The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 December 2006, 10:30 PM   #1
bolmida

Clean and service rolex

Im thinking about servicing my own Rolex. Anyone here take theirs apart, clean, and reassemble? Is the it DIY on the web?

What about this guy
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-watch-clea...QQcmdZViewItem

anyone use him?

peter
bolmida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2006, 10:51 PM   #2
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Hmm, I hope your watch does not need parts, I doubt you will get them for that price. Maybe I would send him a Bulova since that is where he went, but he is not a Rolex dude.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2006, 10:57 PM   #3
bolmida

I have had my Rolexes serviced by a local Guy, costs me about 250-300 for general service including gaskets. Seems to last about 5 years or so.
bolmida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2006, 11:22 PM   #4
finance21
2024 Pledge Member

Personally, I would stay away from a service as such being offered on eBay. You may save 200 bucks but you may also end up with a huge headache IMHO.
finance21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2006, 12:14 AM   #5
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
This sounds like taking a Ferrari to the local garage for servicing.....
Flyjet601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2006, 12:17 AM   #6
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyjet601 View Post
Are you still in Sanya? Hows the weather?
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2006, 12:20 AM   #7
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo View Post
Are you still in Sanya? Hows the weather?

No I just got back tonite, about 2 hrs ago....it was cool and windy on the beach. Water was cold...brrrrrr

I will send you some pix when I download them.
Flyjet601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2006, 01:45 AM   #8
Blue Bull
Banned

Service the Rolex every 5 years,obviously at Rolex,looking at $500 ....Hmmmm,how about buying a new Rolex every 5 years and conttibuting that $500 to the purchase price of the new one ....?
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2006, 01:52 AM   #9
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bull View Post
Service the Rolex every 5 years,obviously at Rolex,looking at $500 ....Hmmmm,how about buying a new Rolex every 5 years and conttibuting that $500 to the purchase price of the new one ....?
Not sure about the every 5 year rule, but the logic should be how much it would cost you if something breaks inside that sucker.

Imagine you let it go for 20 years, and something breaks. Might cost you more than 2g to fix that watch.

As for a new rolex fund, at the rate they are increasing every year, that 500 can barely cover the inflation.
Old 28 December 2006, 02:07 AM   #10
dssxxxx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As for a new rolex fund, at the rate they are increasing every year, that 500 can barely cover the inflation.
dssxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2006, 02:21 AM   #11
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Not sure about the every 5 year rule, but the logic should be how much it would cost you if something breaks inside that sucker.

Imagine you let it go for 20 years, and something breaks. Might cost you more than 2g to fix that watch.

May work for the cheaper models and only if you want to sell it, off course ...Mine was close to 6 years old, decided to weigh cost of servicing vs trade in + new watch....The latter won.
Old 28 December 2006, 02:49 AM   #12
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bull View Post
May work for the cheaper models and only if you want to sell it, off course ...Mine was close to 6 years old, decided to weigh cost of servicing vs trade in + new watch....The latter won.
I guess to each their own, I am the type that would rather keep an old watch in my dresser than to sell it. Something about spending years with it makes me reluctant to sell it, I'd rather give it to my kids when they grow up.

Buying a new rolex every few years isn't that bad, say you are buying a 6000 dollar rolex every 3 years, its only 2k a year, less 166 bucks a month, 5.50 a day. If you can put aside 20 bucks a day, you can afford a gold Daytona in a few years.
Old 28 December 2006, 12:59 PM   #13
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
I guess to each their own, I am the type that would rather keep an old watch in my dresser than to sell it. Something about spending years with it makes me reluctant to sell it, I'd rather give it to my kids when they grow up.

Buying a new rolex every few years isn't that bad, say you are buying a 6000 dollar rolex every 3 years, its only 2k a year, less 166 bucks a month, 5.50 a day. If you can put aside 20 bucks a day, you can afford a gold Daytona in a few years.

I considered the trade in I was offered,the cost of servicing,which I felt was needed after 5-6 years and realized I was losing very close to nothing on my GMT IIs original purchase price .. Our tade ins here are better compared to the States.I got a good deal on the new Blue TT Sub,too.So I went for the deal ...Its not about spending money,its about not losing money ...

I agree,that if you lose to much on your original purchase price,keep it for the next generations ...
Old 28 December 2006, 01:20 PM   #14
ROLEX4EvEr
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Back
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyjet601 View Post

ROLEX4EvEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2006, 03:27 PM   #15
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
would alternating between your watches cause the service interval to extend?

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2006, 04:18 PM   #16
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonelar View Post
Good question, pal. Yes, I think it would. With at least two watches in your collection being worn on a regular turn-around basis, the wear and tear on each of them would be considerably reduced.....literally halved if worn on a regular 50-50 timetable!!

In such a case, I think one can safely go 7~8 years before the first service.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2006, 06:40 PM   #17
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
I had to have my SD serviced frequently because for a number of years it was my only watch... but now that I have 6 other watches including the TT Blu Sub... and I have a Seiko sitting in my locker at the j-o-b...

Here's another question. If you knew you were putting your watch away for a couple months, would you bother with using a winder or would the watch "keep" better if allowed to run down?

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2006, 09:11 PM   #18
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
I had to have my SD serviced frequently because for a number of years it was my only watch... but now that I have 6 other watches including the TT Blu Sub... and I have a Seiko sitting in my locker at the j-o-b...

Here's another question. If you knew you were putting your watch away for a couple months, would you bother with using a winder or would the watch "keep" better if allowed to run down?
Two months in isolation and a stopped movement wouldn't make an iota of a difference to the performance of the watch once re-activated.

Some watches sit stationary in AD's display windows for months on end - nothing happens.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2006, 11:42 PM   #19
dssxxxx
"TRF" Member

When I bought my Presidential in 2001, I wanted to trade by TT DJ bought aroulnd 1980-1982. I bought the watch NIB out of NY for around $1800.00. This watch was worn every day for approximately 20 years. It was serviced by Rolex twice in that time and I was offered $1500.00 trade after getting 25% discount on the Presidential. I decided that it was my first (but not my last) Rolex and had more than $1500.00 worth of sentimental value.
dssxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2006, 01:02 AM   #20
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
Hmm, I hope your watch does not need parts, I doubt you will get them for that price. Maybe I would send him a Bulova since that is where he went, but he is not a Rolex dude.
I agree that if the watch needs parts it might be a problem. However any decent watchmaker can service a Rolex. There's nothing special about them in that regard - in fact Rolex watches are relatively simple in their construction compared to many brands.

Now sending it to a watchmaker that auctions their services on the Bay, well not so sure about that......
Old 29 December 2006, 01:13 AM   #21
Atomic

Quote:

Actually NO it wouldnt extend the interval between servicing and heres why...

If a watch sits, the oild break down, dry out and generally will gum up the works, requiring a good cleaning. If a watch sits on a winder or is in regular use, the oils break down as a part of losing their viscosity, much the way the oil in your car engine breaks down with age.

So really, it doesnt matter if you interchange watches and let one sit for periods of time or use them all regularly. Bottom line is they will need service on regular intervals. Personally I think the five year rule is over-protective. I would think seven-10 years would suffice between regular servicing, but I know of a couple of friends who have put decades between servicing and got out of a service with nothing more than a cleaning, relube, replaced crystal, tube and seals.