The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 March 2010, 01:07 PM   #1
rkim11
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Changing inserts on an LV

I am reading alot of threads about RWFers changing inserts on the LV to black. I have seen the pics and they look good... And I understand that 98% of the planet would think this is a genuine unaltered Rolex... And I know that everyone has their preferences... But I just can't wrap my mind around this- every time I looked at my watch I wouldn't see a "real" Rolex. I dunno...if the pics of the black LV's were a Rolex release of an upcoming new sub I'd say WOW. But since I know it's a watch that wasn't made that way by Rolex, it doesn't look "natural." Am I crazy?
rkim11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2010, 01:11 PM   #2
FlyingMoose
"TRF" Member

I do believe the LV with a black bezel is "Rolex approved", in that they'll switch it for you if you ask. It's not like putting the glacier blue dial on a white gold day-date, since that dial only comes on the platinum version, and Rolex will have no part of switching it.
FlyingMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2010, 01:13 PM   #3
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

Yes
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
What I can't grasp is the mind-set that a Rolex must be "unaltered" to remain a Rolex..

If we went through life with everything the same for everybody, it would be a very dull world indeed.............
Old 14 March 2010, 05:50 AM   #5
rkim11
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Good point Tools
rkim11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 06:27 AM   #6
Eric89
"TRF" Member

I fully agree with Larry on this one. Watches are a very individualized thing and I see no problem with someone making some changes to their watch that they bought with their own money. To me it's a bit like cars, I always change things on my car to make it more unique am more mine, plus I enjoy the tinkering part. It's not like we are taking about fake rolex parts here, all parts are real rolex so I don't understand the big deal.
Eric89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 06:33 AM   #7
petesjag
"TRF" Member

Make it what you want it to be....
I put a custom factory diamond bezel on my Breitling...worried about thinking 'its not authentic' for literally months...
The point is...The watch looks great, I love how it looks,,only 0.0001% would/could see the difference between factory orig and custom (the difference is so slight), and now that I have gotten used to the idea..its no issue anymore...

putting a black bezel on an LV is no big deal...seems nice to be able to change the look a bit...I would also get one had I notalready had a black dial sport Rolex...
Old 14 March 2010, 06:45 AM   #8
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
hi johny here some interesting points. i bought a new ss sub on march 3rd and have already polished the clasp and the back plate. ithink it looks a lot better. might buy a green bezel if one is going cheap. enjoy your watch you paid for it.
Johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 09:38 AM   #9
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I'm with the OP on this one - keep it real.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 10:10 AM   #10
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
What I can't grasp is the mind-set that a Rolex must be "unaltered" to remain a Rolex..

If we went through life with everything the same for everybody, it would be a very dull world indeed.............
I agree with you Larry.
I have no problem with my 14060M on a NATO, a clear caseback on a Pepsi, meteorite dials on SS Daytonas etc etc etc but when Rolex refuse to service these watches because they have been 'modified' or change these watches back to 'original spec' at great expense while keeping the old parts then the wheels have fallen off IMO.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 10:17 AM   #11
jrbar-on
2024 Pledge Member

Larry,

I've had an LV Sub and I had both the OEM green bezel as well as an OEM black bezel. I could change the bezel (without harming the head) in about 5 minutes and I would do it whenever I was bored or wanted a new look. I think that the LV looks great with both bezels. The black is 'understated' (if that's possible for a Rolex) and the green makes the watch unique.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers,

Jonathan.
jrbar-on is offline   Reply With Quote