The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 December 2010, 10:17 PM   #1
mluther
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
Major Dilemma - need some input

Hi Everyone,

just joined and this is my first post on the forum.

I have the following dilemma that I would like some input on.

I am due to take delivery of a few things next year:

1) A black face SS daytona
2) Fingers crossed - a healthy baby

Having seen the new Sub 116610, I must admit to being very taken by the way it looks and more importantly, the way it makes me feel. I'm now in two minds over the Daytona (have waited a while) and am seriously contemplating a sub instead. I can only have one (both would be great), so what's to be done.

I don't currently own a Rolex - this will be my first...
mluther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2010, 10:23 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mluther View Post
Hi Everyone,

just joined and this is my first post on the forum.

I have the following dilemma that I would like some input on.

I am due to take delivery of a few things next year:

1) A black face SS daytona
2) Fingers crossed - a healthy baby

Having seen the new Sub 116610, I must admit to being very taken by the way it looks and more importantly, the way it makes me feel. I'm now in two minds over the Daytona (have waited a while) and am seriously contemplating a sub instead. I can only have one (both would be great), so what's to be done.

I don't currently own a Rolex - this will be my first...
Quite simple just buy the watch you want to wear its the one that smiles back the most while on your wrist..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2010, 10:24 PM   #3
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Ditto on what Padi said. Have you compared the two side by side? If not try them on when your Daytona comes in and then decide unless you are sure that you want the sub more.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2010, 10:24 PM   #4
Tunacan26
Banned

Watch: Hulk, DJ, Bluesy
Maybe wait until one month after your baby is born to decide....
Tunacan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2010, 12:10 AM   #5
Howie
"TRF" Member

Quite honestly, I think you will ultimately end up with both.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2010, 12:19 AM   #6
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Both are quintessentially Rolex and classics in their own right. There really is no right or wrong in a choice such as this - if you opt for the Daytona you'll be buying one of the most coveted Rolexes while if you go for the new Sub you'll be getting the latest version of one of the world's most popular watches. Good luck!
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2010, 12:32 AM   #7
josh6262

Watch: Rolex Daytona 6262
The Daytona is the pinnacle of the Rolex watch line in so many ways. It's a sophisticated collectible that looks as good as it's desirability. The Sub is just a step down, although quite rare in the newest version and possibly the next "hardest to find" Rolex on the market.
Personally I love the Daytona and all it represents. Nothing is wrong with the Sub, unless you compare it to the Daytona.
Whatever you choose will be the right choice because it's for you and not anyone else. Either way, best of luck with your new baby and may he/she be healthy!
josh6262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2010, 12:57 AM   #8
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Quite simple just buy the watch you want to wear its the one that smiles back the most while on your wrist..
Best advice you will ever get.
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2010, 01:04 AM   #9
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Best advice you will ever get.
I agree with the above, you have to buy what you like. You said the sub makes you feel a certain way when you put it on...then go with that, I love my subs!!! I had a black face Daytona and flipped it, it just wasnt for me...

As another said, you will have both it is just a matter of time And by the way congrats on the baby, do you know if your having a boy or girl?

Adam
Old 30 December 2010, 01:27 AM   #10
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
I really like the Daytona and may finally buy a used one, this spring. However, if I was only going to have one Rolex, it would probably not be the Daytona. It's expensive to buy and expensive to service, relative to the other models. To me, it also isn't the iconic Rolex. "Iconic" would be a Sub, GMT, or DJ.

If you like the new Sub or the older versions, you can't go wrong.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2010, 01:44 AM   #11
BB83

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6262 View Post
The Daytona is the pinnacle of the Rolex watch line in so many ways. It's a sophisticated collectible that looks as good as it's desirability. The Sub is just a step down, although quite rare in the newest version and possibly the next "hardest to find" Rolex on the market.
Personally I love the Daytona and all it represents. Nothing is wrong with the Sub, unless you compare it to the Daytona.
Whatever you choose will be the right choice because it's for you and not anyone else. Either way, best of luck with your new baby and may he/she be healthy!
Well said!
BB83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2010, 01:48 AM   #12
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
What PADI said. Welcome to TRF mluther. I lived in Brussels for a few years as a kid. Beautiful city and Belgium is a great country.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2010, 01:53 AM   #13
psv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't agree with that statement. The Daytona was not a popular watch for many years and there is a reason why the quantities are much smaller than for the other models (just like the Sea-Dweller was originally never that popular). While is a very prestigious watch to own I wouldn't call call it "the pinnacle" per se, perhaps the new 4130 movement is one of the nicer movements coming out of Rolex.

Personally I MUCH prefer a Submariner over a Daytona with its cleaner and more powerful interface. The 3135 movement, while not elegant, it truly a tested and tried workhorse and the new maxi hands/hour plots with the new lume offers great legibility in a sturdy package.

At the end, goes with what sings to you, consider yourself lucky to have these two options, there is no wrong answer.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2010, 02:25 AM   #14
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
Really? How often do you compare say a pick up truck and a van? Totally different vehicle for different purposes, same goes for watches.

I'd understand where you are coming from if you were comparing YM and YMII.

"The Sub is a step down from Daytona" - wow, now I have heard everything......
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2010, 03:00 AM   #15
ersnyder
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
Quite honestly, I think you will ultimately end up with both.
Yep, you're doomed! No escaping the lure at this point!! Get the Sub and save up/wait for the Daytona; they are regularly available on TRF "For Sale" section from trusted resellers. Welcome to TRF and congratulations on the new baby!!
ersnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2010, 03:00 AM   #16
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Tough call on the watch. For me, Daytona, since I own Subs and an SD already.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2010, 07:53 PM   #17
mluther
"TRF" Member

You guys are incredibly responsive. Many thanks for all the advice. Very much appreciated.

It's clear that both watches are iconic and I know I'm doomed already as I do love both of them. I can't really explain why, but I'm drawn to the sub, so will probably go that way....

Many thanks for all your kind words re our baby - still in the first trimester so a while to go yet.

Great Forum :-D
Old 30 December 2010, 07:57 PM   #18
mluther
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What PADI said. Welcome to TRF mluther. I lived in Brussels for a few years as a kid. Beautiful city and Belgium is a great country.
Brussels really is a gem of a city to live in