The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 July 2010, 04:21 PM   #1
wrxsti
"TRF" Member

Hairline scratches on my dssd crystal

I have already 2 hairline scratches on my 2 week old deepsea crystal! They are each about 1.5 cm long. I have owned a coke gmt door 2 years and a gmt IIc with no marks on those crystals.

I thought the deepsea was nearly bulletproof at this rate i would hate to see what happens in one year! Anyone know how much a new deepsea crystal costs?

Andy
Old 1 July 2010, 04:26 PM   #2
ral

Sorry no idea on cost of a new crystal. It is awfully difficult to scratch sapphire crystal. Maybe the dome shape has something to do with it?
ral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Watch Fan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Sorry to hear about the scratches. There is a product that is supposed to work well for removing scratches from crystals. I think it is called "polly watch". I think Otto Frei carries it, check it out. I have not used it myself, but have read several posts from others who have and liked it. Maybe worth a try.
Watch Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
IMO the DSSD thickness would take a bit of getting used to and this could cause a problem with proximity issues.
The polywatch works well on plastic crystals I'm not sure how good it is on sapphire.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2010, 04:48 PM   #5
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
The sapphire should be very very hard to scratch. I bumped my sapphire glass watches on almost anything.. it should only get scratched by other sapphire glass or diamonds as far as I know..

As for the crystal replacement, you should take it to RSC and ask them, meanwhile you can also complain regarding your crystal's situation.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2010, 04:51 PM   #6
wrxsti
"TRF" Member

Maybe it was my fiances engagement ring, that's it she's gotta go!
Old 1 July 2010, 05:41 PM   #7
malaplace
"TRF" Member

Have you tried thoroughly cleaning it to make sure they are in fact scratches? It should be nearly impossible to scratch. My 8 year old Swiss Army has been beaten to hell all around the world, yet the sapphire crystal remains flawless. Unless, of course, it has crossed paths with your SO's engagement ring.....

BTW, I have a week old Deepsea as well. No scratches so far, and I don't expect any...
malaplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2010, 07:56 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsti View Post
I have already 2 hairline scratches on my 2 week old deepsea crystal! They are each about 1.5 cm long. I have owned a coke gmt door 2 years and a gmt IIc with no marks on those crystals.

I thought the deepsea was nearly bulletproof at this rate i would hate to see what happens in one year! Anyone know how much a new deepsea crystal costs?

Andy
First make sure they are scratches would have thought the DSSD crystal to be quite expencive.Well truth be told now with modern abrasives yes you can remove scratches from sapphire crystals.And believe it or not they do scratch,you will need some good quality diamond paste. I have used 3 micron to remove the main scratch going across the scratch first,it takes a fair bit of elbow grease.Just a tiny bit on a lint free cotton clean cloth,then just a fine polish after with the quarter micron,and scratch will be gone,and good as new. Cost for the two tubes in the UK around £15-£20 expect far cheaper out of the UK.And far cheaper than a new crystal takes a bit of time,if scratch is very deep or badly chipped then crystal should be replaced.
Important to get the two tubes 3 micron to start and quarter micron to fine polish as new.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2010, 08:38 PM   #9
ral

@padi

They scratch? I have a old TAG (1996) and old Rolex (1994 or 1995)... scratches everywhere, the TAG even has a dent on the bezel and the crystal has never been replaced. AFAIK the Rolex crystal has not been replaced. The crystals on both watches are perfect.
Old 1 July 2010, 10:47 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ral View Post
@padi

They scratch? I have a old TAG (1996) and old Rolex (1994 or 1995)... scratches everywhere, the TAG even has a dent on the bezel and the crystal has never been replaced. AFAIK the Rolex crystal has not been replaced. The crystals on both watches are perfect.
Don't doubt it but anything harder that the crystal will mark or scratch it thats common sense.My SD took a hell of a pasting while working as a diving instructor same for my Citizen both crystals are unmarked.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 1 July 2010, 11:29 PM   #11
rolexsubdate
Banned

I have a 13yr old sub that I have banged around quite a bit ... not a single scratch that I can see ... looks as good as new....
rolexsubdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2010, 11:32 PM   #12
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
IMO the DSSD thickness would take a bit of getting used to and this could cause a problem with proximity issues.
The polywatch works well on plastic crystals I'm not sure how good it is on sapphire.
Exactly what I was thinking. The thing is twice as thick as the classic GMT's, it bound to bump into things.
Old 2 July 2010, 12:56 AM   #13
chris russell
Banned

Watch: your mouth.
Polywatch is for plastic crystals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Fan View Post
There is a product that is supposed to work well for removing scratches from crystals. I think it is called "polly watch".
The only thing that might polish scratches out of a sapphire crystal would be a mechanical polish with diamond polishing compound. It's likely that would be more costly than the replacement crystal.
chris russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2010, 01:00 AM   #14
chris russell
Banned

Watch: your mouth.
Does anyone know for sure if the DS crystal has an AR coating on the outside?

I was speculating that, since it's domed, maybe they treat it differently from the flat crystals. I'm almost sure the new flat crystals have AR coating on the inside only, other than the cyclops.
chris russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2010, 01:10 AM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris russell View Post
The only thing that might polish scratches out of a sapphire crystal would be a mechanical polish with diamond polishing compound. It's likely that would be more costly than the replacement crystal.
Not true have done it on quite a few watches myself although the paste is quite expensive in the UK around £15-£20 for two tubes cheaper outside UK.All it needs is a bit of elbow grease even quite deep scratches can easily be removed and far cheaper than crystal replacement.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 2 July 2010, 02:13 AM   #16
ral

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Don't doubt it but anything harder that the crystal will mark or scratch it thats common sense.My SD took a hell of a pasting while working as a diving instructor same for my Citizen both crystals are unmarked.
Thanks Padi.
Old 2 July 2010, 03:48 AM   #17
MagedMS
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER 114060
Crystal scratches !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexsubdate View Post
I have a 13yr old sub that I have banged around quite a bit ... not a single scratch that I can see ... looks as good as new....
X2..I used to have a 14 yrs old 16610 [w] Sub..not a single scratch too!!
I believe a sapphire crystal is made of a very hard materials that's why it is diamond polished in the factory..

..Here is a very informative article about how a sapphire crystal is made:
http://www.watchtime.at/archive/wt_2...e_crystals.pdf
ROLEX DAYTONA-116503 BLABR
ROLEX MILLGAUSS-116400 GV
MagedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2010, 03:52 AM   #18
tgoose1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Diamond rings will do that every time.
tgoose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2010, 04:03 AM   #19
wrxsti
"TRF" Member

I have cleaned it a few times and yes the scratches are still there
Old 2 July 2010, 04:22 AM   #20
psv
"TRF" Member

Excuse me for asking, but did you buy it at an AD? I used my DSSD all over the place and I never manage to scratch the crystal (bezel yes). Are you 1000% sure it is not a fugazi?
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2010, 05:32 AM   #21
α-ψ!
"TRF" Member

Watch: daytona tt
sorry but i think that saphire doesnt scratch!!only breaks.am i wrong??
α-ψ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2010, 11:24 AM   #22
kkroyal

Watch: DSSD
I have a 20 year old Omega Seamaster and was in a car accident with it on scratched the watch all over except for the crystal… unbelievably tough.

KK
kkroyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2010, 12:06 PM   #23
sirjohnbrian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 'chu lookin' at???
I haven't had a scratch on my DSSD after a year and a half of diving. Then again, maybe I just cursed myself...

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true." Homer Simpson

SS Midsize DJ 68274 "L"
TT Jubilee DJ 116233 "Z"
Sea Dweller DS 116660 "V"
SS White Dial Daytona "V"
sirjohnbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2010, 12:17 PM   #24
DS_Obsessed
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660 V
Pics? I'd love to see it documented. No scratches on my DS, but a cautionary tale will sure have me minding my wrist.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”
DS_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote