The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 February 2024, 04:16 AM   #1
Swissfan
"TRF" Member

Tudor BB36 vs DJ36

For those that have tried both, assuming you go with Jubilee in blue, is the DJ36 worth more than twice the price of the Tudor?

I recently picked up a Sub Date (which I love), and I’m waiting for a Batgirl which will likely take another 12-18 months if I’m lucky. In the meantime, I’d like to acquire a smaller piece on jubilee and am torn between the BB36 and DJ36.

The BB36 seems like a decent value and I really like the Tfit adjustment on the bracelet. Main cons for me are fit and finish (less than Rolex as expected with no fluted option) and the watch dial is similar to Sub and GMT (shapes vs stick markers).

I’m tempted to save $4k and go with the Tudor (have also looked for preowned but haven’t found any great deals), but feel like I may end up regretting not getting the Rolex down the road.

Thanks- Would appreciate everyone’s thoughts!
Swissfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 05:03 PM   #2
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Tudor makes a great watch, and I love my BB58, but it ain’t no Rolex……

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 05:13 PM   #3
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post

Kat

Hear, hear !
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 05:21 PM   #4
makebread
"TRF" Member

In my experience, I’ve experienced more issues regarding fit and finish with Rolex than I have Tudor.

I’ve owned the BB36 twice, currently rock a BB41. Flies under the radar. Unpretentious. Rock solid. It ain’t no Rolex, for sure, but that’s exactly why I love it.

If you really want the Rolex, get the Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
makebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 05:40 PM   #5
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
If the Rolex is what you truly want then I’d suggest getting that. If you bought the Tudor would it always feel like second best?
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 06:27 PM   #6
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
If you covet the Rolex, no other watch will scratch the itch. So do it right the first time and get what you want.

If you just want something nice at a reasonable price with a solid reputation, then the Tudor is a solid option.

I have recommended the BB 36 and 41 since the first generation smiley dial to many (non watch enthusiasts) who have solicited recommendations for a good luxury watch that won’t break the bank and many were thrilled with their purchase.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 10:23 PM   #7
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would assume that this is about the money and not the watch. I am not as familiar with the prices of a 36mm DJ but would assume it is more liquid in the secondary market than a Tudor. While you may save a few dollars with the Tudor purchase when it comes time to sell it, you will typically lose significantly more based on cost than a popular Rolex. Why not look a semi-vintage DJ and get the best of both worlds?
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 10:31 PM   #8
TinFoilCat
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC Ingenieur 3508
The Tudor is a great watch and excellent value for money…. However that’s not a good reason to buy one…. Buy one because you want one… if the Tudor isn’t what you actually want then it won’t make you smile when you look down at your wrist and it’ll be a constant reminder that you should have bought the Rolex.

If you “want” the Tudor then it’s a no brainier, get the Tudor… it’s a great watch.

If you want the Rolex then it’s a no brainier, get the Rolex…. If you can afford either then don’t compromise.
TinFoilCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 10:32 PM   #9
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

I only buy watches if I really like them. I never compromise getting something that doesn’t move me. So if the Tudor moved me more than the Rolex, I’d have no issue adding it instead. If a “gap fill” I’d pass.
BraveBold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 10:35 PM   #10
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinFoilCat View Post
The Tudor is a great watch and excellent value for money…. However that’s not a good reason to buy one…. Buy one because you want one… if the Tudor isn’t what you actually want then it won’t make you smile when you look down at your wrist and it’ll be a constant reminder that you should have bought the Rolex.

If you “want” the Tudor then it’s a no brainier, get the Tudor… it’s a great watch.

If you want the Rolex then it’s a no brainier, get the Rolex…. If you can afford either then don’t compromise.
Almost identical sentiment to my post… which I must have been typing at the same time as you. Could have saved my thumbs.
BraveBold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 02:30 AM   #11
Benjack
Banned

It all depends on what you really would like to add, IMO I would always want to add a Rolex instead.
Benjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 03:26 AM   #12
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissfan View Post
For those that have tried both, assuming you go with Jubilee in blue, is the DJ36 worth more than twice the price of the Tudor?

I recently picked up a Sub Date (which I love), and I’m waiting for a Batgirl which will likely take another 12-18 months if I’m lucky. In the meantime, I’d like to acquire a smaller piece on jubilee and am torn between the BB36 and DJ36.

The BB36 seems like a decent value and I really like the Tfit adjustment on the bracelet. Main cons for me are fit and finish (less than Rolex as expected with no fluted option) and the watch dial is similar to Sub and GMT (shapes vs stick markers).

I’m tempted to save $4k and go with the Tudor (have also looked for preowned but haven’t found any great deals), but feel like I may end up regretting not getting the Rolex down the road.

Thanks- Would appreciate everyone’s thoughts!
If you have the Sub Date, then you have SS Sport / Dive watch covered by the Icon. The BB 58 is fantastic, but … I’d go DJ 36 here.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 03:55 AM   #13
Travis29
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV / BLNR
Rolex all day everyday
Travis29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 04:17 AM   #14
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:

Kat

I agree. Plus, the fluted bezel is a massive upgrade (IMHO).

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 04:44 AM   #15
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I agree. Plus, the fluted bezel is a massive upgrade (IMHO).

I don’t even get why anyone would buy a Datejust, without the fluted bezel. It’s what makes it a Datejust, IMO. Having said that, Roger Federer’s bimetal Wimbledon looks sweet, with the gold domed bezel. I’ll make an exception for him…..

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 05:01 AM   #16
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinFoilCat View Post

If you want the Rolex then it’s a no brainier, get the Rolex…. If you can't afford either then don’t compromise.
OP, heed this statement. I'd rather have no watch today in exchange for the watch I want tomorrow, than a watch today that I won't love tomorrow. The 36mm DJ (fluted & jubilee, of course) is sublime & in my opinion, the definition of the category. It dresses up to go to work & dinner, then dresses down for weekends. Let me know the next time you're diving more than 101m & I'll then reconsider the Tudor. For pools, ocean swimming & even recreational dives (rarely more than 35-ish meters), your DJ won't miss a beat.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 05:12 AM   #17
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
Quote:
I don’t even get why anyone would buy a Datejust, without the fluted bezel. It’s what makes it a Datejust, IMO. Having said that, Roger Federer’s bimetal Wimbledon looks sweet, with the gold domed bezel. I’ll make an exception for him…..

Kat

budget i guess
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 05:23 AM   #18
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Tudor BB36 vs DJ36

I like many Tudor watches, especially the BB58 (the BB36 is cool too), but they will never scratch the Rolex itch.

You clearly have the itch and based on what you wrote, the Tudor would be settling in order to save money. For those reasons, the Tudor would be a mistake for you and I suggest holding out for the DJ.

I have tried on all the BBs many times and I own a DJ 36. The Rolex feels much more substantial.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 06:14 AM   #19
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Go for the DJ. If you get the BB36 you'll probably end up trading for the DJ down the road anyway
Old 21 February 2024, 06:26 AM   #20
Swissfan
"TRF" Member

Thanks all- appreciate the responses. Can always count on this group for great perspective!

I agree with the overall sentiment that I’d probably be compromising with the BB36. I was trying to convince myself that I could be happy with a nice watch by many standards and save some money along the way. The idea of buying it new off the shelf with no wait was also attractive (I prefer purchasing from my AD over grey), but it’s a lifelong purchase and shouldn’t be rushed for instant gratification to fill a gap.
Swissfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 12:54 PM   #21
Watchsprings
"TRF" Member

I have 3 Tudors(P39, BB Pro, BB Chrono white )and some Rolex (Pepsi, Sub date, Exp 1) in my small collection. I tried the BB36 several times and was really close to pulling the trigger but waited for the DJ36 blue dial. So glad I did. It is one of my favorite pieces. As much as I like Tudor, it’s no contest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4919.jpeg (148.4 KB, 101 views)
Watchsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 01:14 PM   #22
Flypanam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Kat

A datejust without a fluted bezel is just an OP with a cyclops to me. Honestly would prefer a straight up Oyster Perpetual over a smooth bezel datejust, because at least the OP looks cleaner and sportier, with good proportions, sleek cyclops-less look, and a fully brushed oyster bracelet.

With regard to the original question -- The non-diver (aka smooth non-dive bezel) black bays always looked weird to me. I don't know if it's the proportions of the case, or the dial, or what, but there's just always something off when I personally look at it.

But there's a lot to like, too. I mean, it's a Tudor. It's a quality watch, on par with Omega, Breitling, etc. There is no discussion there. The Tudor movement is absolutely great. Not as nice as Rolex, and I don't think the METAS certification has his that specific model yet (has it?? idk), but it's still a 70 hour COSC certified in-house movement. Also the bracelet with the T-fit clasp is great. I enjoy the ease and adjustability over the Rolex easy link on the DJ. The price being half that of a DJ, and easy to get at retail, are all pro's as well.

The Rolex is obviously going to be better-finished, hold its value better, use better materials, have a wider range of dial options, have a better movement, be more instantly recognizable as a quality timepiece, etc. But is it worth more than twice as much?

In the end, they're both great watches. Whether the one with the Coronet logo is worth the premium is something only you can answer.
Tudor: Pelagos 42 Blue; North Flag; BB GMT
Best of the rest: Zenith Defy Classic Skeleton; Panerai Luminor PAM1085 Blu Mare; Hermes H08 Madison LE; Grand Seiko Soko SBGA429; Breitling Chronomat 40 GMT
Flypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 11:09 PM   #23
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

I think the more apt comparison can be made between the BB36 and OP36. The five link bracelet (jubilee) offered by Tudor gives a visual pop the OP36 doesn't. On the other hand, do not think the $2k price difference is real factor when deciding which to purchase nor. resale at the entry level per se. It simply may come down to availability or preference.

As I have a blue DJ 41 Fluted/Jubilee and new Air King, I may pick up a BB39 Tudor (Anthracite or Silver with Jubilee and used of course). It would be my "IYKYK" piece.
Know1isgod is offline   Reply With Quote