The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 October 2011, 05:08 PM   #1
The Godzilla

14060M as an investment

Hi guys,

I'm seriously saving up and planning to buy a 14060M for myself.

Since I'm just an average income guy and the amount of 14060M is very significant to me and I was wondering what if I suddenly have financial problem after two years and I decided to sell it, what is the logical return rate by taking account that Rolex will have price increase every year.

Example:

2011 : 14060M (let say I can purchase it USD 5,000)

2013 : 14060M (how much the re-sell value? let say it is still under good condition)

Experienced flipper do chip in to enlighten me

Looking forward to hear from you guys
The Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 05:20 PM   #2
bmwwilliams
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I, GMT II
Can I make a recommendation?

Don't buy it.

Whilst I understand it is very desirable, a Rolex is a luxury item that one should only indulge in when all their other financial obligations are met.

If you have to think for even a second about the resale value in the case of financial issues, that is a clear sign you cannot afford it.

Although I'm sure people here can quote you an accurate price, this is often not achievable immediately - It can take months to sell it privately at market value. If you find yourself in need of cash quickly, you will likely have to take it to a pawn broker - In which case all estimations of its value go out the window.
People in those lines of work become very good at gauging your desperation for cash.
bmwwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwwilliams View Post

Don't buy it.

Whilst I understand it is very desirable, a Rolex is a luxury item that one should only indulge in when all their other financial obligations are met.

If you have to think for even a second about the resale value in the case of financial issues, that is a clear sign you cannot afford it.

Although I'm sure people here can quote you an accurate price, this is often not achievable immediately - It can take months to sell it privately at market value. If you find yourself in need of cash quickly, you will likely have to take it to a pawn shop - In which case all estimations of its value go out the window.
Very well put
Colnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 05:31 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwwilliams View Post

Don't buy it.

Although I'm sure people here can quote you an accurate price, this is often not achievable immediately - It can take months to sell it privately at market value. If you find yourself in need of cash quickly, you will likely have to take it to a pawn broker - In which case all estimations of its value go out the window.
People in those lines of work become very good at gauging your desperation for cash.
X2 No modern day Rolex should be thought of as any sort of investment Rolex watches are for wearing.Then after wearing and enjoying your watch for many years in good health.Then if you have to sell your watch and get a good return of original price paid. Just think of it as a bonus on all the enjoyment of owning and wearing one of the finest watches made today.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 05:44 PM   #5
mew
"TRF" Member

You will definately take a hit if you bought it brand new. Resale prices differ slightly in different countries but over here I have seen used non-COSC 14060Ms going for 3.2k USD or so (which interestingly is about the same price as the older 14060) and COSC 14060M going around 4k-4.5k. Expect to take another 20% off that price if you decide to off load it to a pawn shop or watch dealer.
mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 06:07 PM   #6
rad87gn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Omega
I think we should have a sticky here on Rolex and investement because of how much it shows up. Rolex resale is pretty high. More than most. But, only the vintage Rolex are what I would consider an investment piece. I must say though. As of late with the crappy economy. Rolex for me has done better than quite a few stock investments.

I think the days of gaining back what you paid for a Rolex in the last 10 years is going to slow down and has already started. I feel Rolex is starting to close the gap between cost and what you would pay for their product already. The SS Daytona days are already here and that is their strongest product for worth verses cost. Only a few years ago their cost was $3,000 below value. Today it's equal and starting to go backwards.

The highest retain or gain value of modern Rolex are SS sport models.
Rolex P-Series SS GMT II Black, Rolex Y-Series Sea-Dweller, Rolex F-Series TT Blue Sub, Rolex F-Series Sub LV, Rolex D-Series Ladies SS/WG DJ for wife, Panerai K-Series PAM 112, Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50, Omega Seamaster 300M Chrono 2594.52
rad87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 06:09 PM   #7
spyderco10
"TRF" Member

if you are already anticipating the possibility of financial problems in a couple of years, you probably should not be buying the watch in the first place. not trying to rain on your parade, but saving the money instead might save you from headaches later on.
spyderco10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 06:11 PM   #8
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Agreed with all of the previous comments. No watch is worth sleepless nights.
Old 29 October 2011, 06:19 PM   #9
The Godzilla

Due to my increasing desperate level of getting a 14060M, I've just purchased a few lottery tickets, and I assume TRF members will indeed support me and with the power of subconscious mind, let's cross our fingers and hope that I hit the lottery.

And if god is browsing in TRF here as well, do take note that I'm not greedy, I just want a 14060M so badly
Old 29 October 2011, 06:23 PM   #10
rad87gn
"TRF" Member

The 14060M is THE last of the old school full production SS sport models.
Rolex P-Series SS GMT II Black, Rolex Y-Series Sea-Dweller, Rolex F-Series TT Blue Sub, Rolex F-Series Sub LV, Rolex D-Series Ladies SS/WG DJ for wife, Panerai K-Series PAM 112, Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50, Omega Seamaster 300M Chrono 2594.52
Old 29 October 2011, 06:31 PM   #11
The Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad87gn View Post
The 14060M is THE last of the old school full production SS sport models.
That's why I see the potential of 14060M maintaining its value (in the long run)
Old 29 October 2011, 06:31 PM   #12
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
I wouldn't look at it as an investment, at least short term. But you could be safe in the knowledge that it will retain a sizeable chunk of its value (more than most purchases would).
OrangeSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 06:33 PM   #13
rad87gn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Godzilla View Post
That's why I see the potential of 14060M maintaining its value (in the long run)
There will be some when it gets discontinued. IF it does. Only Rolex knows. I see them either upgrading it, leaving it cause it is the last of the old school, or dropping it all together. It's anyone's best guess.
Old 29 October 2011, 06:39 PM   #14
316lad
"TRF" Member

Someone here put it very nicely and said:

"A Rolex should be considered solely an investment in the wearer's happiness.
Invest any more than that and you risk a disappointing return."
316lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 06:51 PM   #15
The Godzilla

It is actually not just about the lust of getting the 14060M, but it is the brutal facts that if I don't get it now, the price will just getting higher and higher.

The investment part is to make myself justifiable to myself (or maybe to my gf) as I foresee I will get buyer remorse

But knowing that I can get it around USD 5,000 today but end up holding myself and waited for another year and the price gone up to USD 6,000 and I might as well blame myself for not getting it in the first place
Old 29 October 2011, 07:01 PM   #16
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
If you can, buy it. Only you know this.

Surely there's a new price increase at some point, but I also suspect there will be a 114060 or 214060 coming out at some point, with ceramic bezel, maxi case etc...

If you take good care of the watch, I doubt you'll lose a lot of money on it. Maybe you'll even make money on it, who really knows?

Just as an example, I bought my DSSD back in spring 2010 for 6100 euro. Retail then 7200. A little while later price rose to 8600 euro. I traded the watch and got a trade in value of about 7500!

So I made about 1400 euro on it in a year!
But remember this was a trade in to a more expensive watch, so I doubt I could have gotten 7500 euro for it if I just put it up for sale.
Old 29 October 2011, 07:16 PM   #17
The Godzilla

1400 euro in just one year is impressive
Old 29 October 2011, 07:18 PM   #18
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Godzilla View Post
1400 euro in just one year is impressive
Yes, but I got lucky getting a good discount to begin with, and a solid price rise.

And it wasn't 1400e cash in my pocket, it was trade in value.
Old 29 October 2011, 07:23 PM   #19
PeterT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 16710 16600
I think that the OP wants to buy a watch very much but he wants to protect his investment as much as possible. I can relate to this as some watch brands on sale drop like a stone as you walk out of the door.

Yes you are not going to make the thousands that would return if you sell a milsub found in a drawer. However you should not lose or even make a modest profit if you spend wisely.
I really enjoy my sport Rolex collection but for most of my pieces I bought with an eye to the future. There are some that I could not resist like the LV C but you cannot be calculating all of the time.

Waiting at my AD today is a new exp ii42 and a sub no date. The exp II will fall in value but the sub will hold it's price against what I will pay due to discount and the predicted price rise here in the uk on 5th November.

Peter
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 07:48 PM   #20
The Godzilla

Keep going guys, let's share some of your success stories in "investing" a Rolex.

I believe most TRF members not a serial flipper but more of a collector or wearer.
Old 29 October 2011, 07:52 PM   #21
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Only the OP can answer this question of whether to buy it. I've stretched myself on many occasions to buy many things, and glad I did.

It all depends on his personal situation, job, family support, finances, etc

If you think you are likely to sell, don't do it.
If you have to sell I would say expect to move it on at a slight loss.
And best bet is to buy used from a reputable seller.

Best of luck.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 07:57 PM   #22
jwalther
"TRF" Member

A well bought used example solves all your problems. . .
Old 29 October 2011, 08:01 PM   #23
CEG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116505
I would say if you think you can stretch to it - do it.

My only advice if worried about selling iut in the next few years... buy used, if you pay the correct used money, you shouldn't lose a thing in 2 years...

CEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 08:07 PM   #24
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 316lad View Post

mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 08:13 PM   #25
The Godzilla

I'm definitely not buying to flip.

Is an Asian thing, when I buy a Rolex, my parents, siblings, girl friend, colleagues will be interrogating me why buying a "watch" with that kind of money, are you crazy? USD 5,000 for just a "watch" !? kinda thing.

They only think that Rolex are for the super rich category.

They don't know how to treasure the fine craftsmanship of a Rolex.

I wanted to buy a Rolex not to show or prove that I'm rich (instead I will be half broke when I buy it) but rather I want to treasure it and appreciate every single detail of the watch.

I guess I'm kinda Rolex fetish
Old 29 October 2011, 08:23 PM   #26
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:

Well said.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 08:32 PM   #27
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Look, the best thing is to find one used or from the gray dealers and instantly realize that savings. Believe me the brand new from the AD is a rich mans game. I can understand situations that warrant that but is this game wear is going to happen, save the 20% or more and get one a few years old. If you do this right (watch game) you shouldnt lose much money at all.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 08:41 PM   #28
The Godzilla

After 7.30pm (Malaysian time GMT +8) tonight, I will know the results of my lottery tickets.

14060M please come to daddy
Old 29 October 2011, 10:01 PM   #29
The Godzilla

well about the lottery...

Old 29 October 2011, 10:07 PM   #30
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:

Exactly!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote