trying it on my wrist gave itself a presence that couldn't be ignored. The size and weight won't let you forget that you have it on. Now that might not be true for people who wear army tanks on their wrists but I've only dealt with Rolex Watches in my life and was upgrading from a regular 40mm Yacht-Master in Gold so the jump in size/weight is substantial.

Fast forward a few months and the watch still has that effect on me, not as much as the first time (because I anticipate it now) but whenever I get it out of the safe deposit box it makes me smile holding such a weighty beast. The watch as I said in my YouTube review is a Solid Gold Heavy Hitter.

The watch features a regatta chronograph, a timer to count down 10 Minutes for a regatta race. I don't know too much about the race itself so I won't put in lies here to make myself sound cool and like I know what I'm talking about but what I do know is that if you rotate the bezel and press a button the timer starts counting down from 10 Minutes. This could be adjusted to start at 9 Minutes, 8, 7, you get the idea. I've never really used this feature in the few months of owning the watch because I don't really find anything to time whenever I'm wearing it. Lots of people wear their watches to work or just wear them daily in general where I only take it out of the safe when I know I'm going out on a nice date with the wife, somewhere with Valet, so my time wearing the watch isn't as significant as a lot of desk job Rolex owners. My job is taking apart and repairing Pharmaceutical Machines (Such as a Bosch GKF 1500) So wearing a Rolex while repairing machines is a very bad idea and could damage the watch.

Now here comes something I couldn't wait to talk about, the comments I've received about the watch.

In person, I've received nothing but Positive Feedback about the watch. In the few months of ownership I've gotten about 7 to 10 comments saying " that's a very nice watch" or "wow that's a nice watch"

This is from people who own Rolex watches or know about Rolex watches. Most of the comments was from friends at church in the parking lot after service was over, one time a waiter commented on it from Cheesecake Factory and another time was at a mall, the guy in line was also wearing a Rolex (pretty sure it was a Datejust)

Online however... is where things get interesting...

I've seen about 50/50 with the comments for the watch, some say the watch is amazing and is beautiful and the other 50% just bash as hard as they can.

Now being new to forums and online watch communities I was shocked at first, I can very well see someone saying it isn't their type of watch, isn't for them... But saying it's the "ugliest f@%$ing watch ever" and "Rolex's worst watch ever created" and let's not forget "Most useless complication ever"

I've seen plenty of watches I didn't like from Rolex in person and online and have never said that their hard earned expensive purchase is disgusting or anything along the lines. To me that's just unacceptable behavior. I think the Bugatti Veyron is the ugliest car in the world. If I seen someone drive it I'm not gonna tell them that. It's their purchase if they like it that's all that matters.

And when it comes to complications I very rarely hear people in person use their complications, a lot of people online say they do but I've never met a Rolex owner that says he uses it daily or once a week.

Bottom line is, the watch definitely grabs attention. The internet will definitely talk bad about anything you buy but in person I've never gotten any bad feedback about the watch and I honestly don't think I will.

After 8 Months, the watch is looking great (although having a few minor scratches) works as expected and keeps me smiling.

After so many years of wanting, finally being able to own it is such an amazing feeling, even months after purchase I still smile when putting in on. When checking the time I get lost and sometimes have to look at it again because I forgot to check the time the first time looking because I got distracted by the sheer beauty of the Rolex.

Almost forgot to mention that the watch is wearable with mostly anyting, I've worn it to church with a suit on and I've worn it to a nice dinner with jeans and a hoodie it just looks good with anything which is hard to say about a gold watch usually the stainless steel watches are Universal. But I definitely don't recommend wearing this watch with a red shirt it just does not look right in my opinion yellow gold white and then red... yeah I don't wear red with it haha

I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants one. It's in my honest opinion one of the more beautiful Rolex watches out there and I couldn't be happier. If you want to see a video review of this watch check out my YouTube review https://youtu.be/TBF9ZlIntk8

If you guys have any questions feel free to leave a reply and I will gladly answer!

(this is my first post like this, if there's something off about it please let me know so I can fix/adjust)

(this post was originally for reddit, put I thought I'd put it here as well)

A very nice watch. Your observations are not singular. Your thoughts mirror most of mine. I find it incredibly interesting all the rage in Rolex these days are sport models in the same material as flat wear (Rolex is laughing all the way to the bank). So much tho, these same people bash the exact same watch in precious metal. If the watch is made of gold . The comment is, "gold is for old geezers". In my personal survey I have noticed a lot of these same people have tatted up wrists to their elbows. That to me is the interesting element. Anyway, long ago I received a bit of advice, which holds true to this day. When people start paying my bill's, I will start worrying about what these people think.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
rlrobson08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 03:37 AM   #13
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Saw one in NY in January.One of those that you have to see in the metal !
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 04:45 AM   #14
casadecamporolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Always admired this reference and would casually give a thumbs up to anyone wearing it. Clearly, it is very impressive.
Yet too big for my wrist as 40mm is my limit.
casadecamporolex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 05:29 AM   #15
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Great watch with loads of style and wrist presence, IMO.

As far as the internet comments... I used to have a friend say, "the computer screen makes a brave man out of the biggest coward." How true (and sad) that is.

What's even more disappointing is that a number of the members here can't express their opinion without insulting somebody's watch. SMH.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 05:31 AM   #16
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Grats, looks great!
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 06:50 AM   #17
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
I agree and why I really veered away from the forums in the past year. Gang/mob mentality and ignorant comments

Yea I own YMII YG, but I also own/ed what these so called "enthusiasts" would then say is amazing (perp patek, etc) which imo have been the most unreliable overrated watches for me, they'd make nice comments on that but then I'm gaudy with a gold YMII lol. Inconsistent

We buy and wear what makes US happy, however, I feel that notion has been lost in this day and age of watches (hype and rarity has taken over), also the respect aspect. Some guys just think their comments are "cool" or make them look funny, exact opposite!

Keep enjoying that beauty, also glad to know that there are other likeminded people out there that have a preference/opinion and are respectful of others who don't share the same :)
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 07:01 AM   #18
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I think in YG it's absolutely stunning, however since I don't race yachts I can't see it for myself. It looks great though. Enjoy!
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 08:18 AM   #19
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
I feel that notion has been lost in this day and age of watches (hype and rarity has taken over), also the respect aspect. Some guys just think their comments are "cool" or make them look funny, exact opposite!
I 100% agree, hype and rarity has become the center of attention in the Rolex environment. In my opinion the Hulk is not something I would personally wear, not my style (see how I phrased that as a normal human being? seems easy enough) but people are going crazy for it because it's in demand and when someone posts a picture of it the watch gets nothing but Positive feedback

Old 14 February 2024, 09:43 PM   #20
Uncle_Monty
"TRF" Member

I purchased my Rolex Hulk when they were in every AD shop window with no waitist. They weren't a popular model. I've just added a Yacht Master II ref 116688 to my collection, another unpopular model due to it's 44mm case size the "Haters" say. However the James Cameron Deep Sea is the same 44mm case size, and that's a very popular model. Wait till the YMII Is discontinued , then it will become a "Grail" model. Just my thoughts.
Uncle_Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 10:25 PM   #21
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Monty View Post
I purchased my Rolex Hulk when they were in every AD shop window with no waitist. They weren't a popular model. I've just added a Yacht Master II ref 116688 to my collection, another unpopular model due to it's 44mm case size the "Haters" say. However the James Cameron Deep Sea is the same 44mm case size, and that's a very popular model. Wait till the YMII Is discontinued , then it will become a "Grail" model. Just my thoughts.
Maybe. I like them all, just to different degrees.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 10:33 PM   #22
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Monty View Post
No chance, too ostentatious. What matters is that you love the piece - all the rest should be noise and irrelevant to you!
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 06:57 AM   #23
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
What’s with the 5 year old thread coming back? Why do people do this?

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 08:10 AM   #24
RTG

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
What’s with the 5 year old thread coming back? Why do people do this?

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I like seeing them pop back up! It's only odd when I reply to it, then realize I also replied to in 5 years earlier

I like the YMII also. Fun watch for fun people. Non-fun people won't/can't understand it.
Old 15 February 2024, 12:36 PM   #25
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Well, since it’s a five year old thread, I will add a five year old pic of this watch when I had it. Long gone since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 12:57 PM   #26
favx
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny.tran1 View Post
don't worry what others think. as long as you like it that's all that matters.
favx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 02:11 PM   #27
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Maybe TRF should lock a thread after a certain period say 5 years.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 08:38 PM   #28
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
27 posts in 5 years, says a lot about how little interest there is for this piece. No offense to owners, just stating a fact.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote