The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 June 2010, 01:04 AM   #1
Alienbaby

Yacht Master II + other questions from a NEWBIE!!!

I'm a novice when it comes to watches. I cruised through the forums and so far I've seen little talk about the Yacht Master II. I was just a little curious about this watch. Not saying I want it, I'm just curious about some of the negative characteristics to this watch--the potential dealbreakers. For example, I was watching a youtube review of the YM II and while it was getting a lot of praise, the reviewer said some horrible things about the YM I. Namely something about the material around some ring or something that easily sustained damage and was very expensive to repair. To me, things like that would prevent me from wanting to buy a watch.

I also have another question about Rolex dealers. Every now and then in my business travel, I luck out and find myself getting sent to an upscale area where I'll actually see a "Rolex" store as opposed to a jewelry store that advertises themselves as an authorized dealer. Are these stores really run by Rolex, or are they just another upscale store full of authorized dealers that exclusively sell Rolex watches? If they are really Rolex stores, why don't I see them listed on the store locator page of rolex.com?

Sorry for the newbie questions. Thanks for your time.
Alienbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2010, 01:11 AM   #2
ersnyder
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Welcome to TRF!

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with the YMII, it's a beautiful watch that looks great on the wrist. Depending on your cash situation, the price tag may be a negative but the watch is very cool.

The "Rolex" stores are independently owned but sell exclusively Rolex watches unlike other Rolex dealers that sell other brands as well as Rolex.
ersnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2010, 01:21 AM   #3
Rolex Jack

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienbaby View Post
I'm a novice when it comes to watches. I cruised through the forums and so far I've seen little talk about the Yacht Master II. I was just a little curious about this watch. Not saying I want it, I'm just curious about some of the negative characteristics to this watch--the potential dealbreakers. For example, I was watching a youtube review of the YM II and while it was getting a lot of praise, the reviewer said some horrible things about the YM I. Namely something about the material around some ring or something that easily sustained damage and was very expensive to repair. To me, things like that would prevent me from wanting to buy a watch.

I also have another question about Rolex dealers. Every now and then in my business travel, I luck out and find myself getting sent to an upscale area where I'll actually see a "Rolex" store as opposed to a jewelry store that advertises themselves as an authorized dealer. Are these stores really run by Rolex, or are they just another upscale store full of authorized dealers that exclusively sell Rolex watches? If they are really Rolex stores, why don't I see them listed on the store locator page of rolex.com?

Sorry for the newbie questions. Thanks for your time.
Hi,
You are right and you are right.

First... the material around the ring of the Yacht Master II is a Ceramic bezel insert... it is virtually scratch proof, fade proof and very hard... but it is brittle and if dropped could chip or shatter and cost may be $3k to replace, depending on which country you live in.

Fortunately most Rolex owners respect their watches too much to drop them :-)

Second... Rolex stores shown on the Rolex.com site often only have the main Importer / Distributor / Retailer listed for many countries... while there may be many more.

Example... if you search Hong Kong on the Rolex official web site only one name and address will come up.... but there may be 30 or 40 'Stores' selling Rolex and they are all official Rolex retailers.

Hope this helps, and good to see you have an interest in the worlds best watch.

kindest regards,
Jack
Rolex Jack is offline   Reply With Quote