The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 September 2007, 07:19 PM   #1
jimbo1mcm

Watch: New GMT2C
Buying help for a GMT 2

I am getting ready to switch from Omega to the new GMT-2. Omega's have been great, but it's time. Now to the hard part....where and how to buy. First, I would not buy from an ebay seller who is not totally reputable. I would probably not buy from an AD who won't give some kind of discount. Here's my question: If I purchase a Rolex from a dealer who is not authorized by Rolex, what happens to the warranty? In previous Omega purchases, from a reputable, but not authorized Omega dealer, they told me that the Omega warranty was void, but that they would fix any problems. That kind of scares me because I live about 2 hours from a RSC in New York City and I would bring the watch to them for service. Am I correct that if I purchase the watch from a not-authorized dealer, that the Rolex 2 year warranty is void, and they would not perform any warranty work for free?
jimbo1mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2007, 07:30 PM   #2
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
That is correct, buying a watch from a Non-AD will not have the warranty. The only way you will get a two year warranty, is if you have the warranty paper work or warranty card with the ADs stamp on it and YOUR name on it.

Word of caution switching from Omega to Rolex. Be forewarned, your Rolex will have much sharper edges, less lumination, and a crystal that will show more fingerprints/smudges (since no AR coating) than an Omega will. Also, the steel Rolex uses has a higher nickel content, so if you have any bit of allergies to Nickel, the Rolex may irritate your wrist a bit.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2007, 07:31 PM   #3
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Welcome to TRF!

Keep it simple! Just buy from an AD and you don't get any trouble!

And besides that, if you just use your negotiation skills, you should be able to get a discount from an AD, too.

Good luck!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2007, 07:32 PM   #4
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
That is correct, buying a watch from a Non-AD will not have the warranty. The only way you will get a two year warranty, is if you have the warranty paper work or warranty card with the ADs stamp on it and YOUR name on it.

Word of caution switching from Omega to Rolex. Be forewarned, your Rolex will have much sharper edges, less lumination, and a crystal that will show more fingerprints/smudges (since no AR coating) than an Omega will. Also, the steel Rolex uses has a higher nickel content, so if you have any bit of allergies to Nickel, the Rolex may irritate your wrist a bit.
So in other words:

ROLEX IS a piece of

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2007, 07:38 PM   #5
leopardprey
Banned

No! LOL LOL Just stating some advantages that Omega has over Rolex. Many times I see people buy Rolex, because of the Name and PRestige, then come to find out it is not as good as expected or some of the other lesser priced or equal priced brands actually fits their needs and expectations better. I do like Rolex watches, but to be honest OMegas are a much better buy for the money. I think a lot of what we pay for in our Rolex watches is for the name "Rolex".
Old 10 September 2007, 08:09 PM   #6
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
I think a lot of what we pay for in our Rolex watches is for the name "Rolex".
Chad, did you ever wonder what the real manufacturing cost of a Rolex is? I appreciate that Rolex is entitled to make a profit as are their AD's, and at the end of the day any product is worth what the buyer is prepared to pay, but the word "inflated" comes to mind when looking at their retail prices.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2007, 08:58 PM   #7
leopardprey
Banned

Personally I believe a Rolex cost about the same to make as an Omega. Both are about the same quaility wise. The couple extra thousand you pay for a Rolex over an Omega is for the name Rolex, and pure profit for Rolex (and possibly the ADs).

Now, it is opinion if one likes a Rolex more than an Omega or vice versa, but you can not tell me a Rolex is $2000 - $3000 better quality wise than an Omega. I am not trying to start a debate over which is better Rolex or Omega. Both are good watches. I just think Rolex is way overpriced.
Old 10 September 2007, 11:28 PM   #8
Solar
"TRF" Member

Watch: their hands, baby.
Quote:
Personally I believe a Rolex cost about the same to make as an Omega. Both are about the same quaility wise. The couple extra thousand you pay for a Rolex over an Omega is for the name Rolex. I just think Rolex is way overpriced.
Logical half of my brain: You're absolutely correct. Can't argue that Rolex is overpriced.

Rolex half of my brain: Why does the Rolex look so damn good on the wrist compared to anything else I've ever worn/owned? And its tough, proven, can take the water even if its a dress watch, uses a manufacture movement which a published jeweller in WatchTime reckons is one of the most accurate and reliable movements made, not to mention easy to service, accurate over the long haul, etc etc. And it just has a hue, sheen and glitter that makes it unique. Spotting them in the wild is like seeing an incredibly coloured bird in dark green foliage. Just stands out, hard to articulate why.........

But they are pricey, no doubt. I think that when I see another brand that hits all of these points (toughness, proven reliability, absolute beauty and the bling, etc) as well as Rolex, I'll consider that brand. Until then............I seem stuck on this brand despite what my logical mind keeps trying to tell me.

Chris
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2007, 11:40 PM   #9
Arturo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black GMT ll
You probably are not going to get much if any discount on the new GMT so if you want it, just bite the bullet and make relations with your local AD and you will have a place to go if there is a problem. You can spend a lot running around looking for a discount that may or not be there, and then get a watch remotely without the benefit of local business practices. Of course they are all inflated...so what. They get what they ask for especially on their rarer watches. My AD already has a list of 7 for the new Milgaus. MRSP and no discount of course.

I too have Omegas and they are a good price point. It is like comparing a great Passatt to a very nice 3 series BMW. The latter will simply cost more more.
Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2007, 12:55 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm View Post
I am getting ready to switch from Omega to the new GMT-2. Omega's have been great, but it's time. Now to the hard part....where and how to buy. .....That kind of scares me because I live about 2 hours from a RSC in New York City and I would bring the watch to them for service. Am I correct that if I purchase the watch from a not-authorized dealer, that the Rolex 2 year warranty is void, and they would not perform any warranty work for free?
Jimbo,

You're concerned about your comfort level...A valid point.. However, it is unlikely that your Rolex will need any "warranty" work within the first 2 years.

Many Gray Dealers (non-AD) have watchmakers on staff and offer their own warranty, and, since the Rolex movement is not complicated, any competent watchmaker can handle anything that comes up..

As far as cost comparisons.....It's tough if you compare apples to oranges. On a Rolex, anything that looks like gold, is - solid gold. Even the hands are white or yellow gold, as well as the surrounds of the lume dots and indices; even on Stainless models. The proven Oyster waterproof case is patented, rugged, and stamped from a single block of alloy. While I believe the 904 stainless that only Rolex uses is mostly marketing, it is a more expensive process. etc...

Of course the prices are inflated... just like any other luxury product..

In the end, if you want a Rolex, you pay the price....if you don't.....there are other fine watches for less.

Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2007, 12:59 AM   #11
Geoff
"TRF" Member

If you do some research there are legitimate e-bay dealers out there who can sell you a new watch with open papers at decent discounts. There are also gray dealers who will sell new with their own warranty, i.e. Alan Furman. Bottom line there are realisitic alternatives to ADs - really personal choice and comfort level. I've purchased from ADs and from good e-bayers with no problem. For me it comes down to the amount of the savings, i.e. a few months ago I purchased a brand new Z series Explorer II for $1000 under list from an e-bay dealer. I had the watch verified by an AD. I'd rather have that 1000 than give it to a dealer for no reason.
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2007, 03:44 AM   #12
bmackinlay
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18K Pres.DD 118238
Another words if you want a Rolex from an AD assume the position , grab those ankles!!and go home knowing you paid the highest price but you got peace of mind. IMHO Hayman4353
bmackinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2007, 04:04 AM   #13
txrob779

Quote:

Incorrect, at least as far as I am concerned. There is a huge gray dealer in Dallas and I am sure there are other just like them in other cities. I am not advocating this dealer I am just sharing my experiance with them. They can be 100% trusted and they sold 4 Rolex's in the hour it took me to buy my wife's pre-owned datejust.

Dallas Gold and Silver Exchange has a 100 Rolex's in stock and can get whatever you want year, model, condition and more. They do a service check, go thru the pre-owned Rolex and send it to you with a full 2 year warranty USED and an apprasial for insurance. They are online and you can see some examples, I believe Bernard Watch and Gray and Son, Furman do the same kind of thing. If I didn't get wayyyyy too much instore credit a Jared and have a year with no interest I would have bought a 16610 there. I was on my way there infact when I stopped in Jared. If you want to know more PM me. In a recent thread I posted up how I had a small issue with my wife's watch that they fixed while she waited.

They sold these 4 while I watched as they changed bracelet and dial on my wife's Rolex

A 16613 tt Blue Sub
A 16610
A DayDate President
A Yachmaster
and my wifes datejust.

The place was full of people included a Dallas WBAP radio personality Mark Davis.
txrob779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2007, 04:08 AM   #14
txrob779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
Chad, did you ever wonder what the real manufacturing cost of a Rolex is? I appreciate that Rolex is entitled to make a profit as are their AD's, and at the end of the day any product is worth what the buyer is prepared to pay, but the word "inflated" comes to mind when looking at their retail prices.
Correct-a-mundo

While the glistening new AD Rolex is great, there is about a $1000 in markup there in a 16610. Probally twice that in gold and two tone models, for instance, at the DGSE I saw a Z series 16610 for $4195.00. The AD I bought mime from was $5175.00. Same watch, damn near new, all the paperwork and almost a grand less. Why didn't I buy it, I didn't have $4000.00 liquid and ready and didn't wanna charge it on my Visa. LOL I am a dumb*** for charging it anyway at Jared w/no intrest for a year. GO figure, but I have always ALWAYS insisted on buying pre-owned Rolex's to avoid the retail markup. Ebay is a HELL NO but there are reptable dealers out there.
txrob779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2007, 04:29 AM   #15
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Personally I believe a Rolex cost about the same to make as an Omega. Both are about the same quaility wise. The couple extra thousand you pay for a Rolex over an Omega is for the name Rolex, and pure profit for Rolex (and possibly the ADs).

Now, it is opinion if one likes a Rolex more than an Omega or vice versa, but you can not tell me a Rolex is $2000 - $3000 better quality wise than an Omega. I am not trying to start a debate over which is better Rolex or Omega. Both are good watches. I just think Rolex is way overpriced.
I recently purchased an Omega GMT and I'm very surprised at how accurate it is - about 1 second a day. It's a very practical watch and superb in low light with those big sword hands Omega uses, but there's something about the Rolex design. It's classic and they get it right every time. It also stands the test of time; their professional watches have not really changed that much from the 1950's. They also look great on, even after years of use, just polish them up and they look like new. Fit and finish, I have to agree, I don't see much difference in terms of attention to detail. I would buy from an AD BTW. The GMT 2 looks a fabulous watch.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2007, 05:23 AM   #16
jbradley02

Watch: GMT-Master II
Well Jimbo if you decide the AD route, depending on where you are in CT, mine came from Harstan Jewelers in Trumbull, they are friendly, and knowledgeable, they also gave discounted price off of MSRP, of 8925 for the TT GMT, they went down to 8k plus tax, cash. I am not sure if that is a good deal for you, but I thought it was and since my Wife paid for it she was happy too.
jbradley02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2007, 06:35 AM   #17
jimbo1mcm

Watch: New GMT2C
Will go AD route

Thanks to forum members for the input. I will go the AD route. Although nothing should go wrong with a watch of this type, things do happen and I think I prefer the Rolex warranty. I still like the new GMT because of the improved main spring, clasp and bezel.
jimbo1mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2007, 08:03 AM   #18
Destroy

Quote:

Go to the corner and think about what you've said young man!!!!
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote