The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 16 May 2012, 10:44 AM   #1
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
5235g

Greetings TRF,

I was just wondering what were your thoughts on the Patek Philippe 5235G. I know this thread may seem a bit strange but despite being a watch introduced in June 2011 I only noticed it a few weeks ago. It is the brand's first regulator wrist watch and, as far as I'm concerned, probably one of their more special models.

Here is a page showing all the features of this timepiece.

After taking a look at it I thought it would be interesting to make a short list of things I like about this watch as well as things I would like to see on it, I hope some people will join me with this and give me their opinion!

- The regulator is very well displayed to me. I think this feature is very special to see on a watch and, in my opinion, it has been well put with the annual calendar.

- A blue strap is usually a risky move when designing a watch (in my opinion at least) because it isn't very as versatile as a black one (or even a dark brown one). Having said that, I think they did a great job with this particular color and, to me, it fits the markers and hands very well.

- The movement looks very nice on both ways (of course, one can only see the back of it when looking at the watch), I especially like the mini rotor because it helps us to admire the movement much more.

- Being a moonphase indicator fan (I'll never repeat this enough times) I find it surprising that I do not wish to see one on that watch. One would think that it would fit the markers and the strap very well but the only place where I'd see it would be in the second sub dial and, in my opinion, it would make the said sub dial (and the whole dial for that matter) a tad too busy.

- As a continuation of the above point, I'm thinking a day and night indicator on the hour sub dial would have been a great idea. Nothing too fancy but rather a small dot like the one on the 5960.

- The model is currently available in white gold only but I'm thinking a rose gold version wouldn't look bad. The blue features on the dial (which, in my opinion, should be slightly darker) along with such a case and a brown band would make the watch look a bit like the older version of the 5396R.

That's pretty much it for my want-to-be review. It's always harder to analyze and judge a watch you've never seen in person but, as stated, I thought it would be nice to talk about such an unique and special model. As always, feel free to share your thoughts and, of course, to enjoy the pictures below (they aren't mine but they allow you to fully admire the beauty of this timepiece).

On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2012, 10:50 AM   #2
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Definitely unique and interesting Carl. Me being a chrono and calendar guy probably not my style but can see how one would be drawn to it. Great write up and thanks for sharing Carl!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2012, 10:54 AM   #3
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
Definitely unique and interesting Carl. Me being a chrono and calendar guy probably not my style but can see how one would be drawn to it. Great write up and thanks for sharing Carl!
Thank you Ken! I've had a lot of fun thinking about it and writing it up!

I know your passion for chronographs and understand this wouldn't be your favorite but the calendar is quite nice on this one (with the date at 6 o' clock as opposed to the 5960 and 5205), don't you think?

- André Fortin
Old 16 May 2012, 10:59 AM   #4
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post
Thank you Ken! I've had a lot of fun thinking about it and writing it up!

I know your passion for chronographs and understand this wouldn't be your favorite but the calendar is quite nice on this one (with the date at 6 o' clock as opposed to the 5960 and 5205), don't you think?
It does have interesting calendar and I can see again why you are drawn to it.

Ps. I should have expanded my taste above in my post to chrono's and moonphase/calendars.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2012, 11:00 AM   #5
RRY
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn.
PPs are out of my league, but I do lust for them all the time. And while I am a huge fan of moonphase pieces, I find this one absolutely stunning. The brushed white gold and blue combo is so drool inducing!
RRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2012, 11:11 AM   #6
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRY View Post
PPs are out of my league, but I do lust for them all the time. And while I am a huge fan of moonphase pieces, I find this one absolutely stunning. The brushed white gold and blue combo is so drool inducing!
There's only one thing better than brushed gold: a mix of brushed and polished...and this one has it!

- André Fortin
Old 16 May 2012, 11:26 AM   #7
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
I like it just the way it is actually. Nice, simple, and fairly clean. Has the day, month, and date. The design looks really nice actually. I really like the colors they chose. I wouldn't add aa thing.

However my main problem with it is that to much of the watch is way too different than what I am used to. The fact that the hour hand is in a sub dial and the minute is on the large dial for me would make it too hard to tell the time. I would have to look at it longer to figure out the actual time, especially with my older eyes.

Great looking watch though.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2012, 11:35 AM   #8
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
I like it just the way it is actually. Nice, simple, and fairly clean. Has the day, month, and date. The design looks really nice actually. I really like the colors they chose. I wouldn't add aa thing.

However my main problem with it is that to much of the watch is way too different than what I am used to. The fact that the hour hand is in a sub dial and the minute is on the large dial for me would make it too hard to tell the time. I would have to look at it longer to figure out the actual time, especially with my older eyes.

Great looking watch though.
That's probably the biggest problem with regulators, they were actually made to help the precision of a watch but in my humble opinion it must be harder to tell the time (or at least to get used to it, as opposed to a regular watch). Having said that, I think it is such a special display that I would take the time to get used to one just to have one.

As for my review, keep in mind that I love this piece. Perhaps it didn't seem like it but I think this watch looks perfectly fine the way it is, it was more of a little something I wanted to try just for fun, take a watch and see how we could make it look different and discuss the possibilities.

- André Fortin
Old 16 May 2012, 11:39 AM   #9
texex91
"TRF" Member

Carl, I am going to have to excuse myself from this forum for a few minutes.

These past few threads are just mind blowing on the level/quality of watches being shown.

Just solidifies to me why Patek is such a (the) leader in watch making.

Amazing watches.

Period.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2012, 11:42 AM   #10
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's probably the biggest problem with regulators, they were actually made to help the precision of a watch but in my humble opinion it must be harder to tell the time (or at least to get used to it, as opposed to a regular watch). Having said that, I think it is such a special display that I would take the time to get used to one just to have one.

As for my review, keep in mind that I love this piece. Perhaps it didn't seem like it but I think this watch looks perfectly fine the way it is, it was more of a little something I wanted to try just for fun, take a watch and see how we could make it look different and discuss the possibilities.

I understand, but I would keep this one just the way it is. I think it's beuatiful the way it is.

I'm not familiar with regulators or with this watch that much so thanks for posting Carl.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 May 2012, 11:52 AM   #11
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Carl, I am going to have to excuse myself from this forum for a few minutes.

These past few threads are just mind blowing on the level/quality of watches being shown.

Just solidifies to me why Patek is such a (the) leader in watch making.

Amazing watches.

Period.
Indeed, I'm in deep love with the brand and their amazing pieces and I think they're a pillar in the world or horology. You are excused (is that how you say it? ) but please come back soon for we have a lot of other watches to discuss!

Quote:
I understand, but I would keep this one just the way it is. I think it's beuatiful the way it is.

I'm not familiar with regulators or with this watch that much so thanks for posting Carl.
You're welcome Dan, thank you for your opinion as well (it must be left as is indeed, I'm just having way too much imagination)!

...Unless...what if we put a bright pink dial with emerald markers?

- André Fortin
Old 16 May 2012, 11:55 AM   #12
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Indeed, I'm in deep love with the brand and their amazing pieces and I think they're a pillar in the world or horology. You are excused (is that how you say it? ) but please come back soon for we have a lot of other watches to discuss!

You're welcome Dan, thank you for your opinion as well (it must be left as is indeed, I'm just having way too much imagination)!

...Unless...what if we put a bright pink dial with emerald markers?
Stand back and stay far away from the watch Carl.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 May 2012, 11:58 AM   #13
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Stand back and stay far away from the watch Carl.

- André Fortin