The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 October 2009, 05:18 PM   #1
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
Keeping up with the TRFers...

Watches can be an expensive hobby especially when it comes to Rolexes. I wonder if anyone here feels like they need to keep up with the other members on here?

It's like when you read about so and so getting a new Rolex, do you feel like you want to go out and get one as well?

I will admit when I read about about someone getting a SS white dial Daytona or a SS GMT-C, I want to go get one as well. Surprisingly I have managed to restrain myself.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 08:23 PM   #2
limbo
"TRF" Member

I often admire the watches of the other TRFers, but do not feel the urge or need to keep up with anyone.

I will buy a watch if I like it, as long as I have the spare funds. No intention of buying a watch on credit.
limbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 08:49 PM   #3
deserted
Banned

Watch: Patek 1909003
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo View Post
I often admire the watches of the other TRFers, but do not feel the urge or need to keep up with anyone.

I will buy a watch if I like it, as long as I have the spare funds. No intention of buying a watch on credit.
x2
deserted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 08:51 PM   #4
idk01
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ16233TT
Thats is one thing I absolutely love about TRF, it doesn't matter if you have one or one hundred, every one has a model that suits them and says something about them.

One thing I do find here is I'm constantly resetting my goals, at one stage I would have loved a GMT IIc, but I'm now hinging toward an EXP II :-), I think TRF is better than walking into an AD and physically seeing and feeling the watch, I prefer to see photos and listen to what my friends here have to say about their purchase, and I can't help but congratulate each and every purchase I hear about, reading through someones first Rolex purchase always brings back memories and that flutter in the stomach and feeling I had when I purchased my first Rolex.

TRF is just a fantastic place, great people, and I love to hear about new purchases, even if its your five hundredth :-) just another facet to the adventure of life :-)

I'm looking at getting a white dial EXP II by the end of the year, and thats thanks to many members showing off theirs, better than advertising, with real life comments, can't beat that!!!

idk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 08:54 PM   #5
Lol-x
Facilitator

I judge each watch on its merits as I see it.
If it ticks the boxes, and I can afford it, I might get it.
If it don't, I am at least happy for the person who does get the pleasure of acquiring the new watch for themself.

A lot of the enjoyment I get is from seeing the great pleasure others get from acquiring a timepiece that they really are so happy to obtain, share and enjoy.

Sometimes I think I get even greater pleasure from the purchase by others of amazing watches than the pleasure I get from acquiring a watch myself.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 09:42 PM   #6
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
I got the one I wanted.

There are several others I wouldn't mind owning, but do not feel compelled to do so.

My wife, on the other hand...
Old 7 October 2009, 10:03 PM   #7
Deep Sea
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Rolex or two
Seeing other watches here, reading the stories and opinions, sometimes leaves me wanting a little more than if I had not visited here. However, I have never felt the urge to buy simply because others are buying. Granted I have jumped on a few good deals that are watches I am not sure I will keep, but I get to enjoy them (or try them out, if you will) for a period of time, and move them along if they don't float my boat.

An example is the white dial Exp II I bought this summer. The price was a screaming deal, so I figured I could get the watch, have it serviced, and still have less than $3K in the whole deal. I figured for that amount, I could easily move it along and not be out any $$, or if I decided to keep it, I had a great watch for little cost. Looking at others Exp II's, I thougth it would be a permenant part of the collection; but, it just doesn't do it for me, so it will be moving along to a new home in December.
Deep Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 10:24 PM   #8
AWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Sure, I would love to have one of each, But, no I do not feel that i have to keep up with anyone. I am happy to see others enjoy their watches. TRF is a great place, great folks, interesting stories, comradeship. It is nice to share in the joy of others. It is sometimes like reading consumer reports, to see what we might like to add to our collections. Gives us something to work for, while enjoying the communications with our friends...

AWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 10:44 PM   #9
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Nahh, there are lots of watches I would like...... and that I'm not likely to ever be in the money for, but still feel at home here.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 11:15 PM   #10
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
I don't feel any need to "keep up" with other members on TRF. And I've thoroughly enjoyed when others have found their grail [looking at you Karis], or have found the joys of another reference, or dare I say, realised the value and addiction of Tudors [too many to mention].
My Oyster collection is big by some standards, small by other, alright by me.
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 11:18 PM   #11
sexner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 169622, 124060
I wonder if anyone here feels like they need to keep up with the other members on here?

The real short answer for me is "nope".

Old 7 October 2009, 11:21 PM   #12
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Try keeping up with Mike! That would be an exercise in futility!!
Old 7 October 2009, 11:22 PM   #13
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
Try keeping up with Mike! That would be an exercise in futility!!
You got that right!!!!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 8 October 2009, 02:45 AM   #14
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
I don't feel any need to "keep up" with other members on TRF. And I've thoroughly enjoyed when others have found their grail [looking at you Karis], or have found the joys of another reference, or dare I say, realised the value and addiction of Tudors [too many to mention].
My Oyster collection is big by some standards, small by other, alright by me.
Awww, thanks Dan!

You said it well. I personally never imagined I'd own 3 Rolexes, and I feel VERY fortunate to have the ones I do. For me, it's a hobby that I LOVE!!! I admit that there have been times I've compared myself to other members and their 'stuff', but in the end, what's most important really aren't the watches, but the COMRADERIE here on TRF!!!! We're all lucky to be part of this fine community!
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2009, 02:58 AM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
I think I would rather keep up with the Kardashians!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2009, 03:16 AM   #16
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexner View Post
I wonder if anyone here feels like they need to keep up with the other members on here?

The real short answer for me is "nope".

Same here..............."nope"

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2009, 03:43 AM   #17
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

Nope.
Never felt like I have to have something in order to fit in, or look cool, and I have never been slave to a brand either.
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2009, 04:15 AM   #18
looking to buy
"TRF" Member

No one here expects or judges others on how many watches they have. I have never had a sense of that. Those with one watch have just as much acceptance as those with 20 watches. In fact, it is even better than that. Those with no watches have total acceptance. I like the fact that all the members have this great knowledge and it helps me decide what I want to do.

Having said that I will confess that I bought my second Rolex, my GMT IIc only because of the praises being sung here. If I was not a member of the forum, I never would have bought it. But, I am really glad I did.
Old 8 October 2009, 04:36 AM   #19
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking to buy View Post
No one here expects or judges others on how many watches they have. I have never had a sense of that. Those with one watch have just as much acceptance as those with 20 watches. In fact, it is even better than that. Those with no watches have total acceptance. I like the fact that all the members have this great knowledge and it helps me decide what I want to do.

Having said that I will confess that I bought my second Rolex, my GMT IIc only because of the praises being sung here. If I was not a member of the forum, I never would have bought it. But, I am really glad I did.
Bob, no question TRF adds to our addiciton.
I've also purchased because I found a watch on TRF I had to have but not because someone else had it.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 8 October 2009, 05:53 AM   #20
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
After seeing others buying 1655, 5008, 5013, 5012, 1016, 6239, 6238, 116520, 16610, 16613, 116710/3/8 etc etc over and over again, I'm desensitised
I'm very happy with my 14060m, 16710 and 1630.
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2009, 06:53 AM   #21
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
No, I've never felt the need to keep up with others here at TRF.

It's not that I am immune to being jealous......I'm just a one Rolex at a time guy. I have one on my wrist every day of the week. Never have others waiting for wrist time.

Except when jogging, it's my beater, my work watch, my dress watch.

Currently, I wear a black face Tudor Sub model 75090. Wearing it on NATO straps at present.

When the bug hits me to get another model, type....I'll research the watch and then make a trade, etc.
Old 8 October 2009, 07:08 AM   #22
rsg
"TRF" Member

Never jealous, always inspired. The pictures that are posted by the members here help me to decide the next item for my grail list.
I just ordered a grail based on some recent pics that were posted.......
rsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2009, 07:09 AM   #23
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
TRF does pique my interest in acquiring more Rolex watches, but really, I'm able to resist. I'd like to get more, sure, but I have two now and that's more than I thought I'd ever have. Maybe some vintage stuff would be nice, and may one or two more of the newer models, but I'm in no hurry. I'm just enjoying the Sub and the GMT.

This is a great site, and I enjoy just hanging out here and interacting and looking at the great pics of other people's watches. I have to admit, though, to being in awe of some of the collections here. I have enough trouble deciding what to wear between the 6-7 watches I own now!

JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2009, 07:10 AM   #24
Yume-sama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Plat. Masterpiece
I lust over other peoples watches. A YG GMT... a WG Sub... but for the most part I'm more than happy with what I have.
Yume-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2009, 08:54 AM   #25
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
not for me.

I enjoy reading stories and seeing pix of members new watch(es).
I get the ones I like if the timing is right. Otherwise it is all browsing on TRF.
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2009, 11:39 AM   #26
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by idk01 View Post
Thats is one thing I absolutely love about TRF, it doesn't matter if you have one or one hundred, every one has a model that suits them and says something about them.

One thing I do find here is I'm constantly resetting my goals, at one stage I would have loved a GMT IIc, but I'm now hinging toward an EXP II :-), I think TRF is better than walking into an AD and physically seeing and feeling the watch, I prefer to see photos and listen to what my friends here have to say about their purchase, and I can't help but congratulate each and every purchase I hear about, reading through someones first Rolex purchase always brings back memories and that flutter in the stomach and feeling I had when I purchased my first Rolex.

TRF is just a fantastic place, great people, and I love to hear about new purchases, even if its your five hundredth :-) just another facet to the adventure of life :-)

I'm looking at getting a white dial EXP II by the end of the year, and thats thanks to many members showing off theirs, better than advertising, with real life comments, can't beat that!!!

X2!!! Could not have been said any better Dave...!
Rob.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2009, 11:24 AM   #27
azone5
"TRF" Member

I get a kick out of seeing the pleasure others get with their purchases, but it doesn't increase my desire for a new watch. When my GMT Master II was in for service and I was without it for six weeks, that REALLY bothered me and I almost bought one at that time.
azone5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2009, 01:53 PM   #28
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Great question. I don't feel the need to "keep up" with everyone. I have what I have and could have more, but restrain myself.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 01:07 PM   #29
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserted View Post
x2
X3
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote