The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 June 2010, 08:26 AM   #1
ibramr
"TRF" Member

Could it be explained by different market segmentation?

I agree with the friends here that the market for Rolex Explorer II is softer when compared with the almost indetical GMT (among others). Is it possible that this observation is explained by the attraction of the Explorer II as a second, or third, Rolex watch rather than the first? The hypothesis is... Once an entrant to the Rolex realm is attracted to the icons like the Sub and the GMT, expanding the collection would then find the Explorer II as a natural option. However, with second options, multi-watch owners may exhibit several series of bying and selling, different price senstivity levels, different income senstitivy levels..all leading to softer markets. Rolex Explorer II (lovely as it is) seems to serve a sub-market in Rolex, and this market is "those who have more than one Rolex watch".

Albeit to a lesser degree, the same could be saind about 14060 (although the date vs. no date argument comes strongly here as a fator). Any how, just a thought.
ibramr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2010, 12:23 AM   #2
SSSS
"TRF" Member

This is the case for me. Considering the Explorer II as a second watch to the dressier Datejust and Sintra for casual/weekend use and traveling thanks to the dual timezone feature.

How does this watch work for narrower wrists, say 6.25. Anyone been able to pull it off successfully?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibramr View Post
I agree with the friends here that the market for Rolex Explorer II is softer when compared with the almost indetical GMT (among others). Is it possible that this observation is explained by the attraction of the Explorer II as a second, or third, Rolex watch rather than the first? The hypothesis is... Once an entrant to the Rolex realm is attracted to the icons like the Sub and the GMT, expanding the collection would then find the Explorer II as a natural option. However, with second options, multi-watch owners may exhibit several series of bying and selling, different price senstivity levels, different income senstitivy levels..all leading to softer markets. Rolex Explorer II (lovely as it is) seems to serve a sub-market in Rolex, and this market is "those who have more than one Rolex watch".

Albeit to a lesser degree, the same could be saind about 14060 (although the date vs. no date argument comes strongly here as a fator). Any how, just a thought.

Last edited by SSSS; 28 June 2010 at 01:07 AM.. Reason: correction
SSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2010, 12:59 AM   #3
Dylan Wade

Watch: EXP II
Quote:

Interesting opinion for sure but I actually know a lot of single Rolex/watch owners who picked out the EXP II as their 1st choice and the comparitively minor savings vs say a Sub or GMT etc was simply a bonus not a factor. At the same time I agree that the EXP (more so the white dial) fills the niche you mention for multiple Rolex/watch owners too...just that I'm sure most Rolex owners just and will comtinue to have just one IMO.
Dylan Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2010, 01:24 AM   #4
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Wade View Post
Interesting opinion for sure but I actually know a lot of single Rolex/watch owners who picked out the EXP II as their 1st choice and the comparitively minor savings vs say a Sub or GMT etc was simply a bonus not a factor. At the same time I agree that the EXP (more so the white dial) fills the niche you mention for multiple Rolex/watch owners too...just that I'm sure most Rolex owners just and will comtinue to have just one IMO.
Well said.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2010, 11:45 PM   #5
Dylan Wade

Simply no regrets

After 1 month of owning the Noir EXP II by way of trading my DSSD there are still no regrets.

I do miss the DSSD at times but not enough to form any remorse as the black EXP II is growing stronger on me day by day...I did however think that owning both color dials would solve the age long struggle of black or white dial EXP II ownership which it did.... but now its a question of which one to wear

So far the black EXP II has been hogging about 75% of wrist time but that is surely a natural consequence from being the new boy in town.......Here's a shot of the lads and a solo Noir catching some fresh air......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black & White EXP II at home #2.jpg (74.9 KB, 968 views)
File Type: jpg Black EXP II at Home.jpg (79.8 KB, 962 views)
Old 30 June 2010, 12:08 AM   #6
alpinab7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 2
You lucky, lucky boy....
alpinab7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2010, 02:54 AM   #7
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
After 1 month of owning the Noir EXP II by way of trading my DSSD there are still no regrets.

I do miss the DSSD at times but not enough to form any remorse as the black EXP II is growing stronger on me day by day...I did however think that owning both color dials would solve the age long struggle of black or white dial EXP II ownership which it did.... but now its a question of which one to wear

So far the black EXP II has been hogging about 75% of wrist time but that is surely a natural consequence from being the new boy in town.......Here's a shot of the lads and a solo Noir catching some fresh air......
Fantastic!
2th Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2010, 03:44 AM   #8
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Quote:

I like that you have the 24h hand on a different time zone.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2010, 12:18 PM   #9
Dylan Wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ View Post
I like that you have the 24h hand on a different time zone.
Thanks David, they are both tracking UK time (home), as I don't pass many time zones when travelling in South East Asia
Old 1 September 2010, 06:13 PM   #10
Changmaisausage
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller
Quote:
I bought mine last week (white face) I love the feel of the watch on my wrist or should that be lack of feel. For me is ticks all of my requirements it has a date unlike my Daytona, it has good lume so I can read it easily at night in bed, it does not have any polished parts unlike my YM and I can wear it with a suit/jeans and when travelling overseas as it does not leap out shouting ROLEX ROLEX unlike my DJII I bought recently.

I think you can safely say I will be keeping this one......
Old 29 July 2019, 01:06 AM   #11
bosshog104
Banned

Watch: Pam 111
Quote:

Just going back and reading, there seems to be a lot of truth in this thinking. I just don't see someone celebrating a milestone...new to a Rolex, walking into an AD with all the shiny, blingy, and awesome sports models, and settling on the explorer ii. (Not like you can even find sports currently to view)

Its my opinion it is gorgeous in its own way, but hard to see it in that environment. Those familiar with the brand and looking for the most utilitarian, and arguably the most comfortable daily wear, with the convenience of dual time, see the diamond in the ruff it is.

It's a smart buy, and it's hidden potential overt time is spine tingling. I feel the same way about my Tudor northflag by the way.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
bosshog104 is offline   Reply With Quote