The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 February 2011, 12:06 AM   #1
Deldog
"TRF" Member

Watch: 36 and under
Visit to AD confirms value of TRF

Stopped by a relatively new AD last night to see some watches in the metal and was disappointed to discover what little information was available from the salespeople.

Confirmed for me how valuable this forum is and made me feel a little less bad for trying watches on there with the intent to buy elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents. ... Deldog
Deldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 12:08 AM   #2
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Sadly, for the most part, this has been my experience. However, I have found pockets of really excellent ADs with knowledge about their watches.
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 12:21 AM   #3
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
It is also quite sad that many ADs that I have visited have a lesser selection of sports models than I own

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 12:29 AM   #4
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
TRF rules!!!! And we have our own special AD--The Seller's Forum!!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 12:43 AM   #5
Deldog
"TRF" Member

Haha. Nice, Jason1.

Also, my visit last night was the first time I ever saw a Yachtmaster II, either in person or on the computer. Not exactly my style, but wow, it was cool.
Old 13 February 2011, 12:43 AM   #6
Frogman4me
Banned

I agree I am almost always disappointed in the salesperson's knowledge about what they are selling. You would think it would be part of their job to know and not have to look up everything in the book.

It's funny whenever I mention the Internet the first thing they say is, "do not buy online, they are almost all fake". It makes me laugh...
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 12:48 AM   #7
Rolex Freak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
TRF rules!!!! And we have our own special AD--The Seller's Forum!!!
X2.
Rolex Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 12:50 AM   #8
Tunacan26
Banned

Watch: Hulk, DJ, Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan1965 View Post
trf rules!!!! And we have our own special ad--the seller's forum!!!
x3
Tunacan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 01:11 AM   #9
sweetpea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV & 1675
I too wish there were a higher degree of Rolex knowledge within the general AD population, however 2 things come to mind as I have pondered with this:

1) There are some ADs that have Rolex technicians or Subject Matter Experts on staff - these folks are quite dialed into Rolex knowledge. Again though, many ADs don't have the luxury of these folks on staff. This differentiates one AD from the others (and naturally my business goes that direction).

2) In defense of ADs, they generally carry numerous lines of watches (of which employees are expected to have a working knowledge), and also knowledge of general gemology and jewelry lines. It's a tough putt to find a salesperson that will be an expert on everything carried in their stores.

This being said, I agree with the forum. TRF is an invaluable resource to find knowledge and expertise focused within the Rolex brand. Before making sizable purchases, I study/research the product intensely (myself) before counting on a salesperson's knowledge - I'd go nowhere else than TRF for this research on Rolex.
sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 01:16 AM   #10
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
I too wish there were a higher degree of Rolex knowledge within the general AD population, however 2 things come to mind as I have pondered with this:

1) There are some ADs that have Rolex technicians or Subject Matter Experts on staff - these folks are quite dialed into Rolex knowledge. Again though, many ADs don't have the luxury of these folks on staff. This differentiates one AD from the others (and naturally my business goes that direction).

2) In defense of ADs, they generally carry numerous lines of watches (of which employees are expected to have a working knowledge), and also knowledge of general gemology and jewelry lines. It's a tough putt to find a salesperson that will be an expert on everything carried in their stores.

This being said, I agree with the forum. TRF is an invaluable resource to find knowledge and expertise focused within the Rolex brand. Before making sizable purchases, I study/research the product intensely (myself) before counting on a salesperson's knowledge - I'd go nowhere else than TRF for this research on Rolex.
Well said!
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 01:18 AM   #11
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Also remember, that we are WISs, the average Rolex buyer just strolls into an AD and buys what looks pretty to them. You could make a fair argument that the AD salesperson doesn't really need to know the product too well, they just need to understand the customers emotions to sell. I have overheard at the AD counter, customers asking how often will they need to change the battery...

Rest assured, that if the majority of customers suddenly became WISs like us, they'd learn the details fast.

Not that I like this arrangement, but it fairly reflects the conditions they are operating under. They are still there, and still selling watches, so something is working.
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 01:20 AM   #12
ayecarumba
"TRF" Member

Watch: the one I'm wearin
All very good points made so far and agree...

I'll toss in my agreement and add another thought as this subject comes up from time to time (the stories are different e.g. tourneau, etc... but the content is the same: sales staff utterly unknowing the merchandise)....

There was another poster here who compared it to his car dealership. He said he did not look to hire car enthusiasts or people with any kind of passion for automobiles. He interviewed and hired sales staff that loved to make MONEY and SELL. Sigh. I understand that it is a business.

There are exceptions to this for sure. If you find one, recognize it as the rarity it is!

--Paul

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his planets in chime,
Marketh the going of Time." --Edward Fitzgerald
ayecarumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 02:35 AM   #13
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

In the salespeople's defence (and I feel I'm fairly qualified on this subject matter), Rolex provides absolutely no training whatsoever. No real training material, no seminars, nada. The Master Catalogue is as good as useless when it comes to anything beyond dial availability, so what exactly are they supposed to do? If they work at a smaller shop that keeps their staff for a long period of time, they might be able to work with someone who does have in-depth knowledge. But what about at a chain store with a high turnover of staff? They'll just be expected to know the very basics, and 95% of time, that will actually be enough. You can't expect someone who is just, essentially, a journeyman to be an expert.

If you want indepth knowledge, find a more senior member of staff, the manager, or a salesperson who clearly knows what they're talking about. As with anything to do with Rolex, picking the seller is just as important as picking the watch. Strike up a relationship with a good independent AD, and you'll be surprised with the knowledge that many do have.

Just out of interest, OP, was the AD a chain store?
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 02:46 AM   #14
ersnyder
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
I do have to say that we are quite fortunate in the SoCal area to have a number of intelligent sales people, especially at the Rolex Store in South Coast Plaza. Most of the time, they are able to provide accurate info and have plenty of patience with you learning and taking the time to make a decision. It's always a pleasure to stop in and enjoy some conversation with Leila and Mehrdad!
ersnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 02:56 AM   #15
kwimbie
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS OysterQuartz DJ
I just visited an AD yesterday and asked to see the new sub. I found it funny as I had to show her how to work the new submariner clasp. Sad thing it was my first time working the clasp. Unfortunately now the watch is now calling to me in my dreams.....
kwimbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 03:50 AM   #16
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
In the salespeople's defence (and I feel I'm fairly qualified on this subject matter), Rolex provides absolutely no training whatsoever. No real training material, no seminars, nada. The Master Catalogue is as good as useless when it comes to anything beyond dial availability, so what exactly are they supposed to do? If they work at a smaller shop that keeps their staff for a long period of time, they might be able to work with someone who does have in-depth knowledge. But what about at a chain store with a high turnover of staff? They'll just be expected to know the very basics, and 95% of time, that will actually be enough. You can't expect someone who is just, essentially, a journeyman to be an expert.

If you want indepth knowledge, find a more senior member of staff, the manager, or a salesperson who clearly knows what they're talking about. As with anything to do with Rolex, picking the seller is just as important as picking the watch. Strike up a relationship with a good independent AD, and you'll be surprised with the knowledge that many do have.

Just out of interest, OP, was the AD a chain store?
Thanks for the great insight as usual Chris.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 03:55 AM   #17
Kapture1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω 3570.50.00
What I dont understand is how couldn't you want to know everything you can about such a great product... ESp when it is you who is selling it?

That would be one of the best jobs to have just to have experience with watches day in and day out, and getting to meet some other watch nuts.

Wash out this tired notion that the best is yet to come
Kapture1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 04:03 AM   #18
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapture1 View Post
What I dont understand is how couldn't you want to know everything you can about such a great product... ESp when it is you who is selling it?

That would be one of the best jobs to have just to have experience with watches day in and day out, and getting to meet some other watch nuts.
x2

This is especially beneficial if one was going to make a career in selling high end watches.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 04:10 AM   #19
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapture1 View Post

Trust me, I don't understand it either. 95% of my Rolex knowledge has come through my own research, mainly from here - I'm trying to make some training material for my colleagues, but it's finding the time for it.
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 04:26 AM   #20
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Good topic !
Several exclusive brands, in a variety of merchandise categories, rely on an "authorized dealer network" to disseeminate information about the brand, service it, sell it, everything.
In theory this sounds good, delegating the consumer interaction to retail store operators. In reality, this strategy is flawed. For example, retailers often times only have a small inventory selection of the brand for which they are an authorized dealer. Or, the majority of the retailers sales people have little or no knowledge about the brand.
So, in the end, a consumer thirsty for information is left to do the research himself. Some brands do have consumer relations people at company headquarters who can provide information, and some brands have informative web sites. But most often it is internet discussion forums, filled with brand fanboys, that offer the most in depth amount of information.
All that said, if a person is making a living as a salesperson, it benefits him greatly to learn as much about the products he sells as possible.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 06:37 AM   #21
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

I'm sure most of us could school the average AD.
Old 13 February 2011, 06:43 AM   #22
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman4me View Post
I agree I am almost always disappointed in the salesperson's knowledge about what they are selling. You would think it would be part of their job to know and not have to look up everything in the book.

It's funny whenever I mention the Internet the first thing they say is, "do not buy online, they are almost all fake". It makes me laugh...
To some extent good advice for those not easily able to detect look a likes but also a fear tactic so they may make the sale
at a full margin.

Lee
ingoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 07:17 AM   #23
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deldog View Post
Stopped by a relatively new AD last night to see some watches in the metal and was disappointed to discover what little information was available from the salespeople.

Confirmed for me how valuable this forum is and made me feel a little less bad for trying watches on there with the intent to buy elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents. ... Deldog

that's too bad.....i always dislike being disappointed at the AD....

care to share what disappointed you in more detail?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 07:33 AM   #24
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

It is disappointing that many ADs don't know what they are selling.

However, the worst thing is when some of them just outright lie.

I know there are some honest ADs around but many just try to get the sale but don't they realise if I know they are lying, they don't get the sale from me?
RolexWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2011, 05:49 AM   #25
Deldog
"TRF" Member

Hey, guys. OP here.

To answer a couple of questions, I was at a big chain retailer, and to be fair, I overheard a different salesman on the non-Rolex side of the store who was very knowledgeable about multiple brands.

Of course, there are many reasons why the Rolex saleswoman hadn't ever noticed the difference between a triplock and twinlock crown: She could have been new, she could have been on loan from the other side of the store. Heck, that kind of knowledge might not even matter for 95 percent of her sales.

I was just a little surprised that a company that exercises so much control over every facet of R&D, manufacturing and marketing would flub the point of sale.

On a brighter note, I got to see the latest Zenith El Primeros. Wow. Stunning.

Thanks all. ... Deldog
Old 14 February 2011, 06:05 AM   #26
Danand
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
As with any thing there are ADs and then there are ADs. I went into one last summer inquiring about the subc which they didn't have yet. The saleswoman told me the standard clasp would be the old type and the glidelock would be an option. She clearly didn't have a clue. The ad I bought from otoh was extremely knowledgeable and I would characterize as a WIS.
Similarly though with cars I have often found the sales person knew less about the models than I did. Kind of makes it fun when you can teach the salesperson something. I don't know if it makes any difference in the negotiating but usually they at least k ow you've done your research and I find them less likely to try to pulla fast one on you.
Cheers
Danand is offline   Reply With Quote