The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 January 2010, 12:47 PM   #1
molerus
"TRF" Member

$6152.18 for new submariner

Today I visited Voyale De Versailles jewlers in Toronto and was contemplating two watches... v serial ss sub date @ $6152.18 with tax or a sub lv for roughly $500 more.Thats 20% off msrp but still I'am not quite conving enough to take that final step and buy it. Any imput on the price would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance
molerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 12:49 PM   #2
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
seriously...check out the trusted sellers on here....guaranteed better prices

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 12:49 PM   #3
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
oh...and welcome to TRF

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 01:06 PM   #4
Hummer
"TRF" Member

MSRP in Canadian Dollars for those two watches are :

SS Sub Date is $6980
Sub LV is $7420

Even with a strong Cdn Dollar, buying and shipping from the USA will cost you an additional 5% in duty, plus GST and PST, and not to forget any shipping costs and brokerage fees. That rules out some very excellent sellers from the USA here in TRF. If you happen to be travelling or visiting in the USA, you can buy and wear your Rolex back and chance it coming back through customs.
20% off for a SS Sports Rolex model is an excellent discount coming from an AD.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 01:33 PM   #5
rickyslam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk, DaytonaC, DJ
TRF classified section is the best way to go. All of them are very trusty, even the locals don't mind meeting in face-to-face transactions!

& Welcome to TRF!!
rickyslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 01:37 PM   #6
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
As the wise members have mentioned, you can save many hundreds and even thousands by buying from the trusted sellers on TRF.

No, you won't have the AD experience and all that entails--treating you like royalty, bringing coffee and chocolates and freebies every now and then.

But the thousands you save buying from one of our excellent sellers can surely buy all the coffee and chocolate you want. Just no butt-kissing!

Best of luck!

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 02:39 PM   #7
Hummer
"TRF" Member

To illustrate why it does not make economic sense for Canadians to buy and ship a Rolex from the USA, let's do the math :
Assuming one can find a SS Sub Date for $5000US in BN condition,
At the current exchange rate of $1.00US = $1.08Cdn
$5000US = $5400Cdn
We now tack on all applicable duties and taxes,
$5400.00
+270.00 ( 5% Duty )
+270.00 ( 5% Goods and Services Tax )
+378.00 ( 7% Provincial Sales Tax )
$6318.00Cdn
MSRP of SS Sub Date in Cdn Dollars is $6980
I still have not added any estimated shipping costs and/or brokerage fees. If I can purchased from an AD for $6152Cdn ( all taxes in ), I would have kept in my pocket several hundred dollars by buying locally. Personally, I do not know of anyone or why would anyone in Canada buy and ship a Rolex from the USA, as per the above illustration.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 03:03 PM   #8
Whiskey
Banned

Watch: Deepsea
PM sent
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 03:15 PM   #9
rescue7
Banned

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
To illustrate why it does not make economic sense for Canadians to buy and ship a Rolex from the USA, let's do the math :
$5000US = $5400Cdn
$5400.00
+270.00 ( 5% Duty )
$6318.00Cdn
I still have not added any estimated shipping costs and/or brokerage fees. If I can purchased from an AD for $6152Cdn ( all taxes in ), I would have kept in my pocket several hundred dollars by buying locally. Personally, I do not know of anyone or why would anyone in Canada buy and ship a Rolex from the USA, as per the above illustration.
I agree with you 100%. Buy your Rolex in Canada if you are from Canada.

Also while travel to and from the States, Canada customs agent notices the lovely Rolex watch on your wrist, they now start asking such questions like "where did you purchase the watch? do you have a bill of sale?" and we all know Rolex issues a warranty card with a country code indicating the country that it was shipped to.

Now what, customs Canada can and will charge duties, taxes but they can also confiscate the watch.
rescue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 03:16 PM   #10
Rolex Freak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
$5000US = $5400Cdn
$5400.00
+270.00 ( 5% Duty )
$6318.00Cdn
I've purchased every single one of my watches from the US without any extra fees. Purchase from the right seller and you'll save big and have the watch in your hands within 24hrs. I speak from experience and about 10 watches from the US if not more.
Rolex Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 11:57 PM   #11
rescue7
Banned

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex Freak View Post
I've purchased every single one of my watches from the US without any extra fees. Purchase from the right seller and you'll save big and have the watch in your hands within 24hrs. I speak from experience and about 10 watches from the US if not more.
Your talking about purchasing the watches directly from the seller or are you shipping the watch via UPS or USPS?

I regularly have items shipped via the 2 mentioned above and I always end up paying taxes and or brokerage fees.

I'm happy for you in saving the taxes and duties, just be careful whenever you cross the border and come back into Canada, i've heard horror stories that have happened many years after the initial purchase.
rescue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 04:04 AM   #12
chuckles02912

I second that you should be buying those models in the for sale section here. The reputable names you can trust and you'll save yourself meaningful amounts of money.
chuckles02912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2010, 10:09 AM   #13
dyphototeacher

Watch: Speedmaster 3572
That seems to be a good price. I'm in the Toronto area as well and am interested in getting a sub. I'm still considered several options but things are a bit more complicated when you are Canadian.

Here is my calculations - List price - $6000.00 - 20% discount - $4800.00 US
(not sure how easy it is to get 20% discount on a sub - it seems sellers of new ones are discounting 13-15% at most)

CAN/US exchange at 8% brings Canadian price to $5184.00.
5% duty - $259.20
5% GST - $ 259.20
8% GST - $414.72
Total: $6117.12

This does not include shipping, insurance and a brokerage fee if shipped by something other than United States Postal Service.

Keep in mind this is also brand new with full warranty. The prices on the sales section seem very good until you add 18% taxes and duty onto them. The original poster would need to find a BN sub with full AD warranty for less than $4800.00 to purchase for less than the price he was offered. It seems most sellers are asking $300-$400 more than this for a new sub date.
dyphototeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2010, 10:55 AM   #14
lexlaw69
"TRF" Member

How do you hook up with the TRF sellers? I don't see the discounts discussed in other topics. For example, i'm looking for a GMT 2 C. I haven't found the 20% discounted mentioned in many posts here....help appreciated.
lexlaw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2010, 02:13 AM   #15
molerus
"TRF" Member

If your interested in a new sub and your from Toronto, go visit RDV. 20% msrp as soon as you enter the door. I decided on the 16610 LV and paid $6500 cash. Thats slightly more that 22% off msrp. I still think I could have done better but I'm not that great a negotiater. After doing alot of homework here on TRF and elsewhere, I found if your Canadian (Torontonian in particular) Its not worth it buying BRAND NEW from anywhere else. Really enjoying the new sub though, great watch. Working on posting photos too
molerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2010, 03:35 AM   #16
drjack
"TRF" Member

I'm a newbie to the site but a long time Rolex wearer, about 35 years. I'll be in Toronto this weekend. What and where is RDV?
Thanks. Great site
J
drjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2010, 06:06 AM   #17
rfknauss
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513 Sub, LV Sub
Welcome to TRF!

"Few things in life give man as great a pleasure as wearing a Rolex!"

TRF's "AFTER DARK" Bar & NightClub Patron
rfknauss is offline   Reply With Quote