The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 February 2024, 01:30 AM   #1
watchwanter
"TRF" Member

Can't I change the strap?!

Seen a watch I like - 2001 datejust 31 has a specific dial and numbers format that I like and in new condition. No papers, so not too concerned about resale value (it's very reasonably priced)

The thing is I don't like the clunky old style clasp. I'd want to change it either to a modern oyster bracelet with the gold stripe down the middle of the clasp.

Or a jubilee in the bracelet style.

The dealer just told me this is impossible, like not inadvisable, physically not possible.

Is this right? I always thought the straps could be changed!!
watchwanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 01:40 AM   #2
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

The problem is that the watch is only 31mm and very few bracelets exist for it. Unless you can find a bracelet from another 31 then it will be very hard.
Your most likely option would be a leather strap of some kind.
Old 21 February 2024, 01:42 AM   #3
watchwanter
"TRF" Member

theres a modern oyster one on chrono24 at the moment. it has the gold stripe through the clasp which just makes it look soooo much better. I also prefer the oyster. However would it look v weird on a 2001 watch?
Old 21 February 2024, 01:44 AM   #4
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

A gold stripe? Please post a link
Old 21 February 2024, 01:45 AM   #5
watchwanter
"TRF" Member

I can't! new member. I just mean the way that the oyster strap is now. On the buckle the gold continues through. In the past it was a great steel rectangle.
Old 21 February 2024, 02:30 AM   #6
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Do you mean a two-tone clasp from a two-tone bracelet? Like…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 February 2024, 02:43 AM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwanter View Post
I can't! new member. I just mean the way that the oyster strap is now. On the buckle the gold continues through. In the past it was a great steel rectangle.
Click the Go Advanced button and then Manage Attachments, and read the instructions about sizing photos. We don't discuss many ladies' watches on the forum, so you should probably try to do as much research as possible and post good photos and detailed information. Hopefully someone can help.
Old 21 February 2024, 11:24 PM   #8
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Early 16613 and the other short lived earlier (16808 i think), two tone Subs had a full steel clasp.

Later ones have a 'gold through' clasp they are interchangeable with RSC / dealers selling them all the time.

They might cost a daft amount eg £1000k plus though for clasp and three or more times that or more for full bracelet which I think has semi-gold through solid endlinks from memory.

Buy a later gold through model if they float your boat as only about £500-1000 more than an earlier steel clasp/tritium watch.

Apapro of practically nowt, but I personally prefer the earlier as dials change colours (purple/gold spec etc)and I like the slightly more restrained look, but my Son prefers the full gold through (the young punk!) .

Btw the gold-through clasp is no more or less chunky than a full steel one. - actually, scrub that, it's slightly more chunky as the gold is raised a bit.
And hope that we will never see the truth around
Uprising - MUSE
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2024, 12:44 AM   #9
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwanter View Post
You can attach a jpg image to your post even if it's your first post on TRF. Here's how:

Embedding attachments in Rolex Forums posts

Here are instructions for attaching a .jpg image to your post. It must be less than 293 kiloBytes in size, so if it's larger than that you'll have to resize it using one of the free online apps on the net like https://www.resize2mail.com/. Also, you must include some text in the post; a short sentence will do.

1. Click on "Post Reply" at the bottom of the last post in the thread.

2. In the "Additional Options" window, click on "Manage Attachments."

3. In the window that opens, click the top "Choose File" and then enter the file name of the .jpg file on your hard drive you want to embed in your post. Click "Upload." If your file is too large you will be told, and you'll have to reduce the file size below 293 kB.

4. Close that window, click "Preview Post" to preview your post, and if it looks OK click "Submit Reply."

Here's an example of an attached jpg image:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230218_092015.jpg (202.4 KB, 68 views)
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote