The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 March 2010, 03:14 AM   #1
jnmarshall
"TRF" Member

Placing watches in a watch winder?

This is my first experience with a winder and I just got it last week. There is a lot of play or movement of the watch when set in the winder because of my band size. Apparently have a VERY fat wrist (8.5"+). So as the watch turns it basically flops around. I don't think this is a good thing. The pillows have adjustments to go smaller by removing layers so I was able to get my wife's watches in. For mine I've tried adding foam but then the watch sits too high and hits the top of the case. IF I place the foam underneath the clasp the pillows will not securely sit in the winder and fall out. Any suggestions on how to use this?
jnmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 03:16 AM   #2
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
You will probably think this is funny but I have added some duct tape around the pad so it fits perfectly. Might not look great but it gets the job done.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 03:30 AM   #3
Balboa

What brand of winder? Many winders (most?) have a spring loaded holder that expands to apply proper tension on the bracelet and watch.

Mark
Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 03:33 AM   #4
Kokyuryoku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
Super glue?.....

You could always remove the bracelet and put on a smaller one, but that sort of defeats the purpose of a winder doesn't it...hmmm Have you tried adding foam all around the pillow and not just under the clasp?

Omega 3570.50 (77mil) Rolex 16610 (V) Rolex 1601 (1966) Seiko BM
Kokyuryoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 03:44 AM   #5
jnmarshall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balboa View Post
What brand of winder? Many winders (most?) have a spring loaded holder that expands to apply proper tension on the bracelet and watch.

Mark
It's an Ace Timer. Very low end. But surprisingly VERY quiet! It's been running, or actually starting and stopping, for two days set for 650 winds per day. There's no spring loaded pillows. I've been trying to cut foam to to take up the slack to keep the watch from flopping and at the same time can't add it to the bottom so the pillows stay installed.
Old 14 March 2010, 04:58 AM   #6
Watch Professor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC; Sub Date
Call the manufacturer and ask for a larger pillow. I did that for both my Orbitas and Wolf winders and received them, no charge.
Watch Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 05:04 AM   #7
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Anyone have an issue that your watch gains more time when on the winder? My GMTIIC losses 1.2 seconds a day on my wrist and at rest, but when I leave it on a winder for 24 hours the watch gains 18 seconds.

And advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 05:19 AM   #8
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
I have the same winder. Can you put the foam at the opposite ends of the pillow (instead of under the clasp or head), between the pillow and that band? Are you using the middle slot of the winder head? Also, mine has a latch the snaps the cover down. maybe not snapping shut and therefor leaving it propped open about .25" might also help.

I have been using mine for a little over a week and so far no time gain or loss...I'm still about +2 a day.
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 05:43 AM   #9
jnmarshall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopJr View Post
I have the same winder. Can you put the foam at the opposite ends of the pillow (instead of under the clasp or head), between the pillow and that band? Are you using the middle slot of the winder head? Also, mine has a latch the snaps the cover down. maybe not snapping shut and therefor leaving it propped open about .25" might also help.

I have been using mine for a little over a week and so far no time gain or loss...I'm still about +2 a day.
Middle slot? I got the quad+5 model. Each head has two slots. your suggestion of putting the foam at each end is what I've been play with. It leaves the watch head a little loose and floppy but it doesn't hit the glass.
Old 14 March 2010, 05:49 AM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmarshall View Post
This is my first experience with a winder and I just got it last week. There is a lot of play or movement of the watch when set in the winder because of my band size. Apparently have a VERY fat wrist (8.5"+). So as the watch turns it basically flops around. I don't think this is a good thing. The pillows have adjustments to go smaller by removing layers so I was able to get my wife's watches in. For mine I've tried adding foam but then the watch sits too high and hits the top of the case. IF I place the foam underneath the clasp the pillows will not securely sit in the winder and fall out. Any suggestions on how to use this?

Sell the winder the best winder is your own wrist,IMHO automatic watches are designed to be worn by people only.And people move in a huge diversity of manners, causing a fairly even distribution of motion of the watches winding mechanism. A watch winder is normally limited to a very small number of directions and types of movement normally just back and throe.IMHO a badly designed winder could in theory damage a watch and cause wear from excessive and repetitive movement on the same plane and axis.Now because the oils used in most modern watches today and when properly serviced are not very prone to clotting or coagulating like the old mineral oils so its not a problem to just rest a watch for a month or longer.So IMHO watch-winders are not needed with any watch with just a simple date complication save the money put it toward a new watch.

While there is no significant evidence that a good watch winder will either save or harm your watch.Over the many years of dealing with Rolex Bexly and talking to the various watchmakers there, who did not recommend watch-winders for any of the Rolex line up.Its quite funny now that Rolex have brought out a Rolex branded winder,its simple today watch winders = big £££$$$ and huge profits.IMHO many watch-winders today have a high quality finish on the outside (to justify the extremely high price),but hiding some very cheaply mass-produced insides. .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 05:57 AM   #11
Bullyterrier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Its quite funny now that Rolex have brought out a Rolex branded winder,its simple today watch winders = big £££$$$ and huge profits..
Just like their watches then

Last edited by Bullyterrier; 14 March 2010 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: spelling mistake: There instead of Their
Bullyterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 06:22 AM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naples09 View Post
Anyone have an issue that your watch gains more time when on the winder? My GMTIIC losses 1.2 seconds a day on my wrist and at rest, but when I leave it on a winder for 24 hours the watch gains 18 seconds.

And advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Thats possibly down to being in the same position back and throe for 24 hours but seems quite a gain.Myself not a huge fan of winders and IMO not necessary with watches with just a simple date complication.Not a problem to just let them stop rewind and reset.Trouble today in this push button age some are getting to lazy to wind there watches,I bet it takes all of 30 seconds to wind and reset a watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullyterrier View Post
Just like there watches then
Agree they have always been expensive and the way they are going
soon will be beyond the ridiculous prices for designer handbags etc...

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 06:26 AM   #13
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmarshall View Post
Middle slot?
Yes...take out the two pillows and place one in the head perpendicular.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w2.jpg (101.6 KB, 112 views)
Old 14 March 2010, 06:28 AM   #14
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Trouble today in this push button age some are getting to lazy to wind there watches,I bet it takes all of 30 seconds to wind and reset a watch.

It's a nice convenience...and I'm FAR from lazy!
Old 14 March 2010, 08:16 AM   #15
jnmarshall
"TRF" Member

I see! It's clearer when you take both pillows out! Would be nice if the so called instructions documented all these cool features!
Old 14 March 2010, 09:59 AM   #16
PA6-541

You could wind a strip of cloth around the holder until you reach the desired "diameter" and then glue the end to the strip with contact cement or wrap a rubber band around it.
PA6-541 is offline   Reply With Quote