The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 April 2012, 03:01 AM   #31
Actsulb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II (Coke)
I always want the papers because you never know (in the future) when it may come in handy. Also, It gives me more confidence when it comes with the papers. I don't buy without it.

A Crown for Every Achievement
Actsulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2012, 03:03 AM   #32
jdc
"TRF" Member

Sounds like a good deal, the resale would be effected but as that is reflected in the asking price I would not worry, especially as it sounds like a keeper. What's more important is getting a good watch from a reputable seller at a price you are happy with. Sounds like you have scored, good luck.
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2012, 03:15 AM   #33
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actsulb View Post
I always want the papers because you never know (in the future) when it may come in handy. Also, It gives me more confidence when it comes with the papers. I don't buy without it.
The only way the so called papers with any watch or any modern day Rolex is like you say handy is in the warranty period.After its just a out of date paper or bit of plastic,and having these so called papers do not prove authenticity of any watch. As papers bits of plastic are the easiest today to fake if I seen two watches say both ten years old of similar condition.And one with original but out of date warranty, the other no original expired warranty but has recent RSC service papers I know the one I would choose.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2012, 03:19 AM   #34
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naya72 View Post
I am usually worried about where the watch coming from, that is why I need the paper..
But if I know and trust the seller, I am ok with that..
It's all about the watch-- if you trust the seller, buy the best watch for the money. If you need papers, I can probably print some off for you.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2012, 03:28 AM   #35
coralhound
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs/JLC MCalendar
My local AD and other estate watch suppliers put more value in the orginal box. Usually they have added $200 for an authentic box. I have gotten $250 when I also had the papers too. I guess people like to have the box to house it or present it as a gift. There is usually no question its used...

Any others have similar experiance?
coralhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2012, 03:38 AM   #36
Speed
"TRF" Member

Hey there. If you want "advice" here is what I would "advise."

Authenticity is king. Papers do not guaranty this. Agree with Larry and Padi here.

However...the Internet sales phenomenon that watches without papers will give buyers a reason to bargain a seller down...is a F A C T.

So...papers are important if you want to resell online. Period. The end.

I'll get my coat.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2012, 03:49 AM   #37
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
If it's out of warranty, papers don't mean anything to me
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2012, 04:02 AM   #38
The Wesminator
"TRF" Member

I have just purchased a T Dial 14060 from a reliable seller with no box or papers and it made no difference at all.
I paid the right money IMO, just over £2k and I love it.
Papers are a bonus, not a must have, it's the piece that is important.

The Wes
The Wesminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2012, 09:21 AM   #39
Andelain
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing your 6......
I own six Rolexes and MIGHT be able to cobble together one complete set of papers from them all. I'll even seek out the same watch with no papers to get a better price on it, since I care so little about something that I can't wear anyway.

Andelain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2012, 10:38 AM   #40
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andelain View Post
I own six Rolexes and MIGHT be able to cobble together one complete set of papers from them all. I'll even seek out the same watch with no papers to get a better price on it, since I care so little about something that I can't wear anyway.
Exactly right.

So the point is...there is an expectation for the watch to cost less - without papers.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2012, 11:38 AM   #41
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
If the discount is significant, then take it. You'll still be able to get warranty service provided you keep the receipt from the AD and make sure the style # and serial number is printed on the receipt.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2012, 11:57 AM   #42
kymwatchlog
Banned

it is not about presenting the papers to claim warranty as it is expired anyway. it is more for "completeness".

from my experience at RSC, even the watch technicians can't say for sure if it is a 100% authentic rolex. they told me there are so many parts so many small screws in a watch, how to ensure evrything is authentic? not possible. so they just look "overall". without papers and with that verification chit are equally useless to me.

Say i go into RSC today, they checked my rolex and it is genuine, then they give me the service chit. i go home, swop a part, and sell the watch with the RSC verification. see the danger?

that is why when i verify my rolex at RSC, they told me it is genuine but at this point of time before i walk out the glass door. outside the glass door, no one can talk about authenticity no more.
kymwatchlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2012, 01:43 PM   #43
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJack View Post
I posted this on another thread yesterday but it's also appropriate here....

Papers only really add value on vintage sets since, back in the day, Rolex's were not that expensive (relatively) and the papers had no known value and therefore were rarely kept.

However, jump forward 30 or 40 years ...... and because vintage Rolex's with a complete set of paperwork are quite difficult to come by and do sell for a premium (often 15% - 20% more than a loose watch) everybody keeps all the paper work and boxes, sales receipts etc on their new watches.

Therefore by default, the paperwork everybody is now keeping and storing safely will have little or no extra value in 10, 20 or 30 years time.

If it aint rare, it aint valuable........

Although it clearly does help to flip a watch quicker than one without all the goodies...... probably because people are falsely attaching future value to them.....
Spot on!

Just a short note to the OP - when you service the watch at a RSC in a couple of years' time, Rolex will give you a 2-year guarantee. That then can serve as a replacement for the missing papers.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2012, 01:47 PM   #44
MY-WATCH
"TRF" Member

papers for me
MY-WATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2012, 01:50 PM   #45
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Papers are worth more than the watch. If you don't have papers throw it away. Wait better yet just send your watch to me and I'll "dispose" of it. IMO if it's out of warranty papers are useless. I love the folks that buy a watch without box and papers then find a box and spend $300 on it to put it in the closet. To elaborate buy the best watch you can from someone you trust. That will mean the best possible situation every time. Don't compromise the watch for papers.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2012, 02:58 PM   #46
superdelsol
"TRF" Member

Watch: your 6.
The box, papers, books, tags, etc. are great if they come with the watch, but I wouldn't turn down a good deal for lack of these accessories.

The only time I placed much importance in the original warranty certificate was when I was looking for a Datejust with factory diamond dial. There is an entire industry built on adding diamonds to Rolex dials, and the warranty certificate is the easiest way to verify that a diamond dial is a Rolex diamond dial. The warranty certificate contains the "style number", serial number, and "dial" description, all of which can be used to authenticate a Rolex diamond dial.
Old 5 April 2012, 07:17 PM   #47
big972
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LN & 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
As you can see, you have opened a can of worms.. So called "papers" are an Internet phenomena. Sellers have learned that people who sit on their couches and buy on the 'Net will pay extra for the papers and boxes that they can pick up anywhere.

Those of us who actually comb the streets, estates, and Dealers know that you simply do not often find watches with "papers", especially not from a Dealer, and they do not add anything to a "non-vintage" purchase except on the Internet.

They also do not prove authenticity - ever.. all they do is give you another item that you need to determine the authenticity of.. You MUST be sure that paper is not counterfeit the same way you MUST determine if the watch is authentic.. one never authenticates the other...

In any event.. sounds to me like you have a good deal from a reputable Dealer to consider..
I really opened up a can of worms I really appreciate the opinions and feedback. With all the information to consider it is much more easier to decide on what to do.. I have decided to negotiate wit the seller.. I don't have any doubts about the watch. I'm just being particular about it as it's pretty brand new, well... from 2010 so you'd expect that it would be complete. Hope I can get it and we agree on price... it's bit of a Mexican stand off. It's being given to me for 8K Aussie dollars but I'm asking for 7.5K due to not being complete... we'll see... I have attached an image of the watch.. I'm also looking at the for sale page.. That got me excited! thanks again guys! hope y'all have a good Easter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DJ2.jpg (25.8 KB, 29 views)
big972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2012, 07:20 PM   #48
mikkolopez
"TRF" Member

It has never been a deal breaker for me before as I had bought authenticated Rolexes even without papers when I was starting out. Though I have let go of my paper-less Rolexes already and focus on maintaining the complete Rolexes.

I have set myself to buying from ADs now because of the added experience of being the first owner of my pieces now. So far so good.
mikkolopez is offline   Reply With Quote