The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 12 January 2011, 03:53 PM   #1
neophyte
"TRF" Member

Bad experience at Mayor's Jewelers

I want to let folks know of a bad experience at an AD (Mayors Jewelers in Atlanta). I bought a "new" Rolex SS Datejust watch in November 2010 from them. When I bought the watch, I had no reason to believe it was anything but new. I had looked at used Rolexes at the store, and didn't buy used. The salesperson knew fully well I wanted a "new" watch.

A month later when I received the warranty papers by mail, I found out the watch has an M serial number. Along with the clasp code, it points to a 2008 manufacturing date. I was shocked. It totally evaporated the euphoria and thrill of owning a Rolex, something I had looked forward to for years and years. Everything I read on this forum and other Rolex aficionado sites and Ebay listings corroborates the 2008 date. I hate taking a two and a half year depreciation hit the moment I buy a watch. Now I'm not even sure it's brand new.

I asked the AD to exchange the watch (first choice) or refund my money. They won't talk to me any more. Going to take them to court - may be throwing "good money after bad", but this is the only catharisis for me.
neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2011, 04:08 PM   #2
snowbird
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
If you got the warranty in your name from Mayor's, then it's brand new in the eyes of Mayor's and Rolex. You wouldn't get the warranty in your name on a used watch.

Anyway those serial number charts are just approximations, M overlapped with both Z and V depending on model. There are quite a few M serials in ADs right now, also some Z serials and probably further back too.

So my thought is just enjoy the watch.
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2011, 10:31 PM   #3
lordcon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600 SD_Z serial
You need to relax and get properly educated before you start taking people to court.

Your watch probably was new when you bought it. M serial number watches are not uncommon at all to be sitting in dealer inventories. If the warranty card was not filled out at the time you purchased the watch - it IS for all intensive purposes brand new. Case and point, my current sea-dweller was bought directly from a AD last year. Its a Z4 serial which is old enough to still have the paper warranty. All the stickers were intact on the watch, never been worn. Ive seen D serial watches still under AD showcases. Rolex warranties start on the date of purchase from an AD regardless of the manufacturing date of the watch.

-j
lordcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2011, 10:36 PM   #4
train-time
"TRF" Member

The watch you bought was a new watch!
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2011, 10:40 PM   #5
EvEr34
"TRF" Member

It's a new watch....wear it....enjoy it....stop fretting over this.
EvEr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2011, 10:54 PM   #6
lordcon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600 SD_Z serial
Quote:
Originally Posted by train-time View Post
The watch you bought was a new watch!
BTW Tim, my SD hasn't left my wrist since i picked it up from you.
lordcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2011, 11:25 PM   #7
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
YUP, that'sthe way it is. It is new, never been sold before and still has the 2 year warranty from date of purchase. New.
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2011, 11:37 PM   #8
tfduff723
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega 4 Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
If you got the warranty in your name from Mayor's, then it's brand new in the eyes of Mayor's and Rolex. You wouldn't get the warranty in your name on a used watch.

Anyway those serial number charts are just approximations, M overlapped with both Z and V depending on model. There are quite a few M serials in ADs right now, also some Z serials and probably further back too.

So my thought is just enjoy the watch.
Your watch is new. As noted above and by others there typically is a fair amount of overlap with serial numbers. When I bought my wife her DJ it was a V serial year but the watch was a M serial. Brand new, no difference, warranty correct, etc... I wouldn't worry any more about it and try to enjoy your great new watch.

BTW - the warranty you reference receiving in the mail was the Mayor's one... correct? The Rolex one should have been presented at time of purchase. If you received a proper Rolex warranty then the watch is brand new and you are the 1st owner.
tfduff723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2011, 11:39 PM   #9
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...

That stupid date code.... If the watch was previously UNSOLD, it is a new watch. Besides, did you look at the serial at '6'? The tag that was attached to the watch? Why in the world would you not have asked the dealer what serial it was when you bought it if it concerned you that much? Please chill and enjoy your watch. And if you do take them to court, please don't post about it here, as you won't get any sympathy.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2011, 11:51 PM   #10
TRW
Banned

Watch: 16623 YM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post

That stupid date code.... If the watch was previously UNSOLD, it is a new watch. Besides, did you look at the serial at '6'? The tag that was attached to the watch? Why in the world would you not have asked the dealer what serial it was when you bought it if it concerned you that much? Please chill and enjoy your watch. And if you do take them to court, please don't post about it here, as you won't get any sympathy.
I Happen to Agree
TRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2011, 02:12 AM   #11
neophyte
"TRF" Member

a) I'm not posting for sympathy / pity - factually sharing my experience with others, for whatever it's worth

b) The Rolex warranty was mailed to me one month after purchase. Had the warranty been given at time of purchase, I would have returned the watch then and there, and it would have been painless for everyone.
neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2011, 02:24 AM   #12
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
a) I'm not posting for sympathy / pity - factually sharing my experience with others, for whatever it's worth

b) The Rolex warranty was mailed to me one month after purchase. Had the warranty been given at time of purchase, I would have returned the watch then and there, and it would have been painless for everyone.
That's how Mayors do business and it sucks.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2011, 02:29 AM   #13
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:

But if the mere letter is so important to you, why would you not inquire at the time of sale? Also, all M's (except the SD) have engraved rehaut. It is just a matter of looking at '6' to see what the serial number is! As far as being 'painless' - the only thing you're hurting is your credibility. You shouldn't drag others' names through mud because of something you could have prevented. I have a V-serial with warranty dated late 2008. So by your logic, my watch is newer than yours?

On a sidenote - boy, am I glad that Rolex is done with the 'dating' of their watches. Hopefully in the near future it will help avoid this sort of pointless bull

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Old 13 January 2011, 02:47 AM   #14
Rona
"TRF" Member

Similar to buying a car, I would do more research on the model watch that I want to buy and happy with it.
This TRF is great resource. I had learn a lot about the Rolex in the very short time. It's totally different experience from the Omega. Hope some day I can afford a Rolex Submarine, addition to my Omega...of course with the approval of my CFO.
Rona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2011, 04:29 AM   #15
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Date Justs are slow sellers. It's possible that an M stamped case and an older (but still new style) clasp was used to build this watch....and possibly build it more recently than 2008. IMO, You will be throwing away money on a lawyer.
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2011, 04:43 AM   #16
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
It is the same (at least in Europe) for cars. New until registered, not depending on production date.
Old 13 January 2011, 10:51 AM   #17
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
You have a brand new watch. Better check your clasp code too as it may be newer or older than your case. And your movement may be newer than one in a V cased watch. This is not an automoblile regulated by the federal government to have a VIN indicating the model year. These codes are no more than an approximation of when the case was manufactured. I say approximation because Rolex has never published a guide and actually have used up to three letters at any given time. You will definitely be throwing more good money after the good money you've already spent if you try to sue. I've had very good experiences with the Mayor's in Atlanta and want to go on record with that. You are doing them a disservice with your accusations and thread title.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2011, 01:12 PM   #18
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
You got a brand new watch.

In the last month I bought two new watches from different ADs, both with V serials. One had a clasp code of EO (2007) and the other with LT (2009).

As stated above, they're just rough guidelines for when the components were produced.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2011, 01:28 PM   #19
RFXMM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Last year I bought my wife a new K. Yep brand new 10 years old.
Old 16 January 2011, 04:18 AM   #20
Aventura
"TRF" Member

I am in your side

Quote:
I want to let folks know of a bad experience at an AD (Mayors Jewelers in Atlanta). I bought a "new" Rolex SS Datejust watch in November 2010 from them. When I bought the watch, I had no reason to believe it was anything but new. I had looked at used Rolexes at the store, and didn't buy used. The salesperson knew fully well I wanted a "new" watch.

