The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 May 2024, 12:56 AM   #1
DDPS
"TRF" Member

Rolex communication logotype typefaces vs. watch faces

I have spent a lot of time delving into Rolex typography, and it seems there is a dearth of information about the fact that the official Rolex logotype (not the crown) used in communication materials over the decades has historically not matched what is on the watch faces themselves.

The logotype on Rolex corporate materials is consistently different from the type treatment used on watch faces themselves. This is as true today as it has ever been. For instance, the current Rolex corporate logotype has a curve in the "leg" of the "R," but that curve does not exist in any form on watch faces.

In prior eras, there was a curlicue at the bottom of the R, which also was never seen on watch faces (https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...20Rolex%20.jpg)

In all eras, there is a marked difference between the logotype used on corporate materials and that which presents itself on watch faces.

It's entirely likely that the logotype on watch faces is optimized for stamping/pad printing/screen printing as technologies have evolved. But in most cases, marketers would have preferred one consistent logotype for marketing purposes across all usage for a given era, so I would expect the corporate materials to take a cue from the watch faces if that is the case.

Does anybody — anybody — know the answer here?

For a hobby filled with detail, there seems to be a curious lack of detail surrounding the various Rolex communication logotypes and how they have differed from the watch faces themselves.

Thanks for any guidance anyone can provide!

Last edited by DDPS; 21 May 2024 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: typo
DDPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 04:18 AM   #2
DDPS
"TRF" Member

Or if there is another forum that I should be posting to, please let me know. I sometimes sense that this site isn't the right place for Rolex history and arcana. Thanks.
Old 21 May 2024, 08:51 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I can't see how there would be any relationship between correspondence and dial font.

Likely there are dozens of desks and letter/correspondence staff who may be free to choose type-font and have no knowledge at all of dial fonts.

It may be true that once upon a time Rolex did mandate a particular type-face for staff, but, again, why would there be a relationship to dials? In fact, dial font has been serif, non-serif and other font over the years.

An article of these unique differences or even studies could be interesting as a stand-alone study of interest; still, I couldn't see why there would be a direct relationship.
Old 21 May 2024, 09:32 AM   #4
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Also remember that Rolex (like most makers) used to have the dials designed by hand, whereas now they seem to use computers which cause a lot of mistakes because they no longer seem to give a damn about the results.

Case in point, the many GMTs that were printed "GMT- MASTER II".

Or how almost every Tudor since 2016 has had a misprinted dial (yes, to add insult to injury they not only made the mistake the first time but they keep using it on new watches) except the Pelagos (because they had a different text for that one, due to writing the name Pelagos, and whoever did it was more competent) and the GMT (probably by accident.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 09:52 AM   #5
RotorSelfWinding
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDPS View Post
I have spent a lot of time delving into Rolex typography, and it seems there is a dearth of information about the fact that the official Rolex logotype (not the crown) used in communication materials over the decades has historically not matched what is on the watch faces themselves.

The logotype on Rolex corporate materials is consistently different from the type treatment used on watch faces themselves. This is as true today as it has ever been. For instance, the current Rolex corporate logotype has a curve in the "leg" of the "R," but that curve does not exist in any form on watch faces.

In prior eras, there was a curlicue at the bottom of the R, which also was never seen on watch faces (https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...20Rolex%20.jpg)

In all eras, there is a marked difference between the logotype used on corporate materials and that which presents itself on watch faces.

It's entirely likely that the logotype on watch faces is optimized for stamping/pad printing/screen printing as technologies have evolved. But in most cases, marketers would have preferred one consistent logotype for marketing purposes across all usage for a given era, so I would expect the corporate materials to take a cue from the watch faces if that is the case.

Does anybody — anybody — know the answer here?

For a hobby filled with detail, there seems to be a curious lack of detail surrounding the various Rolex communication logotypes and how they have differed from the watch faces themselves.

Thanks for any guidance anyone can provide!
Typeface is kind of funky in that way. My guess is they studied the smaller typeface and didn't prefer the way it looked on stationery, billboards, or magazines.
RotorSelfWinding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 09:58 AM   #6
DDPS
"TRF" Member

Thank you for these responses… What I am hoping for is informed information (rather than guesses) about the deliberate decision Rolex made to have these designs be separate. It is almost uniform in branding that there is consistency between logotypes in communications, and logotypes in product.
Old 21 May 2024, 10:17 AM   #7
RotorSelfWinding
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDPS View Post
Thank you for these responses… What I am hoping for is informed information (rather than guesses) about the deliberate decision Rolex made to have these designs be separate. It is almost uniform in branding that there is consistency between logotypes in communications, and logotypes in product.
If you're looking for informed answers, you probably shouldn't be looking on an enthusiast forum for the most secretive brand in fashion.

The closest any of us can do is speculate. In all likelihood, when then went to a computerized typeface, they realized it doesn't look right in big letters.
RotorSelfWinding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 11:57 AM   #8
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
FWiW: Mercedes Benz (Daimler):

https://designnavigator.daimler.com/...ributing-fonts
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote