The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 31 December 2006, 11:42 AM   #1
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Icon19 So I test drove a Maserati Coupe today... and I am unimpressed.

Since my car got stolen, I have been shopping for a new car on and off. I pretty much have my heart set on the new lexus LS460, with the exception that I want something that give me more feedback as I drive. I feel too isolated from the outside when I was trying the lexus thus I got a feeling that it might not be safest for me to drive that thing around, might fall asleep when I am driving tired.

Long story short, its been a few weeks and I have visited various dealers. The S550 feels like a boat, the 750li was good but still not as nice as the LS460. I was about out of ideas until I stopped by a Maserati dealer today. I saw the 4 door Quattroporte, which was just horrible, it shifts too rough even in auto mode and words cannot begin to describe how bad it sucks as a luxury car.

The sales guy seems to agree, but since I walked in asking for a 4 door sedan, thats what he had to offer. He then asked me if I wanted to try their coupe. We drove the car around a bit, I tried the 6 speed automatic since its going to be my wife's car as well. its doesn't have much bells and whistles. Its decently fast but not insane, the engine makes a nice roar, ride is decently comfortable for a sports car. But thats about it. The marserati seems to attract more outside attention than mine, I was however fascinated with that clock inside the mid console, too bad the sales guy know nothing about it, simply told me that I can get the gold version if I want as an option.

For 95k, I would probably buy something else, I might however get the car if I were still single. seems to turn everyone's head driving around one of those.

Anyone knows anything about those clock inside the maseratis?
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2006, 02:17 PM   #2
Rodentman
Banned

I'm so poor I'm not permitted to even look at Maseratis.
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2006, 02:24 PM   #3
LSeca

I drove a Maserati a year ago and it was really rough shifting as well, it would hesitate then slam into gear. The sales advisor said something about a hydralic clutch and that it wasn't a true automatic or something along those lines. I think the car def leans more towards performance rather than luxury.

That being said, def try to drive the 750iL again. I leased a 745iL (prev. model with less power) for 2 years. This car has a alot personality....hmmm, kinda like a Daytona. Sporty and classy with alot of luxury as well. The Lexus is nice, with some cool technology, but the 7 is def the drivers car out of the two.
LSeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2006, 02:52 PM   #4
SeaGoer

Watch: TT YM, TT GMT IIC
[QUOTE=montecristo;155046]......................................
For 95k, I would probably buy something else,............... [QUOTE]

for a few $ more; Aston Martin DB9
SeaGoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2006, 03:26 PM   #5
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSeca View Post
I drove a Maserati a year ago and it was really rough shifting as well, it would hesitate then slam into gear. The sales advisor said something about a hydralic clutch and that it wasn't a true automatic or something along those lines. I think the car def leans more towards performance rather than luxury.

That being said, def try to drive the 750iL again. I leased a 745iL (prev. model with less power) for 2 years. This car has a alot personality....hmmm, kinda like a Daytona. Sporty and classy with alot of luxury as well. The Lexus is nice, with some cool technology, but the 7 is def the drivers car out of the two.

Not many match the 'feel' of BMW ... That statement is true for all their models.One thing they do well,is to match their gearing perfect to the engine.Thats why performance tests always show them to be quicker,compared to similar powered competitors....
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2006, 03:31 PM   #6
Blue Bull
Banned

[QUOTE=SeaGoer;155111][QUOTE=montecristo;155046]......................................
For 95k, I would probably buy something else,...............
Quote:

for a few $ more; Aston Martin DB9
Aston Martin .... BUT,I am to poor to even dream about it ..
Old 31 December 2006, 03:34 PM   #7
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodentman View Post
I'm so poor I'm not permitted to even look at Maseratis.
Me too !! I cant look at Mazdarattis ...

One of my fellow students at Med School had an old Mazda 323 and he changed the name at the back to ... Mazdaratti .
Old 31 December 2006, 03:43 PM   #8
Timascus

For a more responsive car in the 80-95k range, check out the MB AMG series:

IMHO E55 AMG would be a top pick.
Timascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2006, 04:01 PM   #9
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timascus View Post
For a more responsive car in the 80-95k range, check out the MB AMG series:

IMHO E55 AMG would be a top pick.
That was my company car. Major disappointment. I would not recommend for the money. Just too many nit-picky little issues (mainly quality). I had the light interior. Turns out the dashboard is only painted in the color, so it comes off exposing the black color of the dash underneath. Pretty crummy quality control if you ask me.
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2006, 04:08 PM   #10
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablojota View Post
That was my company car. Major disappointment. I would not recommend for the money. Just too many nit-picky little issues (mainly quality). I had the light interior. Turns out the dashboard is only painted in the color, so it comes off exposing the black color of the dash underneath. Pretty crummy quality control if you ask me.
My E320 2001 model,needed a new bottom end of the engine,after 28000 km.That was my first and very last Merc... EVER !! Real quality issues with the 2000-2001 Mercs.Article in BusinessWeek. The company and the dealer,also had an extremely bad attitude ...
Old 31 December 2006, 11:13 PM   #11
SeaGoer

Watch: TT YM, TT GMT IIC
MB's are not anymore what they used to be! 1999 was the last "old school" run.
SeaGoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2006, 11:53 PM   #12
montecristo
"TRF" Member

I don't think I want a BMW, I hate twiddling with that idrive thing, that and the interior isn't as well made as the lexus.

I don't want AMG, comfort is more important than speed.

I am going out for brunch and car shopping soon. Probably going to start with an audi dealership first.
Old 1 January 2007, 01:26 AM   #13
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bull View Post
My E320 2001 model,needed a new bottom end of the engine,after 28000 km.That was my first and very last Merc... EVER !! Real quality issues with the 2000-2001 Mercs.Article in BusinessWeek. The company and the dealer,also had an extremely bad attitude ...
Mine was an '04. Not impressed.

Try the Infiniti G35. I think you'll like the Audi.
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2007, 04:56 AM   #14
Timascus

MB is not MB anymore, not since the "merger" with Chrysler.

Today the company is run by MBAs that don't know anything other than what they learned in school and care little other than their share options.

Manufacturers cram way too much electronics in vehicles and gremlins are the norm. If you keep your car for any period of time, you will have a hard time finding a "keeper" vehicle. The consensus now is for consumers to keep a vehicle only for 3-5 years and trade in for the next greatest thing.

Depending on your personal needs, choosing a vehicle is as personal as choosing a time piece. Is there something specific you are looking for in terms of vehicle characteristics? For play I would say the Corvette Z07 is the best car you can get on this side of 200k. For safety I would go with an S-class. For overall "best bang for the buck," buy a Honda or a Toyota.

For me, I keep my vehicles for the long run and demand a great deal from it. I travel as a part of my work and drive regularly on first world highways to non-roads in third world countries. Vehicle failure under harsh conditions is not an option.

I recommended the E class because it is a robust design. I have owned a total of 7 vehicles from this model line since its introduction and other than the three that were destroyed by physical attack, they are all still on the road. One of them has just passed the 250,000 mi mark.
Timascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2007, 05:29 AM   #15
madformac
"TRF" Member

You don't want the Aston DB9. Its a nice car but they have major electronic gremlins. Plus they flatten the battery standing still! The V8 is a much better option.
madformac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2007, 05:32 AM   #16
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac View Post
You don't want the Aston DB9. Its a nice car but they have major electronic gremlins. Plus they flatten the battery standing still! The V8 is a much better option.
You'd look good in a Mini Cooper, tosser!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2007, 06:39 AM   #17
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo View Post
I don't think I want a BMW, I hate twiddling with that idrive thing, that and the interior isn't as well made as the lexus.

I don't want AMG, comfort is more important than speed.

I am going out for brunch and car shopping soon. Probably going to start with an audi dealership first.
I would give the LS 460 another try, Monte. I am really liking ours. I will admit it is not as smooth riding as the LS430 we traded, which had air suspension. But other than that, I find the LS has very good road feel and enough buttons and doohickeys that you won't get tired while driving it.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2007, 01:11 PM   #18
montecristo
"TRF" Member

I will probably get the 460L with everything, knowing myself, if I miss on any options upgrade, I am going to wish I have it when the car is delivered.

Today I tried the A8L and S8, they are nice cars, but I honestly can't say I like neither one of them, I probably like the A8L more than the 750Li, and the S8 got my attention for a while until I saw the computer was telling me that I was getting 7 mpg with the way I was driving.

So far I am most certain about the 460L, but she won't give me any break at all.
Do you think I can try to convince her to sell me at dealer invoice and I kick her a grand or two cash on the side?