The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 September 2011, 03:24 PM   #1
007bond
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Roger Federer

Sunday evening, just finished watching a US Open tennis match. Roger dispensed with Monaco in three sets: 6-1, 6-2, 6-0. What a display of supreme talent, including four aces in a row, by a Rolex Daytona wearing superstar! Noticed his watch in the interview immediately following the game. Looked like either SS or WG model. Anyone notice?
007bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 03:38 PM   #2
mrm3daytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Everrose Daytona
think it was a SS Daytona white face
mrm3daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Wilfried Tsonga was also wearing a SS Daytona, during post-match interview after his victory during the day session.
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 03:50 PM   #4
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiancekofb View Post
Wilfried Tsonga was also wearing a SS Daytona, during post-match interview after his victory during the day session.
Speaking of Tsonga, this dude's been hounding Federer the past few tournaments, beating him in 2. I guess we can add him to Fed's growing list of question marks, including Nadal, Djokovic.
Old 6 September 2011, 04:01 PM   #5
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorsban View Post
Speaking of Tsonga, this dude's been hounding Federer the past few tournaments, beating him in 2. I guess we can add him to Fed's growing list of question marks, including Nadal, Djokovic.
Yes Tsonga is a beast, he definitely has Federer's number. I think Tsonga has won against Federer 2 out of the last 3 times. I don't mean to say Federer isn't good anymore, I think the playing field has just gotten alot better since Federer made his championships run. Nadal didn't use to have a power serve or defense, but now has both. Djokovic had no aim with his forehand in the past, but now he is like a sniper. He also used to get tired relatively easily in the past, but he cut out junk food, so he has more stamina now. Should be a great tournament moving forward.
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 08:33 PM   #6
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Ana Ivanovic was wearing a Daytona .. and it looked better

Seriously, Federer is KING ... Monaco is not an easy player ... he just destroyed him.
Old 6 September 2011, 08:48 PM   #7
JIFF1975

Watch: SDDS, 116610LV

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2011/9/...the-wrist.html
JIFF1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2011, 02:49 PM   #8
007bond
"TRF" Member

Icon2

Thursday evening, Fed just prevailed over Tsonga in three straight sets, a much stronger opponent than Monaco he beat earlier in the week. Djokovic is next...
Again, Roger put a SS Daytona white face on his wrist just before the post match tv interview. During the interview he brushed his hair back with both hands, clearly showing the Daytona. He kept doing it repeatedly, exposing watch to camera each time. Must be good (and well deserved) to have a lucrative sponsorship.
Old 9 September 2011, 06:38 PM   #9
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Decisive victory for sure! I hope this Fed can maintain his A-game for Novak.

In my opinion, if he beats Novak but loses the final, its still a big plus since he's the only guy who can beat a healthy Novak this season.
Old 10 September 2011, 01:22 AM   #10
007bond
"TRF" Member

Icon15

Lorsban, your comment is spot on. Roger will have to reach deep in order to overcome Novak. That would be huge victory both for Federer and for Rolex, demonstrating again lasting quality of both brands.
Old 10 September 2011, 01:30 AM   #11
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorsban View Post
Decisive victory for sure! I hope this Fed can maintain his A-game for Novak.

In my opinion, if he beats Novak but loses the final, its still a big plus since he's the only guy who can beat a healthy Novak this season.
Healthy Novak???? Both his shoulder and foot are injured!!!
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2011, 01:32 AM   #12
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
So what is it?

From the article...

Today he was wearing a stainless steel Daytona with a black dial, white registers, and a black bezel. The thing is, Rolex doesn't make a steel Daytona with black bezel (they do, however make a gold Daytona with black bezel). To us, it looks like a Reference 6263 Daytona, an iconic vintage chronograph that was produced from 1971 through 1988. But, it is unusual for an ambassador to wear a model that hasn't been made in 23 years so the question has to be asked, "Did we just catch a glimpse of a future Rolex model?"

Realistically, probably not. If you check out the video above (skip to :35) picture above, the watch on Roger's wrist really does look like a vintage 6263. But, with Rolex releasing the gold Daytona with black bezel this year at Basel, it isn't totally out of the question to see a pre-production model on Roger's wrist. After all, we already know that brands like AP are in the habit of giving prototypes to ambassadors.

So what do you think: is Federer wearing an old 6263 or a prototype modern steel Daytona with Cerachrom bezel? And, which do you think would be cooler anyway?
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2011, 01:36 AM   #13
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
I can only imagine the "special" models he has access to given his role as a Rolex spokesperson. I would guess they have all kinds of vintage/nonreleased items in their vault that he can pick from. Lucky Duck!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2011, 01:39 AM   #14
L00ker
Banned

Federer is the only one to beat Novak this year. Tsonga is no where near as good. Yes he beat Roger twice this year- once in a major from two sets down (happen to be Roger's first loss in his career when winning first two sets), and another non-major which doesn't really matter. The top players are different beasts in majors.
And it was a white gold 116509 Daytona he was wearing post Tsonga match. Silver dial, red hands.
L00ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2011, 01:57 AM   #15
007bond
"TRF" Member

Mr. L00ker, thanx for correction.
Old 10 September 2011, 02:04 AM   #16
L00ker
Banned

Joseph,

I thought it was the SS white dial at first too but that's the beauty off the new 55inch Samsung LED HDTV's! Got a good close up of it! -Jimmy
Old 10 September 2011, 02:15 AM   #17
007bond
"TRF" Member

Jimmy,

that explains it, along with a degree of ignorance!
This one was a 46" Samsung LCD HDTV and it's five years old. Like Rolex, I'm conservatively slow to update. Already looking for replacement. Is yours state of the art?
Old 10 September 2011, 03:26 AM   #18
L00ker
Banned

My LED is about a year an a half old. Has wifi and apps... Pretty state of the art if you ask me. You can't go wrong with the newer samsung LED's regardless of size.