The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 December 2009, 09:55 AM   #1
InVision
Banned

Watch: Outerspace DayDate
Time Setting on the GMT-IIc

Ok, so I read the threads on the forum about setting the GMT-II. I understand how set the darn thing, but what I don't understand is why you set the green arrow time to your time zone. I set it to GMT so I can rotate the bezel to see another time zone by simply adding or subtracting the appropriate hours for that particular world time zone. Gees I guess I am un-train-able.

Also what is this crap about being able to get your bearing? And I quote:

" With the hands set to show solar time, and the hour hand pointing toward the sun, north and south are represented by the line bisecting the angle formed by the hour hand and the 12-6 o'clock axis on the dial. In the northern hemisphere, north is towards the wearer and, in the southern hemisphere, south."

GOOD GRIEF, GIVE ME A TIMEX !!!

Mike
InVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2009, 09:58 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by InVision View Post
Ok, so I read the threads on the forum about setting the GMT-II. I understand how set the darn thing, but what I don't understand is why you set the green arrow time to your time zone. I set it to GMT so I can rotate the bezel to see another time zone by simply adding or subtracting the appropriate hours for that particular world time zone. Gees I guess I am un-train-able.

Also what is this crap about being able to get your bearing? And I quote:

" With the hands set to show solar time, and the hour hand pointing toward the sun, north and south are represented by the line bisecting the angle formed by the hour hand and the 12-6 o'clock axis on the dial. In the northern hemisphere, north is towards the wearer and, in the southern hemisphere, south."

GOOD GRIEF, GIVE ME A TIMEX !!!

Mike
Agreed, that's why I ripped off the GREEN hand on my GMT-IIC!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, Pam320
I have the exact same problem. My Pam 244 allows me to change the GMT hand independent from the hour. Why can't I do the same on the Rolex???

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin
Prick #8
Pep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2009, 10:05 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Well, Mike...

You can set it to GMT time if you want to, and you have a need to see GMT Time all the time, but the watch was developed so you could always have a reference to your home time.. GMT is just the name of the watch, not the name of the hand or what time you should set it to..

As for rotating the bezel from GMT time to see the zone you are in, if you already know that then you don't really need to turn the bezel....

Now, the direction thing on a GMT watch........... both the Mercedes hand and the 24 hr hand must be on the same local area time (local solar time). When you point the hour hand at the sun, the 24 hr hand points north.... If you do not have the 24 hr hand set to local time, it doesn't work.

The piece you quoted is an old boy scout training aid and works with any watch.
Old 22 December 2009, 10:25 AM   #5
InVision
Banned

Watch: Outerspace DayDate
Gee thanks, I set my watch properly and hopefully won't get lost....

Mike
InVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2009, 10:25 AM   #6
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Well, Mike...

You can set it to GMT time if you want to, and you have a need to see GMT Time all the time, but the watch was developed so you could always have a reference to your home time.. GMT is just the name of the watch, not the name of the hand or what time you should set it to..

As for rotating the bezel from GMT time to see the zone you are in, if you already know that then you don't really need to turn the bezel....

Now, the direction thing on a GMT watch........... both the Mercedes hand and the 24 hr hand must be on the same local area time (local solar time). When you point the hour hand at the sun, the 24 hr hand points north.... If you do not have the 24 hr hand set to local time, it doesn't work.

The piece you quoted is an old boy scout training aid and works with any watch.

I'm a little lost. My GMT hand is at 16:00 but the Mercedes hand is at 7pm.

Obviously, something is not lining up.

Prick #8
Old 22 December 2009, 10:42 AM   #7
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep04 View Post
I'm a little lost. My GMT hand is at 16:00 but the Mercedes hand is at 7pm.

Obviously, something is not lining up.
......... Not really sure what you are saying.. At 7:pm, the 24 hr time is 1900 and so if you wanted them both to be on local time, you would need to re-set the 24 hr hand properly (to 1900 hrs) , then jump the Mercedes hand back...

(you always set the 24 hr hand and minutes first, then the date, then the Mercedes hour hand last.)

But if you have it (the 24 hr hand) set to some other time-zone, it will not correlate to the hour hand.
Old 22 December 2009, 10:44 AM   #8
Pep04
"TRF" Member

I like my GMT hand 6 hours ahead so I know the eastern Europe time. Don't know how to do that.

Prick #8
Old 22 December 2009, 11:54 AM   #9
Esquire
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II Ceramic
I always thought the Green hand was for GMT time and the "regular" hands were for your home time.

Why set the GMT hand to your home time zone? Then the 24-hour bezel loses some of its functionality: the bezel no longer provides a references for true GMT reference. Instead you have to determine the timezone you visit in relation to your home timezone, rather than just determining the GMT reference.

I have my GMT hand set to GMT time, and rotate the bezel appropriately for the time zone I visit. When I went to Vegas, it was GMT -8, and I rotated the bezel appropriately. All I had to do was reference the GMT hand against the bezel and I knew the time, all while keeping tabs on my home time.

I'm almost certain that's the way the watch is supposed to be set.
Old 22 December 2009, 12:00 PM   #10
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep04 View Post
I like my GMT hand 6 hours ahead so I know the eastern Europe time. Don't know how to do that.
First you need to do the math..

If it is 6 hours ahead of your local time right now........ set the 24 hr hand to 6 hours ahead; then just jump the Mercedes hand backwards to your local time..

You don't want to set the Mercedes hand ahead.......... Here is why.. Using your example of 7 pm; the time you want your 24 hr hand at is 7 pm +6 hrs, or, 0100 hrs tomorrow. If you set the 24 hr hand and then went forward with jumping the hour hand, it would change dates at the wrong time - assuming of course that you started with the hands synchronized......

However, in your case, I would still keep the hands on local time and just rotate the bezel 6 hours ahead. Otherwise, everything you did with the bezel would have to be based on Eastern European Time.
Old 22 December 2009, 12:01 PM   #11
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
[QUOTE]I'm almost certain that's the way the watch is supposed to be set./QUOTE]

There's more than one correct way to set the GMT II as Larry describes in his first reply.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2009, 12:12 PM   #12
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquire View Post
I always thought the Green hand was for GMT time and the "regular" hands were for your home time.

Why set the GMT hand to your home time zone? Then the 24-hour bezel loses some of its functionality: the bezel no longer provides a references for true GMT reference. Instead you have to determine the timezone you visit in relation to your home timezone, rather than just determining the GMT reference.

I have my GMT hand set to GMT time, and rotate the bezel appropriately for the time zone I visit. When I went to Vegas, it was GMT -8, and I rotated the bezel appropriately. All I had to do was reference the GMT hand against the bezel and I knew the time, all while keeping tabs on my home time.

I'm almost certain that's the way the watch is supposed to be set.
Nope...you're wrong, sorry..... The watch has always been designed for one purpose..to keep pilots oriented to their home time to prevent Jet Lag.. In the beginning, both hands were synced to the same time - local.... You could only rotate the bezel for the second time zone, and you did that when you went through each one.......... Then you read your home off the dial, as always, and the new one off the bezel... You can still use the wath this way.

The GMT II introduced the jump feature just a few years ago, and made it much more versatile, giving you a positive jump to the new time zone, but keeping a home reference with the 24 hr hand......

As Dan said, you can use it any way you want.. However, I am giving you the watch history and it's intent...
Old 22 December 2009, 12:15 PM   #13
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

My green hand is set to military time. My mercedes hand is set to local time. However, if I travel to another time zone, I'll set the green hand to my USA residence local hour and the mercedes to the new time zone hour. I just love this watch!

Lee
ingoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2009, 12:18 PM   #14
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Tools,

You are the man. THANKS so much!!!! I figured it out with your help!!!!
:cla p::worsh ip:

Prick #8
Old 22 December 2009, 01:22 PM   #15
Esquire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nope...you're wrong, sorry..... The watch has always been designed for one purpose..to keep pilots oriented to their home time to prevent Jet Lag.. In the beginning, both hands were synced to the same time - local.... You could only rotate the bezel for the second time zone, and you did that when you went through each one.......... Then you read your home off the dial, as always, and the new one off the bezel... You can still use the wath this way.

The GMT II introduced the jump feature just a few years ago, and made it much more versatile, giving you a positive jump to the new time zone, but keeping a home reference with the 24 hr hand......

As Dan said, you can use it any way you want.. However, I am giving you the watch history and it's intent...
It just seems like there's much more math and keeping track involved with that method. With the method I described, you only do one thing: move the bezel. With your method, you move the bezel and adjust the mercedes hands.
Old 22 December 2009, 01:34 PM   #16
therolexguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

That is correct sir.

Quote:

Yes, the origianl GMTs only had a bezel that moved since the 24 hr. hand was always synced to your home time. Now, with the newer 24 hr. hand, you can actually see three time zones.
therolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2009, 01:52 PM   #17
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquire View Post
It just seems like there's much more math and keeping track involved with that method. With the method I described, you only do one thing: move the bezel. With your method, you move the bezel and adjust the mercedes hands.
You can use it any way you want... But, with your method...you kept home time on the adjustable hand....... Kind of defeats the purpose of that handly little gadget... and the minute that you do move it, you have lost all reference to your home time... The watch is just not intended to keep you oriented to GMT time... there's no point to it unless you live there.

But if you want GMT time, and you have the 24 hr hand set to your home time, and you know that your home time is -3... you can turn the bezel to -3 at any time and have an instant GMT reference... always..

If I had been travelling to Vegas with you, I would have jumped the hour hand that -8 hrs and Vegas time would be on the dial just like any other watch, home time on the 24 hr for reference, and if I wanted GMT....as said, it is always going to be -3 hrs on the bezel (just rotate it)...always... no matter where you're at..
Old 22 December 2009, 02:01 PM   #18
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

Wow, this is beginning to sound like you need a doctorate just to set the thing!
Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2009, 03:57 PM   #19
Esquire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You can use it any way you want... But, with your method...you kept home time on the adjustable hand....... Kind of defeats the purpose of that handly little gadget... and the minute that you do move it, you have lost all reference to your home time... The watch is just not intended to keep you oriented to GMT time... there's no point to it unless you live there.

But if you want GMT time, and you have the 24 hr hand set to your home time, and you know that your home time is -3... you can turn the bezel to -3 at any time and have an instant GMT reference... always..

If I had been travelling to Vegas with you, I would have jumped the hour hand that -8 hrs and Vegas time would be on the dial just like any other watch, home time on the 24 hr for reference, and if I wanted GMT....as said, it is always going to be -3 hrs on the bezel (just rotate it)...always... no matter where you're at..
I see what you're saying, but I guess I like staying oriented to my hometime when traveling for a shorter time period. Had I been out there fore a month, I would have set it like you said, but for a few days, I just prefer my method. It lets me easily set the time via the 24-hour bezel in reference to the GMT hand, rather than playing with the Mercedes hands.

And btw, I do have a doctorate, and I clearly don't work it correctly!