The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 27 March 2011, 12:42 AM   #1
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Anonimo Millemetri Model 2000

Hey guys,

After a year of so of just researching about the brand and its watches, I was finally able to try some out and take one home!

Here are some details:

Movement: Automatic winding ANONIMO F1 01.1 on ETA 2824-2
Watch Case: Sand-blasted and satinated AISI316 stainless steel; 42.00 mm. diameter, screw locked back cover. Screw locked crown and manual helium expulsion valve. 4 mm thick domed sapphire crystal.
Water Resistance: 100 ATM
Wrist Strap: Manufactured and hand finished in patented Kodiak process calfskin to allow for extended immersion in fresh and sea water (24 continuous hours). Anonimo engraved on reverse of stainless steel buckle.

Brand History:

The thing that really got me interested with Anonimo was it's brand history. As some of you already know, Anonimo was started in the late 90's, after Panerai up and left for Switzerland. Apparently, Panerai left a whole community of expert craftsmen and parts suppliers in Italy and this is when an executive from Ferragamo (Federico Massacesi) decided to try his luck with horology, even teaming up with Ex-Panerai President Dino Zei to design an entire line of watches for Anonimo. Anonimo, Italian for Anonymous, underlines the philosophy that these watches are about who is wearing them not about branding hype.

Design:

Because this watch comes from Panerai's orphaned home, you can see a lot of similarities in style. Such as the modified "cushion" case, strap shape and maybe even the hands. The main difference is probably with the location of the crown and helium screw, not to mention the slightly smaller size (Luminor is listed at 44mm, this is 42mm). And the dial color of this watch is listed as Silver, but to me, it looks more like a very very light grey - almost off-white. Overall, it's a very clean looking watch and the sandblasting was expertly done and there are hardly any shiny bits, which I like. To me, it's got an excellent blend of ruggedness and subtlety, which makes it a great all-around watch.

Manufacture:

Although similar to Panerai, the likeness is only superficial as Anonimo employed some processes that make the watch stronger and better. "The case is "scooped out" on a lathe and machined from the inside, as compared to stamped out like most other cases. This method of manufacturing prevents excessive stress in the metal. Massacesi's resolute belief is that, while metal is struck, the molecules are largely restructured, making the metal brittle" - from Steven Burn's History of Anonimo Watches.

The Kodiak strap is another interesting feature where they treat the leather using organic materials to make it water resistant up to 24 hours under fresh or seawater. Initially, the strap is very stiff but it conforms very quickly to the wrist. In fact, it conformed to my wrist faster than my other leather strapped watches that are far thinner. As a result, it's very very comfortable to wear.

Pricing:

Now, this is where this watch really got my attention. In fact, when I got to the store, I wasn't even planning on buying but the price was just too good to pass up. At about 25% off retail, it was almost half the price of the cheapest Panerai. Best part is, production is extremely limited so you won't be seeing many wearing the same thing. Still, I hope they don't go the route of Panerai and start marketing the bejeezus out of their watches and having the consumers pay for the bill. I hope they stick to their guns and uphold the tradition - maybe they won't reach the stratospheric heights of Panerai but at least they maintain their soul and identity (not to mention keeping things accessible for "regular" dudes like myself ).

Anyway, that's it for me, hope this review answers some of your questions. If you have more questions, feel free to post.

Regards,

lorsban
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anonimobox.JPG (251.9 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg anonimoinbox.JPG (278.2 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg anonimo2.JPG (230.1 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg anonimowrist.JPG (246.9 KB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg anonimo3.JPG (243.4 KB, 394 views)
Old 27 March 2011, 12:52 AM   #2
belk7
"TRF" Member

Excellent review and I very much appreciate your taking the time to share. I have been intrigued by this brand as well - I am probably where you were several months ago at the beginning of your research. The Militare Chronograph with the beige dial is the one that has gotten my attention. That one has a very uniquire crown integrated with the lug at 6 oclock. I will definitely come back to this thread over time to see both your longer-term impressions as well as what others may have to say. Thanks again.
belk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2011, 01:14 AM   #3
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Hi belk7,

Thanks for the kind compliments! I was just hoping to shed some light on this still-mysterious brand and their excellent watches. I think it's a shame that too few know about this great company and what they stand for.

Anyway, I too, find their Militare line to be very interesting, with the crown placement that's not only novel but very practical as well. Problem for me, was that their size and price was too much and I had to go a couple of notches down.

Another one I was looking at was their D-Date II with a gold bezel. I tried one on as well and if I had the cash, I would have gone for that instead. Even then, it's probably still cheaper than a Luminor Base and just think of what you're getting!

Again, thanks for reading. I will definitely add to what's already been said in a couple of months or so (after the honeymoon phase haha).

regards,

lorsban
Old 6 April 2011, 10:02 PM   #4
speedo
"TRF" Member

Watch: dj 16234, 116610ln
gorgeous looking watch!
speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2011, 12:54 PM   #5
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo View Post
gorgeous looking watch!
Thanks speedo!
Old 7 April 2011, 06:57 PM   #6
everose

An Italian Beauty if ever i saw one !!

I have also become interested in this brand over the past few months.

An interesting history with lots of genuine Italian DNA evident in every watch they produce.

Congrats, and i also look forward to your longer term updates re-reliability and quality.

Thanks for posting a great review and photos.

everose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2011, 08:12 PM   #7
JohnnySub

I like it - its a bit of this and a bit of that
contemporary pam case
vintage pam hands
rolex seconds hand
omega railmaster inspired dial
I like the crown position

I like the yellowish dial version
JohnnySub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2011, 08:17 PM   #8
BH13GMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn
Am I correct in thinking that the original Panerai skills base in Firenza now work for Anonimo? Panerai has now sold out and become a higher volume big maketing type brand leaving their heritage behind a little?

Rolex Sub 1680, Rolex GMT 116710LN, Rolex Datejust 16220 Salmon Dial (the Mrs), Tudor BB58, Tudor Pelagos Blue and Several Seiko's
"last one in the chopper is a rotten egg" Jonathan Quayle Higgins III
BH13GMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2011, 08:58 PM   #9
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everose View Post
An Italian Beauty if ever i saw one !!

I have also become interested in this brand over the past few months.

An interesting history with lots of genuine Italian DNA evident in every watch they produce.

Congrats, and i also look forward to your longer term updates re-reliability and quality.

Thanks for posting a great review and photos.

Thanks everose! I'll wait a little longer before posting updates. Still in the honeymoon period. Hahaha
Old 7 April 2011, 09:00 PM   #10
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySub View Post
I like it - its a bit of this and a bit of that
contemporary pam case
vintage pam hands
rolex seconds hand
omega railmaster inspired dial
I like the crown position

I like the yellowish dial version
Ya but you'll notice they've kept everything basic and simple. So its a very clean look, which I really like.
Old 7 April 2011, 09:22 PM   #11
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH13GMT View Post
Am I correct in thinking that the original Panerai skills base in Firenza now work for Anonimo? Panerai has now sold out and become a higher volume big maketing type brand leaving their heritage behind a little?
Yup basically thats what happened. A whole team of skilled workers were left behind including Panerai's old boss Dino Zei. Besides the direct workers, Panerai also left behind a whole parts manufacturing community in Florence. So, when Massacesi revived it, the crew basically picked up where they left off, especially since they reopened practically within a year of closing shop.

With regards to heritage, Panerai seems to be keeping to theirs however they do seem to be "stuck" in a certain styling philosophy and era. They're sticking to their guns, which is working great but you dont see much progress or evolution compared to Anonimo, who's not afraid of trying new designs, ideas and materials. However, Panerai is making tremendous progress with movements, something Anonimo probably will never get into.
Old 7 April 2011, 10:07 PM   #12
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I like it a lot. Nice workmanship.
As for them not getting into movements - they might have to if they can't get the ETA's
Just thinking.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2011, 10:18 PM   #13
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Good looking watch, kabayan. Very clean dial. Grats!
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2011, 11:40 PM   #14
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I like it a lot. Nice workmanship.
As for them not getting into movements - they might have to if they can't get the ETA's
Just thinking.
Yeah, theyre already using sellita movements for some of the models.
Old 11 April 2011, 04:43 PM   #15
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Update:

I took my caliper and measured the case and, including the crown-guard, it's 44.5mm. The diameter of the bezel is 42mm. So, it's still pretty substantial.

I also had the chance to replace the strap and over-torqued the screw, so I broke it. NICE one di@khead! Luckily, I found a replacement set of bars from an old Suunto T3. They're not an exact fit and I had to file the heads a little bit to make them fit the case, purely a temporary solution of course as these aren't the right size and they stick out by about .1-.2mm (as you can see in the pic).

Ordered a steel bracelet and some extra lug bars and screws. Will post pics again when they arrive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lugs.jpg (163.5 KB, 327 views)
Old 7 June 2011, 01:41 PM   #16
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Hey guys,

Steel strap arrived! Figured I'd post a follow-up. It took longer than expected but its well worth the wait! Steel makes the watch seem more "integrated," brushed finish looks clean, design overall looks tough! Very masculine looking. And the updated clasp has micro-adjustment. At first, I wanted a butterfly clasp for looks but the adjustment is proving to be a god-send.

Here are some pics:

Old 7 June 2011, 11:52 PM   #17
everose

Sorry about your bracelet mishap Lorsban.

But just look at that magnificet ss bracelet .....perfectly matches the Italian flair of the case and dial......really gives it a testosterone boost.....congrats.

It looks like the links use screws.

This is what Sly should be wearing on his wrist!!

everose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2011, 12:32 AM   #18
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
Nice clean model, wear it in good health!

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2011, 09:40 AM   #19
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everose View Post
Sorry about your bracelet mishap Lorsban.

But just look at that magnificet ss bracelet .....perfectly matches the Italian flair of the case and dial......really gives it a testosterone boost.....congrats.

It looks like the links use screws.

This is what Sly should be wearing on his wrist!!

Haha! It happens. Good thing they had spare lug bars in abouttime.com. So I ordered 2 to be sure.

Anyway, I agree with the style, it's very masculine!

Looks like I can go to war with this thing. haha!
Old 8 June 2011, 09:41 AM   #20
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Nice clean model, wear it in good health!
Thanks mate!
Old 10 June 2011, 05:30 PM   #21
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
I have always admired this brand for its products and history and how they have carried that history on...your's is one great product from them that looks absolutley gorgeous on the bracelet
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2011, 07:34 PM   #22
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asadtiger View Post
I have always admired this brand for its products and history and how they have carried that history on...your's is one great product from them that looks absolutley gorgeous on the bracelet
Thanks asadtiger! This particular model is actually their most conservative looking but with the bracelet, it makes it stand out more.