The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 September 2011, 10:51 AM   #121
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
How do I pay? I ask my wife to write a check. I really don't understand the question of justifying the purchase. I have given it some thought but really don't understand what you are asking.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2011, 12:14 PM   #122
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
as long as the purchase doesnt put me into debt and its not taking away from my standard of living then i just buy it.
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2011, 02:56 PM   #123
jets
"TRF" Member

I don't justify buying it because that sort of defeats the point of buying it in the first place. Find the watch you want; if you can buy it twice cash than get it. If not, find another watch to like.

That's how I roll.
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2011, 03:20 PM   #124
Mercmanuk
"TRF" Member

I see where the OP is coming from, $200k per year you live a $200K life style,

so $8K out of the budget will still hurt just like $20K salary on a $2K Breitling

it'e not just a case of how you pay for them, but how you pay and enjoy the Rolex or any purchase.

first thing is rewind your life, live in a modest way, throw away the CCards and save.

i live in a modest way done my home up, saved for the extra trappings paid cash, and kept my disposable income in line with my yearly salary rise , brought up 3 children in relative comfort,

now my disposable income is (this is UK £2.5K per month) which in today's market = UK£ 2500 = $3 947.5 U.S. dollars per month.

i have credit cards but almost never use them, as for a Rolex as a investment forget it, the chance to grow your monthly income is the biggest investment opportunity anybody has.

the money give's me peace and harmony, the Rolex gives me Pleasure, that's how it should be.

i have now reached a point through hard work and Patience and not wanting it all at once we can enjoy our hard earned.

i feel my father's words have had a hand in the post

and one final thing is when you have saved hard and finally can afford the thing's you want, you will probably find that you don't really want them thing's or a collection of anything, funny old world.

if you can not afford it you want it, and when you can afford it your not bothered, trust me.

Regards Mark UK
Mercmanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2011, 05:25 PM   #125
Cato
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
A fine watch is something I feel I'm worth. I don't need to justify it. But I do pay cash and only buy an expensive watch every 10 years or more.
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2011, 06:06 PM   #126
topgear
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN, PAM390
I bought mine with cash and paid the full amount at the end of the month. I think that how it should be.
topgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2011, 10:11 PM   #127
RC2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
Passing them down to my son. Look at this post only a rare time would u see a red sox and Yankees fan agree!!!

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
RC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2011, 10:54 PM   #128
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I pay cash and don't need to justify as my priorities are in line...

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2011, 10:54 PM   #129
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
Hello, let me put this in a nice way. DUDE YOU MAKE 200k a year. BUY IT. WTF
It doesn't matter how much you make...it only matters how much you keep. We don't know any details about the OPs expenses/budget, but in general a person that makes $80K per year and spends $60K is far better off than a person who earns $200K and spends $200K.

We really don't have enough information to determine whether this purchase is wise. To the OP, trust your instincts and buy the watch when feel that you are truly ready.
Old 17 September 2011, 10:59 PM   #130
Deepsea Florida
"TRF" Member

Start dating a wealthy older woman.

Get her to buy you said Rolex.

Dump her.

Start dating younger woman.
Deepsea Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2011, 02:50 AM   #131
GED
"TRF" Member

Watch: d-d40wg
Because I wanted it. Paid with a check.
GED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2011, 02:51 AM   #132
DocChan
"TRF" Member

I wanted one all throughout college and when I saved up the cash, I went searching for one.
DocChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2011, 07:15 AM   #133
fleabag
"TRF" Member

Saved up ,paid cash for my 3 Watches,all with blood ,sweat and tears.

I dont smoke ,Drink or bet either .

I am addicted to working about 60 plus hours a week,for this I have a Porsche too.
fleabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2011, 02:27 AM   #134
arturob
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2 BLNR
large purchases i always pay with CC for miles. if can't use CC, then cash.
arturob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2011, 02:49 AM   #135
1680red
"TRF" Member

princeton3... stop sounding like such a goober! ENJOY life, do not be so calculating. Buy what you want, wear it in good health and wake up each day and enjoy life. You obviously have the means by which to purchase what you want... just do it.

Too much thinking is bad for your health!
1680red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2011, 03:42 AM   #136
princeton3

Great advice! Thanks for sharing your perspective- makes excellent sense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercmanuk View Post
I see where the OP is coming from, $200k per year you live a $200K life style,

so $8K out of the budget will still hurt just like $20K salary on a $2K Breitling

it'e not just a case of how you pay for them, but how you pay and enjoy the Rolex or any purchase.

first thing is rewind your life, live in a modest way, throw away the CCards and save.

i live in a modest way done my home up, saved for the extra trappings paid cash, and kept my disposable income in line with my yearly salary rise , brought up 3 children in relative comfort,

now my disposable income is (this is UK £2.5K per month) which in today's market = UK£ 2500 = $3 947.5 U.S. dollars per month.

i have credit cards but almost never use them, as for a Rolex as a investment forget it, the chance to grow your monthly income is the biggest investment opportunity anybody has.

the money give's me peace and harmony, the Rolex gives me Pleasure, that's how it should be.

i have now reached a point through hard work and Patience and not wanting it all at once we can enjoy our hard earned.

i feel my father's words have had a hand in the post

and one final thing is when you have saved hard and finally can afford the thing's you want, you will probably find that you don't really want them thing's or a collection of anything, funny old world.

if you can not afford it you want it, and when you can afford it your not bothered, trust me.

Regards Mark UK
princeton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2011, 03:48 AM   #137
princeton3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1680red View Post
princeton3... stop sounding like such a goober! ENJOY life, do not be so calculating. Buy what you want, wear it in good health and wake up each day and enjoy life. You obviously have the means by which to purchase what you want... just do it.

Too much thinking is bad for your health!
Thank you for the honest opinion! It's just that I haven't always had a nice salary, grew up somewhat poor but didn't really realize it at the time. Have two kids (teenager and 4 year old) and was just concerned about whether it was wise to do.
princeton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2011, 04:18 AM   #138
cyglee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gmtll,LV,SD,GV,etc
My priority would be the teenager and 4 yr old. College, etc., comes upon you quickly and a nice savings account is so comforting...jmho
cyglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2011, 07:29 AM   #139
Rsea
"TRF" Member

First post, hi Gents :)

I'm going through this pain right now

I'm lusting after a DSSD but with renovations and a european trip planned it's going to be hard to justify pulling 10k out of the household to pay for an extravagance. The trick is I have a side business which is completely apart from my normal work. I spend most weekends and after hours on it and this would pay for the DSSD in a few months but I'm having trouble justifying the cost even out of these funds.....

I'm not sure their will even be a time I think it's practical to drop 10k on a watch
Rsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2011, 07:32 AM   #140
Rolex Junky
Banned

Watch: 116710LN & 116201
I just keep reminding my self that life is to short NOT to endulge in earthly pleausures.
Rolex Junky is offline   Reply With Quote