The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Which PP should I pick up next?
5140 G/P 3 10.34%
5960 P (gray) 26 89.66%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 April 2012, 01:20 AM   #1
brian8121
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5960p+6262
Poll: New acquisition input

First, I'd just like to say this: The new TRF Patek forum has the same impact as the Rolex discussion forums. Serious case of what I call "Watch Acquisition Syndrome" (WAS). We all need help and this is the most dysfunctional group therapy session ever.

Anyway, I want to get some input on my next PP purchase.

I'm looking at the following:
* 5140P or J: I fear it is too close in appearance to my 5146P, which I absolutely love and am unlikely to get rid of (among the reasons is the beautiful dial finish/color, unique to that model). But I love the watch for its functionality.

* 5960P (gray dial): A modern PP icon. Beautiful. Some people say, "Well the chronograph function is useless to most. Get a Patek 5205." No. I don't care. I'll use it to time eggs or something.

Champagne problems for sure.

Options I've discarded:
* 5270G: Amazing watch. Totally different price point. Would be difficult to justify to my fiance and to a certain extent, myself. I'm relatively young (32), and something tells me I should purchase this later in life because I want something to look forward to and work for. Plus my fiance wouldn't understand and use the purchase as justification to buy some ridiculous bag on my Amex or something. The my relationship capital balance would be tilted in her favor for a while. And I love watching football on the weekends in the fall.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance, and thanks to our overlord Steve for facilitating this wonderful disease.
brian8121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2012, 01:33 AM   #2
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Given your current Patek I think buying a 5140 wouldn't be such a good idea. It sure is wonderful and the perpetual calendar (as discussed in another thread) is a great feature and a rare thing to find but in the end when you'll look at your watches I believe (or at least that's what I'd think) you'll tell yourself "I've bought two very similar watches".

In all honesty I'd go with the 5960. Sure, the chronograph isn't very useful but the looks of it is simply wonderful and I think the looks of the watch are elegant, simple but also sporty (you could really wear this watch with a casual attire). However, I would respectfully recommend you the rose gold version since you already have a platinum watch. Gold isn't for everybody but I think there's always a place in one's collection for at least one of them. Besides, rose gold has this particular color that makes it look sober and rather unique.

P.S.: The 5270 is a stunning piece, I hope you'll get it when you'll feel you're ready for it!
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2012, 01:47 AM   #3
brian8121
"TRF" Member

Thanks Carl. Love the Airplane quote in your sig. One of my favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post
Given your current Patek I think buying a 5140 wouldn't be such a good idea. It sure is wonderful and the perpetual calendar (as discussed in another thread) is a great feature and a rare thing to find but in the end when you'll look at your watches I believe (or at least that's what I'd think) you'll tell yourself "I've bought two very similar watches".

In all honesty I'd go with the 5960. Sure, the chronograph isn't very useful but the looks of it is simply wonderful and I think the looks of the watch are elegant, simple but also sporty (you could really wear this watch with a casual attire). However, I would respectfully recommend you the rose gold version since you already have a platinum watch. Gold isn't for everybody but I think there's always a place in one's collection for at least one of them. Besides, rose gold has this particular color that makes it look sober and rather unique.

P.S.: The 5270 is a stunning piece, I hope you'll get it when you'll feel you're ready for it!
Old 27 April 2012, 01:52 AM   #4
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian8121 View Post
Thanks Carl. Love the Airplane quote in your sig. One of my favorites.
Without wanting to sound dumb I must say I've heard it in a commercial and found it rather funny!

It was my pleasure to give you my opinion! Of course you can't go wrong with any of those, they are all stunning pieces!
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2012, 01:56 AM   #5
brian8121
"TRF" Member

Not to hijack my own thread, but you have to see it. Brilliant stuff.
Old 27 April 2012, 04:49 AM   #6
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
My vote goes to the 5960P (gray dial). When I purchase a watch it's more for form than function anyway. It should function to the point I can easily read the time, however the rest is form for me.

How does the watch look, how was it designed, what colors are being used, does it capture my imagination.

My eyes are getting older so some smaller dials and other things are harder to see anyway. So all I need is the time, and it's nice to have a day.

But basically their chronographs currently grab my attention the most right now. Their single column chronographs are simply magnificent looking. The bulls eye is very distinct when it comes to Patek. Their other chronographs are amazing looking as well. Would I ever use it the chronograph, probably not, but it looks gorgeous.

So I would get the 5960P.

By the way, if given the choice between platinum and any other precious metal, especially when it comes to Patek, I would more than likely chose platinum. The diamond between the owner and the watch simply is the icing on the cake for me.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2012, 04:59 AM   #7
brian8121
"TRF" Member

Thank you Dan. I'm in the same boat. At the end of the day the chronograph is not a practical complication for me. But I love the engineering behind it, and in this case, the way it's been arranged on the dial.

I think we probably have an answer to my question. Just needed to affirm it. That was quick.
Old 27 April 2012, 05:07 AM   #8
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you Dan. I'm in the same boat. At the end of the day the chronograph is not a practical complication for me. But I love the engineering behind it, and in this case, the way it's been arranged on the dial.

I think we probably have an answer to my question. Just needed to affirm it. That was quick.
Brian, no matter which one you actually chose, I can't wait to see that wrist shot.

Cheers,

Dan

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 April 2012, 07:47 AM   #9
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: All things Patek
definately 5960P

My vote is definately for the 5960P gray dial. Of all of my watches it gets worn the most. It is without a doubt the nicest watch made by any manufacturer at any price IMHO! It works perfectly with shorts, jeans, sport casual or dress attire. My only regret is not buying a blue dial too when they were 15k less.

Warren Buffett
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2012, 07:57 AM   #10
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
5960P for me. It looks and feels amazing when on and one I highly recommend! Either way though you can't lose. I am more of a Chrono person though but to each his own.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2012, 08:17 AM   #11
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
5960P if I had to choose I'm not much of a chrono guy but it just looks great in that form on the dial
Old 27 April 2012, 09:37 AM   #12
brian8121
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone, seems we have a consensus. I'm leaning 5960p, it's been on my radar for a while. Going to try to get to the AD tomorrow after work. Failing that going to check out my friend's blue dial version over the weekend to see how it feels on the wrist. Tried it very briefly before, sat a little tall for my taste. but then so did the iwc port 7 day at first, and ive grown to love that watch. Stay tuned!
Old 27 April 2012, 10:15 AM   #13
Rollie2011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C + Exp 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
5960P if I had to choose I'm not much of a chrono guy but it just looks great in that form on the dial

5960 for sure

John
Submariner C LN
Explorer 42 Polar
Rollie2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2012, 10:39 AM   #14
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone, seems we have a consensus. I'm leaning 5960p, it's been on my radar for a while. Going to try to get to the AD tomorrow after work. Failing that going to check out my friend's blue dial version over the weekend to see how it feels on the wrist. Tried it very briefly before, sat a little tall for my taste. but then so did the iwc port 7 day at first, and ive grown to love that watch. Stay tuned!
I saw the blue dial version in St. Thomas a couple of weeks ago. That's not too bad either Brian.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 April 2012, 09:36 PM   #15
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

I voted for the 5960P.

It's a beautiful piece.
Old 27 April 2012, 10:06 PM   #16
brian8121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
I saw the blue dial version in St. Thomas a couple of weeks ago. That's not too bad either Brian.
I will definitely have a look. Going to try to make it to my AD today, they have a gray dial in stock last I checked. If available, I'll have a look at blue and also the rose gold versions (I do love Patek the look of the RG / opaline dial). In any case I don't think this is something that's going to happen today, I want to give myself a few days to sleep on it.

Thanks again for the input everyone.
Old 27 April 2012, 11:45 PM   #17
rnrmbs
"TRF" Member

5960p.

My GF often asks me if I have a new watch. My answer is always no, I have had this for ages!
Old 28 April 2012, 03:08 AM   #18
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmbs View Post
My GF often asks me if I have a new watch. My answer is always no, I have had this for ages!
I use this line all the time with my wife!! It's a lie of course but she can't tell the difference!
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2012, 03:28 AM   #19
Dickson Lim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I use this line all the time with my wife!! It's a lie of course but she can't tell the difference!
It's normal. They only know black or white dial.
Old 28 April 2012, 11:35 AM   #20
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
5960 gets my second vote. My first vote would be the 5205, but get a Daytona as it will do the trick on the chrono side and saves you some bucks.

Good luck onnyour choice!

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2012, 12:51 PM   #21
paverman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
5960P would be my vote, in fact it was. I went with the blue dial, however.
Make sure you give that one a good look also.
paverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2012, 01:52 AM   #22
Rollie2011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C + Exp 42
Wow, I have to say... I had the blue 5960 on my wrist yesterday... that is the best watch I've ever put on. You are very lucky!

John
Submariner C LN
Explorer 42 Polar
Rollie2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2012, 10:18 PM   #23
Puffy
"TRF" Member

i voted 5140P, i'm not much of a chrono man, unless it's an Omega Speedy Pro (or a mint Paul Newman)
Old 2 May 2012, 12:05 AM   #24
mdtddd2007
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, GS
5960p:-)
mdtddd2007 is offline   Reply With Quote