The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 June 2012, 04:14 AM   #1
david_ord

Watch: Deep Sea 116660
WBO Panel Reviews Pacquiao Bradley

WBO panel favors Manny Pacquiao in review of Timothy Bradley bout
By Chuck Schilken and Lance Pugmire, Los Angeles Times
June 21, 2012, 7:56 a.m.

Manny Pacquiao should have been the winner of his June 9 bout against Timothy Bradley, a five-judge panel assembled by the World Boxing Organization's championship committee unanimously decided after a video review.

WBO President Francisco "Paco" Valcarcel ordered the five-judge review of Pacquiao-Bradley last week while questioning the Nevada State Athletic Commission for not retaining any judges from outside Nevada for the title fight.

Instead, Bradley won that fight -- and Pacquiao's WBO welterweight belt -- by split decision, setting off outrage among many people who saw the bout and thought Pacquiao was the clear winner.

Even with the determination of the panel of judges, the WBO is unable to overturn the outcome of the fight. Pacquiao said Thursday that's fine with him -- he told reporters in the Philippines that he would rather win back the belt in a rematch because otherwise "people may think I just usurped it."

Pacquiao added, "My supporters shouldn't worry. We're going to get that title."

The five unidentified judges on the review panel scored the fight 117-111, 117-111, 118-110, 116-112 and 115-113, all in favor of Pacquiao. At the fight, judge Jerry Roth gave Pacquiao a 115-113 edge, but Duane Ford and C.J. Ross determined Bradley won by the same score.

Ford, has said he believed Bradley gave Pacquiao "a boxing lesson."

The Times' Kevin Baxter scored the fight 117-111 in favor of Pacquiao during round-by-round blog coverage of the bout.

Valcarcel has said that the information garnered from the five judges on the review panel -- from New Jersey, Connecticut, Florida, Pennsylvania and Puerto Rico -- will be used to help persuade the Assn. of Boxing Commissions to bring in judges from outside their states for fights of such magnitude.

Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer told The Times last week he was open to retaining judges from outside Nevada for future bouts, but was skeptical of the WBO post-fight scoring.

"So you're telling me after all this outcry over the decision, you're going to assign judges to re-score the fight while saying you want more judges to be brought to Las Vegas for a fight weekend? How many of these guys do you think will score the fight for Bradley?" Kizer said.

Before Pacquiao's comments about seeking a Bradley rematch, his promoter Bob Arum said he planned to meet with Pacquiao in Los Angeles next week to discuss the fighter's future.

The promoter of Mexico'sJuan Manuel Marquez last week said Marquez is seeking a fourth fight against Pacquiao after three close prior bouts.

Promoter Fernando Beltran said he believes the public is more intrigued with a Marquez bout than a rematch against Bradley.

Here's the link: http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...,7227488.story
david_ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 04:16 AM   #2
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
nothing will come from it though...
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 05:29 AM   #3
david_ord

Watch: Deep Sea 116660
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
nothing will come from it though...
Not with regard to the Pacquiao-Bradley bout.

I'm hoping that in the long run, this leads to increased scrutiny of the judging side of things. Hopefully it leads to establishment of well-defined, objective judging criteria, as well as minimum qualifying requirements for judges. A guy who was a great judge in 1964 may not be a great judge in 2012 because his senses may have altered due to aging. Longer experience doesn't necessarily mean higher mental and sensual sharpness.
david_ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 05:36 AM   #4
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_ord View Post
Not with regard to the Pacquiao-Bradley bout.

I'm hoping that in the long run, this leads to increased scrutiny of the judging side of things. Hopefully it leads to establishment of well-defined, objective judging criteria, as well as minimum qualifying requirements for judges. A guy who was a great judge in 1964 may not be a great judge in 2012 because his senses may have altered due to aging. Longer experience doesn't necessarily mean higher mental and sensual sharpness.
From your mouth to god's ears because judges have been getting it wrong for as long as there has been boxing. Baseball ump's, BB ref's, even the zebra's in FB screw up. It can never be fool proof cause there are always fools involved. JMHO
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 06:15 AM   #5
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

It's over and done. Nevada Boxing commission will never overturn the judges decision. That would create a complete mess with the sport and the sports books in town.

Everyone knows it was wrong, they stand by the decision. Done. I just saved money by never buying tickets again. It's a freakin joke.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 22 June 2012, 06:25 AM   #6
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGERVEGAS View Post
It's a freakin joke.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can say that again.....
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote