The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 1 October 2010, 10:51 AM   #1
akshay
Banned

Where do vintage Rolex sellers find the watches?

I know a bunch of them who have like 10-15 new ones every week, I sometimes wonder where they find them? Maybe I'd get better prices if I cut out the middleman.
akshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2010, 11:11 AM   #2
Poohsan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
I wish i knew.... but I just dont have the time or money.... if I did find out.
Old 1 October 2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, Pam320
I think they have jewelry stores or have name recognition where people know where to go sell an old Rolex.

They will NEVER tell you the secret. If they did, there would be 10 times as many people buying up these jewels and by default, driving the prices up.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin
Prick #8
Pep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2010, 11:20 AM   #4
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
I see it as the veteran sellers doing us a service.

There's no way I would be able to spot small inconsistencies better than say, Jacek or Steve Mulholland. I'd gladly pay the middleman premium if it means I'm getting a watch that's been through their discerning eyes.

Just my
T 16600 SD
D 16610 LV

"fine quality is remembered long after the pain of spending money" -Steve Mulholland
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2010, 11:25 AM   #5
akshay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuraba View Post

There's no way I would be able to spot small inconsistencies better than say, Jacek or Steve Mulholland. I'd gladly pay the middleman premium if it means I'm getting a watch that's been through their discerning eyes.

Just my
Good point. Good point.
akshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2010, 11:31 AM   #6
Michael M.
Banned

Most dealers buy through wholesale contacts, I am very good friends with one. For instance, my wholesale contact sold an authentic 5514 comex to a dealer for 15k.
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2010, 11:32 AM   #7
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay View Post
Good point. Good point.
Thank you, kabayan!
T 16600 SD
D 16610 LV

"fine quality is remembered long after the pain of spending money" -Steve Mulholland
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2010, 11:33 AM   #8
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
They typically have relationships with ADs, independent jewelers and even pawn shops to get their stock.

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2010, 11:49 PM   #9
Yazo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuraba View Post

Just my
Spot on Jib!
Yazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2010, 11:58 PM   #10
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
They have a relationship with anybody who has *traffic* of watches. Estates,Lawyers,Pawn shops,watch battery repair places,AD's etc etc and the list goes on and on. Most important they are known to pay more than others with no BS involved as they will get the call 1st.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2010, 12:04 AM   #11
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
There are certainly different levels of vintage sellers, and most usually deal in more than just Rolex. There are the sellers that travel around the world that buy the primo pieces, and usually have a client list that they can flip that special piece to within a couple of days/weeks. There are also the guys who buy used from Rolex AD's when an AD takes a pre-owned Rolex in on trade, these guys do the least amount of work and often have gems fall in their lap! Finally there are the guys who are actively searching the area for vintage pieces.
Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2010, 10:08 AM   #12
Jacek
2024 Pledge Member

Basically I work 10-12 hours a day online, on the phone and devote my life to searching for watches. I'm on the Ipad before I go to sleep and wake up each morning to the iphone responding to emails and searching. Sometimes I get stuff for great prices but most of the time I am competing with many many dealers and have to pay up for my pieces. I make 5% -10% in this ultra competitive market. I also travel to shows, I go to shops, estate sales, etc. I also travel to Europe, Japan, Australia, Hong Kong etc. Don't get me wrong it's fun, but also pretty stressful and competitive. I love getting you guys the best pieces I can find for great prices.
Jacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2010, 01:04 PM   #13
Frogman4me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacek View Post
Basically I work 10-12 hours a day online, on the phone and devote my life to searching for watches. I'm on the Ipad before I go to sleep and wake up each morning to the iphone responding to emails and searching. Sometimes I get stuff for great prices but most of the time I am competing with many many dealers and have to pay up for my pieces. I make 5% -10% in this ultra competitive market. I also travel to shows, I go to shops, estate sales, etc. I also travel to Europe, Japan, Australia, Hong Kong etc. Don't get me wrong it's fun, but also pretty stressful and competitive. I love getting you guys the best pieces I can find for great prices.

Thank you for sharing
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2010, 11:33 PM   #14
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
A dealer who has done his homework is the retail customers best source. Most have learned by spending lots of $$ to get where they are. Jacek, Steve and others spend all their time on this as it's thier business. But sometimes luck comes the observant ones way :-)
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2010, 12:19 AM   #15
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacek View Post
Thanks letting peek into the life of a vintage dealer.