The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 3 February 2012, 07:17 AM   #1
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: yo self!
AP vs VC

Hey Guys....So I've always had a soft spot for VC's and AP's

The Overseas line has been calling me, particularly the two time zone, and I've always liked the ROO's (Dalip's recent thread on his Diver is what's inspiring my recent dilemma)

So between the two...is there any reason why I would go for one rather than the other...and Yes I know they're two completely different animals.

Call it a late new years Resolution, but I think I'll need to get either or by the end of 2012....just in case the world ends!
Breitling: And some of these.
TattooedGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2012, 07:33 AM   #2
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
Yes you're right they are 2 different animals. AP is my pick. Because to own it, wearing it ... It just a different feeling. Also because ... It's AP !! :))
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2012, 07:41 AM   #3
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
For me...AP all the way. Unique style and truly stand apart from every other watch in terms of style and look. They just have that feel on the wrist too which until you wear one you won't understand. With that said...to each his own and VC is a great watch house.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2012, 07:56 AM   #4
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys....I tried on a ROO at a GTG last year, and I knew it was a winner.....i wonder if we have any VC fans on the board.
Old 3 February 2012, 07:59 AM   #5
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
As other friends and fine members has already said... AP any day of the week

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2012, 08:08 AM   #6
eric23
"TRF" Member

I like AP but there are a lot of nice VC as well.
eric23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2012, 08:18 AM   #7
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
As a brand I prefer VC over AP, but in the sport watch department it has to be the Royal Oak. If you like the dual time OS you should check out the RO dual time with the same dial layout.

capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2012, 08:44 AM   #8
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
I personally prefer VC (although AP has beautiful models), this may be due to the fact that I like my watches to look somewhat dressy even if they're sport models but still I think VC has more versatile pieces.
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2012, 08:49 AM   #9
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
tough choice.

there are pieces i'd prefer VC and there are ones i like in the AP range.

between RO and Overseas, i'd go with the Overseas any day of the week, and twice on Sundays
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2012, 10:17 AM   #10
DD GT3 RD
"TRF" Member

Love both but love the low key OVERSEAS. Clean, great history to the brand and less ostentatious.

Dual Time on strap and bracelet

Gold Chrono

and NEW GOLD PERP CALENDAR w/ Chrono
DD GT3 RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2012, 11:47 AM   #11
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I'd get the AP for its in-house 3120 movement. While the dual time feature is nice, I can't get past the fact that a manifacture with such a proud heritage like VC uses the JLC cal889 movement.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2012, 12:46 PM   #12
tomato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM & AP
I think both are great brands. I personally feel that AP has a more iconic, recognizable design in the royal oak lines. I have no personal experience with VCs, but I sure like my AP.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2012, 01:21 PM   #13
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
They are both equally amazing!!!

Audemars Piguet along with Vacheron Constanting and Patek Philippe form what is known as the 'Holy Trinity of Watchmaking'. Can't go wrong with either but I personally prefer AP all the way.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2012, 03:10 PM   #14
DD GT3 RD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I'd get the AP for its in-house 3120 movement. While the dual time feature is nice, I can't get past the fact that a manifacture with such a proud heritage like VC uses the JLC cal889 movement.
nothing wrong with that, if its a personal preference thats fine. But one of the most sought after AP's, the 15202 has a JLC movement and a movement that is regarded as one of the best. They did buy the rights to it but it is JLC.
DD GT3 RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2012, 03:19 PM   #15
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Ok looks like good for both sides.....luckily i have some time to decide.

I have to say I really like the AP that Capote mentioned.....but the Vc on the strapp DD GT3 posted is sexy as hell.

Love all the input so far.....this is gonna be one fun hunt!
Old 3 February 2012, 03:47 PM   #16
Dickson Lim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The AP RO Dual Time is also using JLC cal889 movement too. However, before JLC is being sold to Richemont, AP did own 40% of JLC. Hence, that make sense for the older models to use JLC movements. Just to clarify.
Old 3 February 2012, 04:07 PM   #17
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Worldtimer
I am glad you started this thread mainly because you are talking about my grails. I would love to get an AP RO Dual Time with the blue dial or the VC Dual Time with the black dial. Been stuck between the two for a very long time. Good thing is I wont be purchasing one for a long long long while. Recently though I am more into the VC than the AP. Reason being is that you see a lot of AP RO's out there, while the VC Overseas is more scarce. Both are great watches, I mean AP is fantastic, but I believe I would go with the VC. The dial looks great I love the little moon on the second time indicator, the bracelet with the cross inlets is fabulous. You cant go wrong either way! You just have to do a lot of soul searching, personally however, I'd go with the VC, haven't seen many VC's around here, to me another plus as it makes you as the individual a rare breed.
Old 3 February 2012, 05:40 PM   #18
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD View Post
nothing wrong with that, if its a personal preference thats fine. But one of the most sought after AP's, the 15202 has a JLC movement and a movement that is regarded as one of the best. They did buy the rights to it but it is JLC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickson Lim View Post
The AP RO Dual Time is also using JLC cal889 movement too. However, before JLC is being sold to Richemont, AP did own 40% of JLC. Hence, that make sense for the older models to use JLC movements. Just to clarify.
I have nothing against JLC movements. Many fine brands use their movements and I happen to love my JLCs. It's more bewilderment that VC has not developed their own dual time movement. It's well within their capabilities.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2012, 07:16 PM   #19
Dickson Lim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have nothing against JLC movements. Many fine brands use their movements and I happen to love my JLCs. It's more bewilderment that VC has not developed their own dual time movement. It's well within their capabilities.
It is surely within their capabilities, however they may consider the cost associated with the R&D to be way more beyond the sale. One day, it will come.
Old 3 February 2012, 08:07 PM   #20
BKKJake
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
As a brand I prefer VC over AP, but in the sport watch department it has to be the Royal Oak. If you like the dual time OS you should check out the RO dual time with the same dial layout.

Beautiful but 39mm, correct? I think the VC is 42. That may make a difference to him.
BKKJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2012, 02:02 AM   #21
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Sorry guys, I'm going with VC here. At this point of horological history, they're becoming much more exclusive, which is the point. The repair costs aren't ridiculous as with AP, more models with less variations is a huge plus also. I just don't get the idea of building a brand around one model, such as Big Bang or Offshore (yes, I am putting them in one category). Furthermore, I am disliking how AP is beginning to sell out their name to rappers and basketball players. You'll never see a Breguet Jay-Z, rest assured. The Offshore Chronos are the same watches in different costumes, and to me it is getting old.

Now to VC - the oldest running manufacture that really stays true to its heritage. The Overseas line is an absolute stunner - especially the Deep Streams... Covers an incredible range of price-points and complication levels. Nowadays is a much better seller than the Offshore, and is getting harder and harder to locate at a discount. VC is beginning to align itself with PP, in my opinion. And the fact that the ENTIRE production for 2012 has been entirely sold-out speaks volumes about its desirability.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2012, 02:24 AM   #22
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

AP gets my vote. I do agree with what Greg said about their image at times though. Too many SE's being released...
Old 4 February 2012, 02:43 AM   #23
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Greg...as always your take on things is very appreciated...and the point made about AP's marketing their name....Thanks bud!
Old 4 February 2012, 03:13 AM   #24
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
and I do truly hope I didn't offend the many AP owners here - and if I did, I am sincerely sorry - but if we all agreed on everything, this would be a very mundane place. Plus we were discussing the current state of the brands, and AP has been/will be here for a long time. Brands do reinvent themselves. Hell, early 80's was a very difficult time for VC - but look a them now.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2012, 03:57 AM   #25
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
and I do truly hope I didn't offend the many AP owners here - and if I did, I am sincerely sorry - but if we all agreed on everything, this would be a very mundane place. Plus we were discussing the current state of the brands, and AP has been/will be here for a long time. Brands do reinvent themselves. Hell, early 80's was a very difficult time for VC - but look a them now.
I am so very offended!!! Hahahaha

As much as I have always been a big fan of AP (I currently own several pieces and have owned over eight different ones in the past) I have to agree with you Greg about what they have been doing with the Offshore line and relying on celebrity endorsements that are really unnecessary. That's the reason why the pieces that I like from them, are the ones that stay true to the brand equity and soul of Audemars Piguet.

In my opinion pieces like the AP RO ref. 5402, the RO OO 15721ST, the 15300, the 15202 and the new Jumbo 40th anniversary will continue to be timeless and classics.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2012, 04:29 AM   #26
LAJM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
This is a very good thread for learning about both brands....thanks everybody
LAJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2012, 05:36 AM   #27
TSW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not offended at all buddy
But speaking the truth VC would't exist if it wasn't for Richemont and for a huge market in China.

AP Owners Club
Old 4 February 2012, 05:42 AM   #28
TSW
"TRF" Member

Some models from VC is very much on my long list of pieces i'd like to add to my collection.

Such as the Ti Overseas Chrono, and the absolutely stunning 1921....among many others really

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vacheron.JPG (84.3 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg VCSKEL.JPG (84.0 KB, 294 views)

AP Owners Club
Old 4 February 2012, 11:41 AM   #29
93 Turbo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex.Tudor.PAM
I'm a huge VC Overseas Ti fan. The AP's are very nice, but not my cup of tea.

I was fortunate enough to hold Dalip's AP RO diver at the Perth GTG late last year, didn't put it on because we know what happens afterwards.

Mike, (Kilyung) thanks for the info ref the dual time using a JLC mvt, I liken this to Rolex using a Zenith mvt in the earlier Daytona.

Greg, (Mosco) what sort of price are the VC Ti Overseas daultime, preowned commanding, or the standard OS Ti without the dual time complication? I celebrate my half century in just over 2 years. The VC is leading the new 116570 as a present to self at this stage.

Cheers Jules
93 Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2012, 03:17 PM   #30
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Sorry guys, I'm going with VC here. At this point of horological history, they're becoming much more exclusive, which is the point. The repair costs aren't ridiculous as with AP, more models with less variations is a huge plus also. I just don't get the idea of building a brand around one model, such as Big Bang or Offshore (yes, I am putting them in one category). Furthermore, I am disliking how AP is beginning to sell out their name to rappers and basketball players. You'll never see a Breguet Jay-Z, rest assured. The Offshore Chronos are the same watches in different costumes, and to me it is getting old.

Now to VC - the oldest running manufacture that really stays true to its heritage. The Overseas line is an absolute stunner - especially the Deep Streams... Covers an incredible range of price-points and complication levels. Nowadays is a much better seller than the Offshore, and is getting harder and harder to locate at a discount. VC is beginning to align itself with PP, in my opinion. And the fact that the ENTIRE production for 2012 has been entirely sold-out speaks volumes about its desirability.
As much as I love AP (and I love them a lot) I agree that the Jay-Z, Shaq, etc branding is quite annoying and bringing the brand down. Other than that their style, fit, finish is top notch.

But I am also hoping to own a VC soon.
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote