The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 January 2007, 06:14 PM   #1
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Alan Furman Watches

Can you explain to me how Alan Furmans watch shop works? He buys his watches from an AD and a discount price and then sells them a little higher at a discount price?

How is his service and reliability and reputation?

Thanks.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2007, 07:45 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Can you explain to me how Alan Furmans watch shop works? He buys his watches from an AD and a discount price and then sells them a little higher at a discount price?

Thanks.
Well cannot tell you how is business side works,but he has a bricks and mortar store which is a big plus.Several forum members have bought from him,with good results and seems to have a very good customer service.The downside you will not get a Rolex guarantee,same for all grey market sales.But he has his own in-house watchmakers to do repairs if needed. In his own guarantee period which is the same as Rolex I now believe.Myself dont think the Rolex guarantee is the top priority. When you think of the very very small that go wrong.The top priority for me is getting a genuine watch,and all I have heard is that he only deals in the genuine watches.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2007, 07:53 PM   #3
ginzo

Watch: GMT/1675 Exp/1016
I do not have first hand knowledge of Alan Furmans but from what I have seen on this forum they are alittle cheaper but you don't get a Rolex warranty but you do get all the paperwork. Apparently they provide their own warranty with in house service by a Rolex certified watch repair man, with Rolex parts. Members that have done business with them seem to be happy. They are a brick and mortar store with a good reputation. Compare prices and see if it is worth it to you to lose some of the services you would get with an AD.
ginzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2007, 08:25 PM   #4
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
My only experience was one telephone conversation. I called regarding the purchase of an Explorer I. The sales person confirmed your understanding as A/F's source of watches. I also asked regarding the warranty. My understanding was that since A/F buys the watches from an AD, they do come with a Rolex warranty. It is my own belief that the warranty would start on the date that the purchase by A/F from the AD occurs, not from the date of sale by A/F to the ultimate consumer. I am not familiar enough with Rolex warranties to determine if a buyer from A/F would get only the balance of the original Rolex warranty, but that would seem logical.

I then made inquiry regarding the taking in on trade my 1985 SS Submariner date. I explained in detail the condition of the watch, ie; little worn, bought new at a Alexandria, Virginia AD by me July 25, 1985, Boxes, papers, anchor, tag, (everything but the hologram). I also described that the dial was perfect but for the "patina" of the tritium markings which have turned a tan color and the dot at 12 on the bezel insert being brown. The salesman had me on hold and came back and advised that they could give me something in the neighborhood of $1500 "depending on condition", towards the purchase price of $3890 on the "new" Explorer. The "new" Explorer is retail listed at $4250 or a savings of $360. The salesman advised that because of the "market" SS Subs had dropped in price.

In contrast, last week I was again on the telephone with an AD (South Florida) making inquiry regarding a Ball watch. I remarked that I thought in the past the Ball AD had been a Rolex AD but that I did not see that in their ad. The shop owner advised that they are still a Rolex AD and have been as long as he can remember. The shop was started by his Grandfather over 75 years ago. I have been a previous customer of the shop, and it is a first class old fashioned family business in South Florida. I then asked if they had any Explorer I and what would they give me on trade on my Sub. The owner advised that as I described he would give me no less than $2500 and more like $3000 as he can sell as many Subs as he can get. This would be on the retail price of $4250. He also has an authorized Rolex repairman and would 100% refurbish my Sub, with new dial, bezel insert, hands, service, etc. for under $700.

Bearing in mind that neither dealer saw my watch, there is no guarantee that either deal would shake out as discussed. For me, given the discussions, I would pass on A/F. For me, just the warranty issue would not seem to justify such a minor price reduction. I do believe that there are AD's that, if you made them a cash offer of $3890 on a new Explorer, they would accept. The trade in aspect mucks up most deals.

I do not rely 100% on the results of telephone contact either positive or negative, there is room for misunderstanding and mistake. I have no information regarding AF's reputation, service or reliability. I believe they have been in business in the DC area for a long time. The DC market has to be a strong Rolex market based on my knowledge of the DC market for other high end items, notably BMW and Ducati motorcycles.

Best of luck.
jim
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2007, 12:44 AM   #5
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Quote:
Originally Posted by from link
I purchased/received a Rolex from ALAN FURMAN (early 2006) with paperwork that had someone else's name removed (including the top layer of paper) from the Certificate of Authenticity. The scratched out location where the name ususally goes was strategically covered up with an adhesive UPC sticker so that I didn't notice the damage until I began wondering what a sticker was doing covering up the location of the new owner's name and address. Upon very carefully removing the sticker, I saw that some writing had been erased so hard the cert was actually thinner and missing the burgundy colored line on the cert.

I spoke with Alan Furman about it and he said he had no idea about it. Other than stating that the "watch was inspected upon arrival" and that the "hologram was in good shape". I didn't know how to tell Alan that you can get new Rolex hologram stickers on Ebay for a few dollars. Other than that Alan offered no explanation or remedies to assuage my concerns other than stating their warranty policy. He was pleasant on the phone but I got the feeling that he was saying 'tough luck, the watch looks good and that should be enough'.

Let me state that the watch was in fact authentic and in good shape (although I cannot definitively state it was NEW, as refurbs look NEW to me too), but I was buying what was advertised as a NEW (in the Box) WATCH, not a watch that had been previously "owned by" or "assigned to" someone else, regardless of the condition of the watch. It was an unsettling feeling after purchasing a NEW watch for about $7000 in cash, then getting a questionable watch with all the unsettling indicators of a questionable if not bad deal. It was my first time purchasing from them and I am very disappointed.

I purchased from them due to some others having a positive experiences with them here on Watchnet. FOR ME, IT WAS THE WRONG DECISION. But, I guess your perspective on my experience depends if you don't mind if your "NEW" watch comes with a shady history. But to me I was told it was "NEW with full and OPEN Documents" and what I got was DISHONESTLY ALTERED PAPERWORK (dishonest due to cover up sticker over purposeful damage), NO ROLEX BOOKLETS, NO ROLEX ACCESSORIES, MISSING POLISHING CLOTH, and a watch with a questionable history.

I WILL NOT PURCHASE FROM THEM AGAIN. You may have had better luck (as some here have) but I will not take that chance again with my money.

Best of Luck to you all in your search for a good seller.

Kevin
http://www.watchnet.com/forums/dealw...ames;read=6509
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2007, 01:39 AM   #6
Watchmaster
Banned

One of the watches I bought from him turned out to be a very good replica, but not the real thing. I have tried to return it to no avail and have since contacted my attorney. Beware of this seller...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post

Thanks.
Watchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2007, 02:17 AM   #7
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchmaster View Post
One of the watches I bought from him turned out to be a very good replica, but not the real thing. I have tried to return it to no avail and have since contacted my attorney. Beware of this seller...
......... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2007, 02:23 AM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
When you say one of, did you buy a few watches from this retailer,could you post a picture of this watch replica.After
all he is not only a site in cyber space. He has a bricks and
mortar store,and that would be my first port of call if he sold me a replica.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2007, 02:25 AM   #9
rolexfan21

Watch: 16610
Quote:
For some reason I find this hard to believe... I dont think it is likely that anyone with a B&M store would do something like this... they would quickly run outta business
rolexfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2007, 02:37 AM   #10
Watchmaster
Banned

I have bought 2 from him. One was completely legit. The other had an ETA movement in it with "plated" 18k gold. My usual AD (who I had size it for me) pointed out the many flaws. Again, it was a good fake. I did call and they said they were unaware of such a thing. In fact - denied it. My attorney is working on this for me and the watch has been sent directly to Rolex USA with the original receipt, etc., to get to the bottom of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
When you say one of, did you buy a few watches from this retailer,could you post a picture of this watch replica.After
all he is not only a site in cyber space. He has a bricks and
mortar store,and that would be my first port of call if he sold me a replica.
Watchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2007, 02:38 AM   #11
C.J.
"TRF" Member

I have several friends who purchased from alanfurman. A couple were rather expensive and a couple were mid-range but all were very, very pleased with their service and product. All papers, booklets and tags were in order and the watches were pristine with protective plastic coatings still in place.

The warranty offered is solely that of Alan Furman and NOT Rolex at all. Although, all serial numbers are in place and RSC will service the watch. I recently spoke with Alan at alanfurman in reference to trade value for a 14060M. It was only $3150 for one less than a month old. He went on to explain that he had to sell the watch as used and at this time he was paying $3500 for new 14060M's. He added that the price he pays for the more popular professional line watches fluctuates based upon popularity and demand.

I personally would have no reservations about buying from them. Nor would I have any concerns in reference to my purchase not being authentic
Old 9 January 2007, 03:24 AM   #12
mike
"TRF" Member

Interesting discussion guys, and one that jogged my memory. I thought I remembered a thread discussing AF in the past. Did a search and found this,

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...ghlight=furman

Seems all turned out well.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2007, 03:28 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
While the AF set up and watches look very legit to me, his prices come no where even close to what I can get from my ADs here in Auckland!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2007, 03:43 AM   #14
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
To each their own, but to save less than 10%? I don't think so.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2007, 03:46 AM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
I can save more than 10% off AF's prices from my ADs!! So give me one good reason why I should go anywhere else?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2007, 04:00 AM   #16
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
I read what you guys are saying and read the link. The discount is only $300+. But , you guys are still paying in the neighborhood of an AD price range. In my opinion, if I am still spending $3000 then I am going to find me an AD period! How would you know the certified Rolex tech is there everyday if you buying over the net?? I purchased from a seller on ebay after getting a good feeling and I employ a personal non Rolex watchrepairman because I trust him plus he is knowledgeable on MY watch. I paid a decent price for my watch and have it cared for by a repairman that will charge me less than $100 or free cleaning and adjustments if I want them on my Rolex. And if you recieved a watch with an ETA then how in the world could you not be disappointed and call it a good fake???? That doesn't sound right.....To each there own
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2007, 04:24 AM   #17
montecristo
"TRF" Member

I personally am an all AD buy new only person.
I realized by simply pointing you to the link above might not be the best idea.

Basically when you hear things from a third party, its best to use your own judgment. Personally I'd take all comments with a grain of salt, I mean for all it matters, maybe all the good things you hear about AF on the internet are posted by AF themselves, and everything against them are by competitions.

Your best bet? Take a trip to Hong Kong and buy one from a HK AD.
Old 9 January 2007, 04:26 AM   #18
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
10 is standard, try close to 30%.
Old 9 January 2007, 04:48 AM   #19
SeaGoer

Watch: TT YM, TT GMT IIC
Although I have never bought from Furman, I have been to his store in Maryland. The place looks reputable. I considered buying from him but at the end the AD price came close to Furman's price and I ended up buying from the AD.
The value of reputable grey market dealers to the consumer is, in my opinion, twofold:
a. Offers another, less expensive, avenue in procuring the watch, and
b. Helps in keeping the AD's in a "negotiation" mode with the consumer.

I find item b. more usefull than a.
SeaGoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2007, 05:51 AM   #20
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaGoer View Post
Although I have never bought from Furman, I have been to his store in Maryland. The place looks reputable. I considered buying from him but at the end the AD price came close to Furman's price and I ended up buying from the AD.
The value of reputable grey market dealers to the consumer is, in my opinion, twofold:
a. Offers another, less expensive, avenue in procuring the watch, and
b. Helps in keeping the AD's in a "negotiation" mode with the consumer.

I find item b. more usefull than a.
In my previous two(and only) Rolex buying experiences,the AD was actually less expensive,compared to the Grey,on brand new Rolex's. At least true,in my part of the world.Also,not a huge grey market,so the competition is more between the ADs,for the sale.Its a MUCH smaller market compared to the States,so the ADs are much more familiar with each others business practices.I dont play ADs off against each other,I shop around the best I can get and thats that.Ironically,the one AD is always the best on his pricing.Also,the closest one to home ...
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2007, 06:20 AM   #21
Nine11
Banned

Watch: Z Series SS Sub/Dt
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo View Post

Basically when you hear things from a third party, its best to use your own judgment. Personally I'd take all comments with a grain of salt, I mean for all it matters, maybe all the good things you hear about AF on the internet are posted by AF themselves, and everything against them are by competitions.

Or buy from a trusted grey market dealer that buys from an AD in HK and sells it to you. The Grey market dealer I bought mine from buys from the HK AD (The Oriental Watch Group Ltd.) and they are the AD that is stamped on the paperwork. No warranty issues here. Is it worth 12 to 15 percent? I thought so. The AD's that I dealt with in Maryland and the surrounding area would not budge off the list price. So they lost a deal for about 800 dollars. Here is their link.

http://www.orientalwatch.com.hk/
Nine11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2007, 08:34 AM   #22
sevoguy

Watch: TT DJ/Blue Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
While the AF set up and watches look very legit to me, his prices come no where even close to what I can get from my ADs here in Auckland!!
Hope my wife doesn't read this...
Sevoguy
sevoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2007, 09:14 AM   #23
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
My friend's haven't had a problem with AF.
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2007, 10:00 AM   #24
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:

Good advise. I am the same, AD or reputable dealer and I only buy in person. I like to look the person I am buying from in the eye and feel the watch. I dont like buying pictures....

And you are right about the prices here in HK and Macau, walk in off the street prices are great...and then you start to haggle, thats when it is fun.

Flyjet601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2007, 11:13 AM   #25
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyjet601 View Post
Good advise. I am the same, AD or reputable dealer and I only buy in person. I like to look the person I am buying from in the eye and feel the watch. I dont like buying pictures....

And you are right about the prices here in HK and Macau, walk in off the street prices are great...and then you start to haggle, thats when it is fun.

In HK, I think there are more AD within 25 mile radius than the entire east coast of United States combined.

Competition works.
Old 9 January 2007, 11:48 AM   #26
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
In HK, I think there are more AD within 25 mile radius than the entire east coast of United States combined.

Competition works.
You got that right. There is one(or more) on every corner. Great prices
Flyjet601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2007, 12:15 PM   #27
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Read something recently that Hong Kong imports about $250million a year in Swiss Watches, while the USA imports around $270 million a year. Now when you consider the population of Hong Kong is around 8 million compared to the USA's 250 million, you get a understanding. Maybe why buying a Rolex in HK is 25% cheaper than the USA. Many WIS in HK. Go to any book or magazine store and you will see dozens of copies of watch magazines. HK people always look at your watch. Americans for the most part do not really care. Most HK people are aware of other swiss brands besides Rolex.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2007, 12:48 PM   #28
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
Hong Kong is a shopping mecca for the Far East. When I was living in Manila, that's where you went to do your serious shopping.

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote