The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 26 July 2010, 05:23 AM   #1
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
It's not just about fountain pens...

The warm patina, scent, and feel of daily handled leather by spit dampened fingers. The delight inducing flow of charming ink onto fine papyrus from a splendidly crafted broad italic nib. The contentment of watching a journal take on girth and the gathered, almost corrugated characteristics that occur to it with age and use. The mysterious fondness felt when we see line variations and "that" lovely shading. The savor of all these things, and many more, combined.

When others see us delighting in our eccentric bliss they can but blink. Much the same as asking them to solve: if 3 x 3 = y then what does y smell like? Methinks there must be a variable within a person's core equation that unlocks this inkily lubricated gate to the rarely trodden garden of such enchantments.

There is nothing profound about these things. But that which draws us here from within, speaks of our soul.

To me it's the way that a vintage fountain pen can transport me to a time in which I never lived. That thoughts can bleed onto the pages of a journal and somehow the abrasions lose their tenderness. That words become spirits that carry with them the piercing essence of that which is written or spoken. It's how sitting with pen, coffee, and journal at a outdoor cafe on a cool morning will define where and what life should be.

What is the "variable" that has caused you to be one of us?
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2010, 07:48 AM   #2
MoonDogJerry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tower, All Along
I too enjoy taking a pen from the 1930’s that someone pretty much had to use if they wanted something permanent that they wrote. It is all that much better when I take a pen that does write and bring back to life by replacing the ink sac, re-shaping the nib, etc.

The effortless writing, with very little pressure, makes writing a joy. I have been into calligraphy since my early 20’s in the mid seventies (that is the last century). I used to address all my Christmas cards using calligraphy and fell out of it when the computer age evolved (I write software for a living). It was so easy to print out labels. I have five sets of Schaeffer, Parker, Speedball and Manuscript. I have got back into using my pens for any cards I send.

A few years ago I decided I wanted to start using fountain pens on a daily basis and started buying them mostly on ebay. And have continued from there.

This forum has just fueled my passion and I thank all that contribute.
Old 27 July 2010, 12:17 AM   #3
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
I have always enjoyed using pens and mechanical pencils from an early age because my Dad always had them around. My Dad was a structural and construction engineer and always had drafting supplies and pens in his office at home. I learned how to draft from my Dad and I always liked using his fountain pens. Through the years I got away from using FP's(couldn't use them in school) and rediscovered them again toward the end of last year. Now all I use are fountain pens and have even started collecting them and using different colors of ink. I really enjoy how effortlessly the ink glides across the paper when using a fountain pen and am now getting into the different types of nibs and how they make a difference in the written words placed on paper!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2010, 03:19 AM   #4
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
I don't own any vintage pens yet, but for me the joy of using a fountain pen comes in the the visceral joy I get from using one on fine paper. I've always loved writing, but doing it with an FP and a good journal is very rewarding and satisfying, and a great way to get my thoughts down on paper. It's not as easy as using a word processor, but I enjoy it more.

That and the pens themselves are the ultimate in writing devices and have spoiled me for anything else. And with all the wonderful colors of ink to choose from, it never gets boring.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2010, 02:34 AM   #5
nickriebe
"TRF" Member

Watch: out for pirates!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
The warm patina, scent, and feel of daily handled leather by spit dampened fingers. The delight inducing flow of charming ink onto fine papyrus from a splendidly crafted broad italic nib. The contentment of watching a journal take on girth and the gathered, almost corrugated characteristics that occur to it with age and use. The mysterious fondness felt when we see line variations and "that" lovely shading. The savor of all these things, and many more, combined.

When others see us delighting in our eccentric bliss they can but blink. Much the same as asking them to solve: if 3 x 3 = y then what does y smell like? Methinks there must be a variable within a person's core equation that unlocks this inkily lubricated gate to the rarely trodden garden of such enchantments.

There is nothing profound about these things. But that which draws us here from within, speaks of our soul.

To me it's the way that a vintage fountain pen can transport me to a time in which I never lived. That thoughts can bleed onto the pages of a journal and somehow the abrasions lose their tenderness. That words become spirits that carry with them the piercing essence of that which is written or spoken. It's how sitting with pen, coffee, and journal at a outdoor cafe on a cool morning will define where and what life should be.

What is the "variable" that has caused you to be one of us?
Thats very deep... I love the way you put all that into words for us. Im just now getting into FP's and I think for me its as you said about "transport me to a time in which I never lived." I get this feeling from any FP! I love the forum and look foward to learning all about FP's as well as continuing to grow my collection.

~Nick Riebe~
nickriebe is offline   Reply With Quote