The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 February 2024, 03:01 PM   #31
Parshu
2024 Pledge Member

I got my DJ in 2021 and was able to get $500 off MSRP from AD in NJ !!!!

It all depends on your history with the AD. I had purchased few things from my AD. I was getting a deal from other AD, difference was around $800+. To me it was a decent deal from someone local so I took the $500 off MSRP and purchased it from him.

Its a major AD in NJ, he was the one who gave me 3 choices on DD in August last year. So if you build history with local AD they will help you.
Parshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2024, 03:12 AM   #32
redted
"TRF" Member

Hi there!!!
This is my first post and I would like to thank the community for all the information provided since I am in the market for a Rolex watch (about 2 years ago)

I just would like to share my experience at a local AD down the road where I leave in Africa.

I visited the same AD in October and they had absolutely nothing to sell, except a few day dates, saying that they have not been delivered any watches since summer.

This afternoon, I popped up again and it was a different story.

First of all, the experience was very pleasant, with 3 SAs taking good care of me (no other customers).

The store was somehow replenished and as far far as I understood, the owner started to implement the following strategy in 2024 (not clear if based on Rolex instructions)
1) there is only waiting list for the hot SS models: Daytona, Pepsi, Batman, Sprite and sub.
2) all the rest on a first come first served basis

As a consequence, the following models were available for sale:
1) an OP 41mm on black dial
2) an Airking
3) a rootbear
4) a deep-sea
5) a yachtmaster 40mm everose gold on oysterflex
6) a PM sea-dweller
7) a 1908
8) many sky-dweller
9) a sub date on wg
10) and some more PM watches and lady models

Personally, I enjoyed the Daytona a lot more than all the hot models (I could try them all) but I didn't bother to register my interest and play the game.

I didn't like at all the Airking, that I found too busy .
The OP was very nice and I hesitated. The feeling of the oysterflex was incredible on the yacht-master.

Unfortunately I am totally set on a yachtmaster 40mm rolesium with the blue dial.
According to the nice SAs, they didn't see one in the last two years, while the black dial are more frequent.

So overall a very nice experience, not a revolution (no SS hot models of course) and I will give it more tries, as they receive stock every two weeks. A lot different than my visits last week in several ADs in Brussels and Antwerp, with a few slow moving PM models available...
Worth to mention this is in principle only local market sale, to be paid with a certified check from a local bank.
redted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2024, 08:44 PM   #33
redted
"TRF" Member

I forgot to mention that I have no purchase history, and the AD is as well selling jewellery but it didn't came in the discussion
redted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 04:31 AM   #34
dc7240
"TRF" Member

A lot of information to digest. I Have purchased from 2 AD's in the Minneapolis area. The purchases have not been Rolex, AD's state that their stock is low, but have used Rolexes (In my opinion for to much money). I though if I purchased Tudor, Panerai from them that I might get a call. Any suggestions. Just would like to start off with a beginner Rolex
dc7240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 04:44 AM   #35
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc7240 View Post
A lot of information to digest. I Have purchased from 2 AD's in the Minneapolis area. The purchases have not been Rolex, AD's state that their stock is low, but have used Rolexes (In my opinion for to much money). I though if I purchased Tudor, Panerai from them that I might get a call. Any suggestions. Just would like to start off with a beginner Rolex
Just stick with the plan, Friend: be a good human, make yourself known, buy other things if you truly want them, be the person they want to sell a Rolex to. It’s not a game, it’s just life.

Welcome to the forum.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 04:50 AM   #36
Robison347
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue dial sub
In conversations I’ve had with my local AD, he has said they are not allowed to sell out of their territory. The way he understands that is that you can walk into his store, from far away, say you are in town, and buy a watch. If he sells it in his store face to face, that’s ok. If you are a regular local customer, he can tell you your watch has arrived and mail it to your summer home in Florida, because you live in his territory the rest of the time.

What he can’t do is take a call from someone and do a total mail order sale, out of territory. Even if you live over the state line and are in his territory, he won’t mail it because Rolex may give him trouble over that, and there is no reason for him to take that risk.
Robison347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 05:08 AM   #37
dc7240
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the advice. I have been showing my face to the 2 Local AD's in my area, one is in St. Paul, MN and the other is in Bloomington, MN. Problem with me is that each time I go (which is about every 4-6 months) I end up buying another watch, such as Panerai, Omega Sea master, S&G GMT Tudor, Pelagos etc, etc,. But I do know the SA 's by name and let them know my interest about The Rolexes I want. Maybe my aim is to high (I want the 41mm Celebration Dial or Submariner or Sprite or Bluesy or 42mm Polar Explorer or ..... or..... But I will NOT give up. Thank you for the replies.
dc7240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 05:35 AM   #38
Robison347
2024 Pledge Member

@dc7240 . . . I think visiting the dealer and buying watches, and doing so repeatedly over time, begins to establish you as a client to cultivate. That said, if you want to buy $15k Rolex watches and instead buy $5k watches of another brand, that does not make you a solid buyer of the Rolex piece, should it be available. If you bought $15k pieces from other brands that would be a different story.

I live in a smaller city, and even here there is a long list of people who express interest in a stainless GMT or Daytona. But if 1000 people have said they want one, I doubt there are more than 100 in regular contact, and if a watch shows up, he’s probably got 10 people in mind to call, one at a time, and he might not make more than one call.

So how do you become that person? Obviously being a strong regular buyer helps. Social connections help, particularly in a smaller community. Being known in the community helps, if you are someone the AD thinks would be a good person to talk about your watch, that you got from them. It may mean more that the dealer and you have kids together in school, than someone else spending money. Having a recommendation/request from someone the dealer is friends with/respects/values his connection to may be a big factor too.

Remember ADs are people in their communities and not just faceless sales people. Meet them where they live, so to speak, and make lasting connections. One solid relationship means far more than getting on five lists at five stores.
Old 19 February 2024, 05:40 AM   #39
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Playing AD game

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdude View Post
I went with the AD. They didn’t match. But, did give me a couple bucks and say she appreciates my loyalty to them. My thought in the end is I dont want to buy something I dont want to get the Rolex I want, but if its something I am buying anyhow I would continue my investment in the AD relationship and see if it pays off. I have requests for watches that are 50% over MSRP on the grey market, so if I get even one and this helped it’s worthwhile. This is as opposed to a Speedmaster i ordered Grey to save over 20%. The AD doesn’t carry Omega and I am not sure i would pay $1900 more.

A lot of people comment about getting what they want without buying things, but I think that’s fine if you have had a long time relationship. Newbies need to start somewhere.

That was a smart move. Keep in mind, that it’s not a game, per se, so much as just being nice, and establishing a friendly business relationship, with your SA, and the rest of the staff. I did purchase my wedding jewelry, from my AD. Naturally, I mentioned the date, and they were determined to get me my Silver OP, by that date, and they did. I have now gotten 2 watches within 8 months. The second one, I bought, as a walk in, when the customer, for whom it was allocated, turned it down, in person, while I was in the store. They offered it to me, because they knew me, and liked me, and I had previously shown interest, in the exact configuration of that 36 Wimbledon. That would not have happened, had I not made the effort to just be friendly to the staff. That was just 2 weeks ago. I’ve pretty much been wearing it daily, since I got it. Keep up the good work, and good luck.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 05:50 AM   #40
Robison347
2024 Pledge Member

As @KatGirl pointed out and I alluded to, being there and being liked may be all you need. When a watch is available, and the AD knows you want one, and you are right there . . . They may not feel they “owe” any particular watch to someone else on a list. If the person who just declined it was on their list, and you are there and will be happy to take it . . . Why not?
Old 19 February 2024, 06:06 AM   #41
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc7240 View Post
Thank you for the advice. I have been showing my face to the 2 Local AD's in my area, one is in St. Paul, MN and the other is in Bloomington, MN. Problem with me is that each time I go (which is about every 4-6 months) I end up buying another watch, such as Panerai, Omega Sea master, S&G GMT Tudor, Pelagos etc, etc,. But I do know the SA 's by name and let them know my interest about The Rolexes I want. Maybe my aim is to high (I want the 41mm Celebration Dial or Submariner or Sprite or Bluesy or 42mm Polar Explorer or ..... or..... But I will NOT give up. Thank you for the replies.
I have no idea why you don’t just buy grey or preowned.
Unless you really desire those watches you mentioned, you have spent $30-40k just for the opportunity to purchase new Rolex at retail? Even the preowned Rolex at Rolex AD would have been a more favorable exchange.
Gearjockey is online now   Reply With Quote