The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 February 2011, 12:33 AM   #1
phelix_da_kat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520
How much do new models affect the models they are replacing?

Hi All,

Christmas has come and gone, and I have re-started contributing to my watch fund!

I went into the local AD and tried on the Explorer 214270, and it feels strange to have a cleaner looking watch that feels larger than my Daytona.

I love the look of the blackout, but prefer the orginal size.

Therefore I have come back to mull over the purchase of an Explorer I, 14270.

Looking at the prices, the second hand market seems to be holding for the 14270 and the 114270, even with the introduction of the 214270. Yes?

What I have noticed is with the "black out" 214270, the prices of the 14270 series E and X seem to have come back to earth (well apart from ebay lol).

So I was thinking...

1. I cannot think of any working Rolex tool watch that have actually gotten worse (well, there is the camp that say tool watches shouldn't have PCLs) - so do you agree that with the introduction of new models, the older models are easier to pick up?

2. By how much do you think the premium for a 14270 blackout will narrow - with the fact many people prefer the larger 214270?

Thanks for joining in the discussion.
Have a great day.
phelix_da_kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 04:42 AM   #2
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

I'm no expert on this topic, but I have been following the GMT and Sub markets and did not detect prices going down at all on these discontinued models, especially "new old stock".
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 06:18 AM   #3
renfield33
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II Pepsi
i was following the Pepsi GMT II (used) prices from about january through june last year and the prices noticeably went UP.
Old 17 February 2011, 06:26 AM   #4
EchoBlueUK
"TRF" Member

Up Up Up
EchoBlueUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 06:34 AM   #5
Gundam
"TRF" Member

The old Sea Dweller seems to have got a boost since it got a upgrade replacement by the Deep Sea.
Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 09:06 AM   #6
phelix_da_kat
"TRF" Member

Lol looks like I have to save a little faster for that Exp I.
Thanks for the emperical observations.
Old 17 February 2011, 09:13 AM   #7
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by phelix_da_kat View Post

1. I cannot think of any working Rolex tool watch that have actually gotten worse.
im sure there were people wishing the current EXPII had the fat orange orange too....

bring on the 2011 EXPII
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 10:57 AM   #8
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
A couple AD's I spoke to about Explorer 114270 have it in stock and are holding firm on full MSRP because they believe once a Rolex model is discontinued it becomes a "collectors item" and worth extra value.
These same AD's also have the new model, 214270 in stock. My sense is the 214270 they are willing to discount.
From what I can tell neither the 36mm 114270 or 39mm 214270 is a strong seller. If I were an AD I would be inclined to do whatever it takes to move out the 36mm 114270 because I believe having that one in the case confuses the customer. If the case has only the 39mm 214270 I expect that would help the cause of selling the Explorer model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelix_da_kat View Post
Hi All,

Christmas has come and gone, and I have re-started contributing to my watch fund!

I went into the local AD and tried on the Explorer 214270, and it feels strange to have a cleaner looking watch that feels larger than my Daytona.

I love the look of the blackout, but prefer the orginal size.

Therefore I have come back to mull over the purchase of an Explorer I, 14270.

Looking at the prices, the second hand market seems to be holding for the 14270 and the 114270, even with the introduction of the 214270. Yes?

What I have noticed is with the "black out" 214270, the prices of the 14270 series E and X seem to have come back to earth (well apart from ebay lol).

So I was thinking...

1. I cannot think of any working Rolex tool watch that have actually gotten worse (well, there is the camp that say tool watches shouldn't have PCLs) - so do you agree that with the introduction of new models, the older models are easier to pick up?

2. By how much do you think the premium for a 14270 blackout will narrow - with the fact many people prefer the larger 214270?

Thanks for joining in the discussion.
Have a great day.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 11:14 AM   #9
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Not an expert by no means, however it does seem to make their prices go up a bit. I think people somehow believe they now have reached a more desireable status as it will no longer be made any longer.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 11:18 AM   #10
Speed
"TRF" Member

I don't think recently discontinued models are "collectors items" per se...but I do think ADs prey on buyers who think that about mass-produced modern models.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 11:19 AM   #11
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
I don't think recently discontinued models are "collectors items" per se...but I do think ADs prey on buyers who think that about mass-produced modern models.
Oh, I definitetly agree with this statement.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 05:20 PM   #12
Rolex77
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXes, OMEGAs
GMT master 1675 is now expensive (very...)
Rolex77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 06:26 PM   #13
derekloimer

The Hourglass on Collins in Melbourne told me that my Explorer 1 114270 will start to appreciate in value as Rolex is not supplying this watch any more to them.
derekloimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 07:26 PM   #14
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Absolutely spot-on!

Just like to add that it isn't just ADs - I overheard a conversation in a grey dealer between the dealer and a customer the other day that went something like this: "This model has been discontinued by Rolex (it was the GMT II 'Coke') so you better buy now while you still can because collectors are looking for it''..
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 08:02 PM   #15
phelix_da_kat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Oh, I definitetly agree with this statement.
Seconded...
Will take 10-15 year before these become collectors.
Also depends on how many have been sold and how many survive in good condition.
Old 17 February 2011, 08:02 PM   #16
phelix_da_kat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex77 View Post
GMT master 1675 is now expensive (very...)
This is another watch I need to save up for!
Old 17 February 2011, 09:02 PM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Have to agree and most model Rolex have been unchanged since 1988 except for a few minor details.Today IMHO most today just think Rolex watches are some sort of £££$$$$$ ticket.In my days we bought Rolex watches just for the pleasure of owning one of the finest watches on the planet.And knowing it that watch purchase with just a bit of service that watch would last a life time and beyond.Owning Rolex watches is not all about £££$$$ but sad today many just think of that.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 09:08 PM   #18
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Well said Peter!!! If you are buying a modern Rolex as a means to make money or because you think it will go up==you are mistaken and are wasting your money! Supply and demand dictate collectible prices-and there is no shortage of supply of modern Rolexes!! If you are buying because you love Rolex and the watch you are getting--you are spot on! Get what you love because you want to wear it and enjoy it!!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 09:40 PM   #19
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree and most model Rolex have been unchanged since 1988 except for a few minor details.Today IMHO most today just think Rolex watches are some sort of £££$$$$$ ticket.In my days we bought Rolex watches just for the pleasure of owning one of the finest watches on the planet.And knowing it that watch purchase with just a bit of service that watch would last a life time and beyond.Owning Rolex watches is not all about £££$$$ but sad today many just think of that.
Amen.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 11:18 PM   #20
phelix_da_kat
"TRF" Member

True - I had the same sales patter from a dealer. Seriously keen to move the 114270.

It takes me a little while to save up - have 2 Rolexes at the moment.
Definitely intend to keep these as they have sentimental value and history.