A month later when I received the warranty papers by mail, I found out the watch has an M serial number. Along with the clasp code, it points to a 2008 manufacturing date. I was shocked. It totally evaporated the euphoria and thrill of owning a Rolex, something I had looked forward to for years and years. Everything I read on this forum and other Rolex aficionado sites and Ebay listings corroborates the 2008 date. I hate taking a two and a half year depreciation hit the moment I buy a watch. Now I'm not even sure it's brand new.
I asked the AD to exchange the watch (first choice) or refund my money. They won't talk to me any more. Going to take them to court - may be throwing "good money after bad", but this is the only catharisis for me.
Your complaint came several days ago, I was watching the comments and I was on your side because you thought you are true.Anyway I made no comment at this time and would do it now because I also could get very little in AD a Rolex 16610 and really do not buy it because it was V series and I wanted to be last model.
To all the people who disagreed with you would answer that if I should not complain because they are 2008 models because on ebay and several sites on Internet offer the same watch new, unused, and newer series such as G and even with the new Random. They possess and offer the old AD. Very suspicious, no? Let everyone draw their own conclusions
Aventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2011, 06:14 AM   #21
Kanger
Banned

Watch: Sea Dweller
I understand your disgust at the situation, it is very understandable. However, I think you should just cherish this watch, it's new man, and just happened to sit inside a case for two years that's all.
Kanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2011, 06:32 AM   #22
EvEr34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventura View Post
Your complaint came several days ago, I was watching the comments and I was on your side because you thought you are true.Anyway I made no comment at this time and would do it now because I also could get very little in AD a Rolex 16610 and really do not buy it because it was V series and I wanted to be last model.
To all the people who disagreed with you would answer that if I should not complain because they are 2008 models because on ebay and several sites on Internet offer the same watch new, unused, and newer series such as G and even with the new Random. They possess and offer the old AD. Very suspicious, no? Let everyone draw their own conclusions
Not quite sure what you are trying to say. Either way as mentioned numerous times a new watch is a new watch. Also, from what I understand rolex implemented these new random serial numbers to avoid this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EvEr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2011, 07:39 AM   #23
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvEr34 View Post
Not quite sure what you are trying to say. Either way as mentioned numerous times a new watch is a new watch. Also, from what I understand rolex implemented these new random serial numbers to avoid this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I got a headache reading that post too... maybe not his 1st language?

Old 16 January 2011, 07:54 AM   #24
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
I purchased my Sub-C new from the Mayors in Atlanta. They mailed my card to me a month later.

Just because it's been sitting in the case, or a safe for several years doesn't mean it's used.

Your the first owner, and need to chill.

Take them to court, and have them show you the signature at the bottom of the agreement. You'll only make yourself look silly while wearing the Rolex.
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2011, 08:06 AM   #25
train-time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
Yeah, I got a headache reading that post too... maybe not his 1st language?
Greg, I'm taking an Advil and posting in this thread one more time!

To the OP: There is often little you can do to control the serial of the new watch an AD has in their case -- they are all new. A local AD that does a fairly large volume of Rolex sales received a SS GMTIIc (116710LN) from RUSA a month ago that was a Z serial. At the same time they ordered a new DJ from RUSA for a customer (which they did not have in stock) and received a D serial -- imagine that!!

They also have a brand new SD (16600) in the case and it's a Y serial -- no lug holes either (late Y).
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2011, 08:22 AM   #26
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by train-time View Post
Greg, I'm taking an Advil and posting in this thread one more time!
I'm going to need something a bit stronger

Old 16 January 2011, 08:55 AM   #27
scrog10
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 2c
Would a z or random serial Datejust be worth more on the used market than an M serial ?
Old 16 January 2011, 09:10 AM   #28
RolexPete32
"TRF" Member

Watch: You know... Rolex
I bought a Z air-king in 2007 and a sub lv M in 2008. I have seen watches much older sitting around some date-justs and air-kings at my AD. It seems common for some of the stock to sit for a very long time before it sells.
RolexPete32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2011, 09:16 AM   #29
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrog10 View Post
Would a z or random serial Datejust be worth more on the used market than an M serial ?
Z is before M, which is before V, then random. But a Z serial with stickers would undoubtedly be worth more than M without, assuming they're identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexPete32 View Post
I bought a Z air-king in 2007 and a sub lv M in 2008. I have seen watches much older sitting around some date-justs and air-kings at my AD. It seems common for some of the stock to sit for a very long time before it sells.
Exactly.

Old 16 January 2011, 09:31 AM   #30
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
As what others said, if the OP had done his research and inspected the M serial at the rehaut, he could have rejected the watch right away before paying anything.
And since the watch was never sold before, and Rolex provided full 2 year warranty, it is new.
I don't see how the OP can sue and win in court.
The bottom line is that the OP hasn't done his homework in the first place. We can't help it, really.
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote