The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2022, 07:42 PM   #1
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Rolex Grindy When Winding?

Have a watch that seems to be grindy feeling when you pull the crown out to wind it. The time sets fine and the date does too. Runs perfectly too. Anyone know what this might be?

I searched the forum and some said something about overwinding and letting the watch wind down. Tried that and it didn’t work.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2022, 07:44 PM   #2
watchmaker
TechXpert

Assuming you have a basis for comparison to what a healthy winding action feels like and you are certain this one does not feel right, the grindy feeling is your signal its time for a service.

Most likely dry/dirt oils on one or more of the winding pinion, reversers and ratchet driving wheel.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2022, 07:51 PM   #3
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Assuming you have a basis for comparison to what a healthy winding action feels like and you are certain this one does not feel right, the grindy feeling is your signal its time for a service.

Most likely dry/dirt oils on one or more of the winding pinion, reversers and ratchet driving wheel.
Hmm, yeah planning on taking it in this week when I have some time. I guess it’s a little concerning It runs totally fine and only does the weird grinding thing when being wound.
Old 23 March 2022, 07:56 PM   #4
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Is it a newish watch?

If it's an old watch or was smooth and has gone gritty, see above. If it's a newer watch with a 32 series movement, the winding action feels comparatively stiff and gritty compared to the 31 series movements.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2022, 08:04 PM   #5
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Is it a newish watch?

If it's an old watch or was smooth and has gone gritty, see above. If it's a newer watch with a 32 series movement, the winding action feels comparatively stiff and gritty compared to the 31 series movements.
It’s a 116234 with the jubilee bracelet that has a hidden clasp.
Old 23 March 2022, 10:49 PM   #6
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
In my experience, all three of my Rolex watches have that 'gritty' feeling when winding if already fully wound.

If they haven’t been worn in a day two, I begin to wind and the winding function is buttery smooth. Once the watch is fully wound there is a noticeable clicking sound and then the winding function becomes gritty.
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2022, 11:03 PM   #7
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1982 View Post
In my experience, all three of my Rolex watches have that 'gritty' feeling when winding when already fully wound.

If they haven’t been worn in a day two, I begin to wind and the winding function is buttery smooth. Once the watch is fully wound there is a noticeable clicking sound and then the winding function becomes gritty.
I've noticed the same, which is why I clicked on this thread lol. Thanks for posting and letting me know I'm not going nuts.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2022, 11:22 PM   #8
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
There seems to be more resistance when I wind my 32XX movements versus my 31XX movements, and the 32XX movements click when the crown turns both directions, not just forward like on my 31XXs. Seems more clicky than grindy to me but clearly these terms are subjective.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2022, 11:45 PM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1982 View Post
In my experience, all three of my Rolex watches have that 'gritty' feeling when winding if already fully wound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I've noticed the same, which is why I clicked on this thread lol. Thanks for posting and letting me know I'm not going nuts.
Yep, I was a worry wart about this when I got my SD43

I do notice that in general the 32 series movements aren’t as smooth winding as the 31’s
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 12:20 AM   #10
htrap2294
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613LB
I made a thread about a year ago asking the same question. What I've noticed is if I let it run down and it's not fully wound, then it is butter smooth. When it is fully wound or close to being fully wound then it gets gritty.

If yours is being gritty when it's completely unwound, then it's likely a different issue and probably time for a service.
htrap2294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 12:21 AM   #11
srmatth82
"TRF" Member

This happened to my wife's Datejust. While winding it felt "gritty" I took it by the AD and one associate thought it felt fine. Another more experienced associate felt what I was felling so had their watchmaker opened it. He notice there was some grit of some sort inside and cleaned it up. Fixed the issue.
srmatth82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 01:20 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
. . .
I searched the forum and some said something about overwinding and letting the watch wind down. Tried that and it didn’t work.
What they mean is that as the mainspring gets tighter, it becomes more difficult to wind and has a different feel. After the mainspring is fully wound, it starts to slip inside the barrel and you can feel that too.
Old 24 March 2022, 02:04 AM   #13
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

OK, playing around with it more, it does seem like it gets worse the more wound it is.

I'm curious to see what the AD here in SLC says. I'll let you guys know.

I've owned a lot of watches and never had anything feel like this before. Have had a Submariner and Milgauss before, neither felt like this, but seems like this is limited to the movement in this watch.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 24 March 2022, 04:12 AM   #14
cryptowalkway
Banned

My 2018 sub does the same and has done for a while on and off. Not in need of a service yet though. Doesn’t concern me to be honest. It might go away and come back again at some point
cryptowalkway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 07:24 AM   #15
Ron P
"TRF" Member

Probably the 2 famous red wheels in the autowinding module needing a clean and lubrication or if worn a replacement.
Ron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 07:40 AM   #16
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptowalkway View Post
My 2018 sub does the same and has done for a while on and off. Not in need of a service yet though. Doesn’t concern me to be honest. It might go away and come back again at some point
Does it get grindier/louder the more you wind?
Old 24 March 2022, 07:38 PM   #17
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
What they mean is that as the mainspring gets tighter, it becomes more difficult to wind and has a different feel. After the mainspring is fully wound, it starts to slip inside the barrel and you can feel that too.
spot on
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 09:09 PM   #18
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
See post 2.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 09:17 PM   #19
clearlight
"TRF" Member

New reverse gears, mainspring and service fixed the ‘grindy’ feeling in my example.
clearlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2022, 04:21 AM   #20
Thomas Mudge
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Nomos
No Rolex is produced with rough winding from the factory.
I think it needs a watchmaker to look at it.
Thomas Mudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 08:48 AM   #21
WhitePatriot77
"TRF" Member

This is a malfunction of the automatic winding mech and cleaning epilame and proper oil .That's it and problem goes away now overwinding may contribute to friction not allowing the gears to let go . That gritty feeling is the auto wind gears you feel when working correctly when you manual wind they are supposed to disengage. As it gets fully wound all you shoukd feel is tension growing and maybe the slippage which even when it slips its fully wound and you shoukdnt feel those gears. Now Several Rolex with this issue are 'super clones' which people get as gifts or buy from jewelers that were fooled( they are making quite the fakes now days. This happens soo much any hidollar watch that comes in I inspect in front of the owner before I accept it for work.
WhitePatriot77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 09:08 AM   #22
Catatafish
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub 126610LV
I've got two recent subs, same movement, same model year. Both are smooth until fully wound. One will get gritty after fully wound, one won't ever get gritty. The one that gets gritty came from an AD new. The one that never gets gritty came from a respected reseller and has been authenticated by both local ADs.
Catatafish is offline   Reply With Quote