The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 4 April 2010, 07:23 AM   #31
datejust1
Banned

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
You'll be flinging it out of your DVD machine within the first 15 minutes of viewing time............that's how rotten the film was!!
It's true.. the first about 5 mins are horrible (the submarine thing)... but the ski chase and theme is... Also the Gunbarrel track is quite nasty for my ears... This person who made the track for this move, Marvin Hamslich id no Bond material... John Barry is the best...

Compare:

Marvin Hamslich

and John Barry (My fave gunbarrel from the Aussie actor, George Lazenby)

the gunshot is not from the movie but compare the track.
datejust1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 07:24 AM   #32
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Sean Connery and Daniel Craig......the best Bonds.....the others in between.....not so hot.
Dr. Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 07:26 AM   #33
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by datejust1 View Post
It's true.. the first about 5 mins are horrible (the submarine thing)... but the ski chase and theme is... Also the Gunbarrel track is quite nasty for my ears... This person who made the track for this move, Marvin Hamslich id no Bond material... John Barry is the best...

Compare:

Marvin Hamslich

and John Barry (My fave gunbarrel from the Aussie actor, George Lazenby)

the gunshot is not from the movie but compare the track.
Thanks, Gaby..........yes, you're right..........the second one is so much more exciting!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 07:27 AM   #34
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
Sean Connery and Daniel Craig......the best Bonds.....the others in between.....not so hot.
Craig bleeds.............and that to me is how it should be!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 4 April 2010, 07:29 AM   #35
datejust1
Banned

Quote:
Thanks, Gaby..........yes, you're right..........the second one is so much more exciting!!
And here JJ, watch this... not the gunbarrel... the other things!! :O Some cleavage!

Old 4 April 2010, 07:30 AM   #36
diversified
"TRF" Member

I'm with you on one thing JJ, even though alot of the members will never give up on Sean Connery, I think Daniel Craig is the best yet. He is one bada** James Bond!
diversified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 07:33 AM   #37
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: yo self!
Quote:
Craig, in my opinion, is the best Bond since Connery. Brosnan was NOT believable, but fortunately, he had the Special Effects technology to back him up and make his films look good!!
See that's why I like Brosnan...IMO James Bond ISN'T believeable...so the fact that he's not works for me.

And you're completely right about Moore....pansy at best.
Breitling: And some of these.
TattooedGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 07:33 AM   #38
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Great stuff, Gaby. "From Russia With Love" will always remain one of the BEST 007 films ever - can never forget that oh so realistic fight between Connery and Robert Shaw on the train.

For the year in which it was made, 1964, the effects were terrific for that genre!

So now you can understand how I feel when I compare that sissy Moore with the earlier films which starred Connery.

JJ

Old 4 April 2010, 07:35 AM   #39
datejust1
Banned

Quote:
Great stuff, Gaby. "From Russia With Love" will always remain one of the BEST 007 films ever - can never forget that oh so realistic fight between Connery and Robert Shaw on the train.

For the year in which it was made, 1964, the effects were terrific for that genre!

So now you can understand how I feel when I compare that sissy Moore with the earlier films which starred Connery.

JJ
Oh Yeah... I'm with you on that...
Old 4 April 2010, 07:37 AM   #40
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by diversified View Post
I'm with you on one thing JJ, even though alot of the members will never give up on Sean Connery, I think Daniel Craig is the best yet. He is one bada** James Bond!
Try and picture this scenario, buddy.....

Sean Connery young again, back in his 30s............and he has today's special effects software and technology to back him up!!

Can you imagine the quality of the Bond film that would be produced? Can you imagine how exciting each fight scene would turn out? Can you imagine how many of us would be going ooh and aah watching a young Connery bamboozling his way all across the silver screen?

Ahhhhhhhhhh.......to dream; but at least we have a young and powerfully built Daniel Craig to make some of our dreams come true!!

JJ

Old 4 April 2010, 07:43 AM   #41
Dr. Robert

AFAIK....Sean Connery is not a big watch guy.....Daniel Craig is....and is a very visible Rolex watch afficionado....w/ a very nice collection....by that fact alone.....makes him my current favorite Bond.
All that's needed now is for Rolex to be back on "Bond's" wrist......and Rolex putting lug holes back on stainless steel sport watches.
Old 4 April 2010, 07:43 AM   #42
diversified
"TRF" Member

I think that even at Connery's age, If the Bond producers wanted to, they could give Connery that "Craig" attitude and get away with it. Think about it, does anybody think that Connery is some kind of little "cry baby". Most would say in real life he is a real "mans man".
diversified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 07:44 AM   #43
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by diversified View Post
I think that even at Connery's age, If the Bond producers wanted to, they could give Connery that "Craig" attitude and get away with it. Think about it, does anybody think that Connery is some kind of little "cry baby". Most would say in real life he is a real "mans man".
At best, Connery could make a good "M" in today's Bond films!!

Let Craig take care of the blood and gore!!

Old 4 April 2010, 07:48 AM   #44
Dr. Robert

I am a big fan of Judi Dench....but I think Connery would make a terrific M.
Old 4 April 2010, 07:51 AM   #45
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
I am a big fan of Judi Dench....but I think Connery would make a terrific M.
Judi Dench is a terrific actress. I loved Bernard Lee's portrayal of "M" in Connery's movies. And I enjoyed that little altercation between him and Bond in "From Russia With Love" when Bond tried to make off with his Beretta instead of the Smith & Wesson which "M" was trying to enforce on him.........or was that in "Dr. No"?

JJ

Old 4 April 2010, 07:53 AM   #46
TerryF

Watch: GMT Master
I know you're talking hypothetically JJ, but I would hate to see Connery in a Bond movie as anyone else other than Bond himself - I think it would spoil the movie entirely.
TerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 07:54 AM   #47
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryF View Post
I know you're talking hypothetically JJ, but I would hate to see Connery in a Bond movie as anyone else other than Bond himself - I think it would spoil the movie entirely.
Agreed, Terry!!

But in all fairness to Connery, he has made quite a few movies other than Bond and has come up Aces in quite a few of them!!

Old 4 April 2010, 07:59 AM   #48
TerryF

Quote:
Agreed, Terry!!

But in all fairness to Connery, he has made quite a few movies other than Bond and has come up Aces in quite a few of them!!
No arguments there - he is one of the acting greats.

Who, in your opinion, would make the list of the top ten greatest actors/actresses in the last 25 years and where would Connery fit in?
Old 4 April 2010, 08:05 AM   #49
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
No arguments there - he is one of the acting greats.

Who, in your opinion, would make the list of the top ten greatest actors/actresses in the last 25 years and where would Connery fit in?
Very difficult question, Terry - the past 25 years have produced a number of superb actors and actresses, so it would be virtually impossible to boil it all down to just 10!!

However, to name a few greats.....

Al Pacino
Robert Di Niro
Tom Hanks
Daniel Day Lewis, etc., etc.

And in the ladies.........

Merryl Streep
Susan Sarandon
Reese Whiterspoon
....and many others, just can't seem to recall, unless you'd care to refresh my fading memory!!

Old 4 April 2010, 08:18 AM   #50
TerryF

Quote:
Very difficult question, Terry - the past 25 years have produced a number of superb actors and actresses, so it would be virtually impossible to boil it all down to just 10!!

However, to name a few greats.....

Al Pacino
Robert Di Niro
Tom Hanks
Daniel Day Lewis, etc., etc.

And in the ladies.........

Merryl Streep
Susan Sarandon
Reese Whiterspoon
....and many others, just can't seem to recall, unless you'd care to refresh my fading memory!!
I would have to add Morgan Freeman, Mel Gibson and Brad Pitt to the actors and actresses...
Keira Knightley, Julia Roberts and Jodi Foster

Check out this link of all time box office takings, both actors and actresses. I think you'll be surprised as to who is at the top of the list of actors - or perhaps, being a kiwi, it wont surprise you

http://www.the-movie-times.com/thrsd...mv?actors+ByAG
Old 4 April 2010, 08:22 AM   #51
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
I would have to add Morgan Freeman, Mel Gibson and Brad Pitt to the actors and actresses...
Keira Knightley, Julia Roberts and Jodi Foster

Check out this link of all time box office takings, both actors and actresses. I think you'll be surprised as to who is at the top of the list of actors - or perhaps, being a kiwi, it wont surprise you

http://www.the-movie-times.com/thrsd...mv?actors+ByAG
Yes, of course, how could I have left out the great Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins who performed so well in The Shawshank Redemption - what a superb film that was!!

Add to my list, Clint Eastwood and Ed Harris as well.

JJ

Old 4 April 2010, 09:02 AM   #52
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
the worst? i didn't know there were any good ones.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 09:51 AM   #53
bewithabob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetrends View Post
Connery made Bond leap out of Fleming's books.
I agree with this sentiment completely. During the Roger Moore years, some incredibly dull humor seemed to infected the stories. I never minded the far out, if not absurd gadgets brought in by Q, it only seemed to support the fantasy of the too good to be true advance of espionage technology. But when they brought a sheriff from the south into a story line, the franchise descended into a smokey and the bandit spin-off.

Thanks to their choice of Daniel Craig Bond is resurrected, but he's no Sean Connery.

Then again, was it the loss of Sean, or the switch from Rolex to Omega that brought the thing to its knees...

116509 Daytona Meteorite, 116520 Daytona Black, 116710 GMTIIC, 16013 DATEJUST,
CARTIER SANTOS 100 W20090X8, IWC Big Pilot, IWC Top Gun

"Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end."
bewithabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 09:58 AM   #54
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the review JJ. I have to say, this reminds me of when I watched Die Another Day, the last of the Brosnan Bond films, a few months ago. Again, a shocking plot, a ridiculous overreliance on cheesey puns and gadgetry, and generally an underwhelming experience. Daniel Craig is such a breath of fresh air
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 10:02 AM   #55
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Have you never seen Moonraker?

Quote:
Hi guys,

Well, our Channel ONE does show an old Bond film every Saturday night.............and this time it was, horror of horrors - The Spy Who Loved Me!!

First off, what on earth were Harry Saltzman and Albert Brocolli smoking when they signed on that Pansy, Roger Moore? The guy can't act for toffee..........all he does is romp around in his Savile Row suits and Van Heusen shirts without getting a single crease on them after each fight!!

And then you've got a plot so awfully thin that it would make a silk thread look strong by comparison. Granted that the film was made in 1977 and also granted that in the '70s Hollywood's film producing prowess had reached rock bottom and was at its very ebb; but this was a sorry excuse for a 007 film.

I mean, go BACK another decade and see what superb Bond films Connery came up with - Dr No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger and Thunderball to cite some of the best 4 examples.

Gadgetry was limited, the fights were real and Connery made Bond leap out of Fleming's books!!

Moore, on the other hand, was limp and insipid. The fight scene director needed to take a few lessons from a Tom & Jerry cartoon to make some of his fights appear more plausible.

The acting was wooden, dialogue weak, direction terrible and the plot boring............only saving grace being Barbara Bach's cleavage throughout the run of the film!! Even that 7-foot "Jaws" character with his steel teeth looked like a moronic idiot in the film!!

It was sad that Moore ruined the great image that Connery had made up in the '60s.

Thankfully, we now have Daniel Craig to make up for all those years when the last good Bond film we saw was Thunderball!!

I know that Connery looked pretty fed up of the role by the time he made the 5th film - You Only Live Twice!!

My rating: ½/10 - that ½ mark being given for Barbara's cleavage, that's it!!
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 10:14 AM   #56
rfknauss

Watch: 5513 Sub, LV Sub
JJ, I still think that Sean Connery was the best James Bond of all.

"Few things in life give man as great a pleasure as wearing a Rolex!"

TRF's "AFTER DARK" Bar & NightClub Patron
rfknauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 10:58 AM   #57
Renoir
"TRF" Member

I completely agree...even Roger Moore, in his first Bond movie, seemed a bit older for the part. I found it hard to believe that he would win in any fight, seemed to be too old manish and delicate.

I thought Pierce Brosnan was ok until Daniel Craig took over and "brought it back".
Renoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 11:39 AM   #58
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

Has anyone here read the books? Bond is a little more "Blue collar" than the films portray him as,,,,
Dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 11:49 AM   #59
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilemma View Post
Has anyone here read the books? Bond is a little more "Blue collar" than the films portray him as,,,,
yup...and 100% agree...the books portray a different bond to the films...all of them IMO...although I feel that Daniel Craig is possibly the most versatile & proficient "actor" of all ...and, therefore, is attempting to bring back the essence/depth of the man portrayed in the books.

With Sam Mendes directing the next instalment should be fascinating...as an ex- theatre director..and a process driven by depth of characterisation...will Mendes be able to fight of the producers old/tired - but workable and still successful formula..??? - or will he be able to put his stamp on the work...especially with a fine actor like Craig?

Looking forward to it.

As for Moore....he was a 'Dandy'.....brought humour to the role.....but that's lost in time.

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 11:58 AM   #60
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

Quote:
brought humour to the role.....
Too much IMHO. I didn't mind the occasional quip, but as the films progressed, it was overdone.

Casino Royale was true to the spirit of the novel, more so than any of the other films I feel,,,,,,,,

And Denise Richards was absolutely horrible as a Bond girl. PAINFULLY bad,,,,
Dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote