The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 5 September 2012, 10:15 AM   #1
Pup
"TRF" Member

Watch: in' The Detectives
Icon14 The "Bullies of Beantown"...Tito Resurrection?!

Alright, all you "Legal Seafood"-eatin', Sox-lovin' FANatics, weigh in on what you think about a possible Tito redux?...I would love it, (Francona, IMHO being one of the greats & wrongfully ushered out), although I don't think it possible for the reasons stated in the following:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/B...rancona-090312

Old 5 September 2012, 11:25 AM   #2
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Geez I don't know mate, I've never been a big fan of basketball...
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2012, 11:32 AM   #3
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Serves them right.

Valentine has kind of always been this way, both as the Met Manager and a Sportscaster. He just was not a good fit especially given the mess they had there.

But the Red Sox were kind of messy last year. Although given his prior performance, I do believe Francona should not have been ousted the way he was.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2012, 12:20 PM   #4
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
I'm sure this will be considered very un-soxy but I'll put it out there that I'm not a fan of Francona and I never have been. I never watched a game and thought 'Oh yeah, their success is due to the outstanding leadership of Tito'.
Sorry. When they were successful it was when they had the right combination of talent and not because Terry molded them into the dream team.
Who here can't remember seeing him rocking in his seat while the game went on without him. I'm sure he's probably the nicest guy in the world and probably a good manager too but IMO not singularly responsible for the Sox successes of the past.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2012, 12:28 PM   #5
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
I'm sure this will be considered very un-soxy but I'll put it out there that I'm not a fan of Francona and I never have been. I never watched a game and thought 'Oh yeah, their success is due to the outstanding leadership of Tito'.
Sorry. When they were successful it was when they had the right combination of talent and not because Terry molded them into the dream team.
Who here can't remember seeing him rocking in his seat while the game went on without him. I'm sure he's probably the nicest guy in the world and probably a good manager too but IMO not singularly responsible for the Sox successes of the past.
True a successful team requires talent, and I'm sure the best manager in the world couldn't go anywhere without it. But you have to admit they did win two world series when he was manager. He was a part of those teams, and it's impossible to say what would have happened had he not been manager.

Yes, it does appears that they had a real melt down last year when he was in charge. But then again they did win two world series when he was in charge as well.

Had some other great manager been in charge they may not have even done that. It's very hard to say how important he was, but they did win and that's what counts.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 5 September 2012, 12:42 PM   #6
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Never say never but not for 5 years or so.

BTW - SOOoo much better out there than Legals - especially local, coastal ;)
Old 5 September 2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Cru Jones

been there, done that. why not ryne sandberg?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2012, 11:17 PM   #8
DatejustRyan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP5712R
Joe Torre FTW!
DatejustRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2012, 11:57 PM   #9
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatejustRyan View Post
Joe Torre FTW!

He'd have to have a grudge against his life to take that job, Ain't happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup View Post
Alright, all you "Legal Seafood"-eatin', Sox-lovin' FANatics, weigh in on what you think about a possible Tito redux?...I would love it, (Francona, IMHO being one of the greats & wrongfully ushered out), although I don't think it possible for the reasons stated in the following:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/B...rancona-090312

Will never happen!

Ownership trashed Tito on the way to firing him, calling him a pill popper and a philanderer, they couldn't toss him out the door quick enough. Turns out that he had a right to be a pill popper given what he had to deal with behind close doors. This team is a bunch of unlikable cry-babies!

Anyway the team made a big move that will help the bottom line and the chemistry going forward. Whoever took over for Tito was going to fail cause they had to purge this gaggle of punks.

Going forward they need a young up and coming guy who won't take guff but also won't sell out the babies when their being babies, not Tito and not Bobby V
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2012, 12:07 AM   #10
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post

Will never happen!

Ownership trashed Tito on the way to firing him, calling him a pill popper and a philanderer, they couldn't toss him out the door quick enough. Turns out that he had a right to be a pill popper given what he had to deal with behind close doors. This team is a bunch of unlikable cry-babies!
Anyway the team made a big move that will help the bottom line and the chemistry going forward. Whoever took over for Tito was going to fail cause they had to purge this bunch of punks.

Going forward they need a young up and coming guy who won't take guff but also won't sell out the babies when their being babies, not Tito and not Bobby V
Wow wasn't aware of the first one, and I know you sure got that last comment right. Or at least from what I have seen so far.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 6 September 2012, 12:31 AM   #11
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Wow wasn't aware of the first one, and I know you sure got that last comment right. Or at least from what I have seen so far.

typical red sox keepin' it classy!

Marital woes, pain medications cited as issues with Francona

Terry Francona was distracted by marital issues and his use of pain medication last season, a team source told the Boston Globe, an allegation the former Red Sox manager denied.

"It makes me angry that people say these things because I've busted my (butt) to be the best manager I can be," Francona said when the Globe presented him with their findings. "I wasn't terribly successful this year, but I worked harder and spent more time at the ballpark this year than I ever did."

Francona's eight-year tenure with the Red Sox came to an end earlier this month in what has been called a mutual decision. The team declined to exercise an option on Francona's contract following Boston's historic September collapse in which the Red Sox went 7-20 and failed to make the playoffs.

Francona has been separated from his wife, Jacque, this year.

According to the Globe, "team sources" also had concerns that Francona's performance may have been affected by his use of pain medication. Francona, who has had nearly 20 surgeries on his knees, has used pain medication for many years. He told the newspaper he used painkillers after knee surgery last October and used them during the season to relieve the discomfort of doctors draining blood from his knee at least five times.

Francona told the newspaper that he consulted with the team's internist, Dr. Larry Ronan, during spring training after one of his children expressed concern about a pill bottle in his hotel room. "I went and saw the proper people and it was not an issue," Francona said. "It never became an issue, and anybody who knew what was going on knows that.''

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-s...-with-francona
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2012, 12:23 PM   #12
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Low blow.

Win for us, and we'll treat you like *****.

Bad form.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 6 September 2012, 03:28 PM   #13
Pup
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post
Geez I don't know mate, I've never been a big fan of basketball...
That's okay, Carl, you still have, uh, um,.....curling!
Old 6 September 2012, 03:29 PM   #14
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's okay, Carl, you still have, uh, um,.....curling!
Oh...yes hum...curling...

- André Fortin
Old 6 September 2012, 03:39 PM   #15
Pup
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post

Will never happen!

Anyway the team made a big move that will help the bottom line and the chemistry going forward. Whoever took over for Tito was going to fail cause they had to purge this gaggle of punks.

Great stuff, Marc! ....had no idea! I was actually trying to draw you and some other Sox "locals" out into the open to pick up gems like this....stuff the rest of us Sox nutcases don't hear about without some serious diggin'. Moreover, I reluctantly agree. As much as I would want it to work with Tito, for the reasons you've stated, I think a "do-over" would be out of the question...from Francona's perspective as well. Enjoyed all the comments posted above...interesting stuff, well, to a Sox nut anyway!
Old 6 September 2012, 03:45 PM   #16
Pup
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post
Oh...yes hum...curling...
...and you, my friend, never cease to amaze! Is there anything on the Internet that you DON'T have at your fingertips as the source of a highjack??!
Old 6 September 2012, 03:50 PM   #17
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
...and you, my friend, never cease to amaze! Is there anything on the Internet that you DON'T have at your fingertips as the source of a highjack??!

...Close enough if you ask me!

- André Fortin
Old 6 September 2012, 04:13 PM   #18
Pup
"TRF" Member

Quote:
True a successful team requires talent, and I'm sure the best manager in the world couldn't go anywhere without it. But you have to admit they did win two world series when he was manager. He was a part of those teams, and it's impossible to say what would have happened had he not been manager.

Yes, it does appears that they had a real melt down last year when he was in charge. But then again they did win two world series when he was in charge as well.

Had some other great manager been in charge they may not have even done that. It's very hard to say how important he was, but they did win and that's what counts.
x2....especially when he presided over the first team EVER to win an LCS after being down 3-0 in a best of 7 series...AND when that came against the "hated", (at least by "us"), Yankees...AND when he followed that up with a 4-0 WS win in that year, 2004,....AND when he followed that up with a 4-0 WS win in 2007, thereby preserving a perfect 8-0 record in the World Series when the Curse of the Bambino was lifted after 3/4ths of a Century. Hard to let go when it felt so good after soooooo long!
Old 6 September 2012, 04:16 PM   #19
Pup
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Low blow.

Win for us, and we'll treat you like *****.

Bad form.
....Agree!
Old 6 September 2012, 04:20 PM   #20
Pup
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
typical red sox keepin' it classy!

Marital woes, pain medications cited as issues with Francona

Terry Francona was distracted by marital issues and his use of pain medication last season, a team source told the Boston Globe, an allegation the former Red Sox manager denied.

"It makes me angry that people say these things because I've busted my (butt) to be the best manager I can be," Francona said when the Globe presented him with their findings. "I wasn't terribly successful this year, but I worked harder and spent more time at the ballpark this year than I ever did."

Francona's eight-year tenure with the Red Sox came to an end earlier this month in what has been called a mutual decision. The team declined to exercise an option on Francona's contract following Boston's historic September collapse in which the Red Sox went 7-20 and failed to make the playoffs.

Francona has been separated from his wife, Jacque, this year.

According to the Globe, "team sources" also had concerns that Francona's performance may have been affected by his use of pain medication. Francona, who has had nearly 20 surgeries on his knees, has used pain medication for many years. He told the newspaper he used painkillers after knee surgery last October and used them during the season to relieve the discomfort of doctors draining blood from his knee at least five times.

Francona told the newspaper that he consulted with the team's internist, Dr. Larry Ronan, during spring training after one of his children expressed concern about a pill bottle in his hotel room. "I went and saw the proper people and it was not an issue," Francona said. "It never became an issue, and anybody who knew what was going on knows that.''

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-s...-with-francona
Dang, Cru!....wow, all the way from Paris! Shouldn't you be a Rangers fan?! (Oops, my bad!...France, not Texas!)
Old 6 September 2012, 04:26 PM   #21
Pup
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
Never say never but not for 5 years or so.

BTW - SOOoo much better out there than Legals - especially local, coastal ;)
Interesting thought....time (AND money), heals all wounds, eh?

Ha! about Legal...last time I ate there was 1989, and even then, I wondered what all the "buzz" was about.
Old 6 September 2012, 08:44 PM   #22
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Quote:
x2....especially when he presided over the first team EVER to win an LCS after being down 3-0 in a best of 7 series...AND when that came against the "hated", (at least by "us"), Yankees...AND when he followed that up with a 4-0 WS win in that year, 2004,....AND when he followed that up with a 4-0 WS win in 2007, thereby preserving a perfect 8-0 record in the World Series when the Curse of the Bambino was lifted after 3/4ths of a Century. Hard to let go when it felt so good after soooooo long!

He did all that?
No, he had a talented bunch of 'misfits' who drank and partied before the games. They were unruly and did what they wanted and somehow meshed well and won games. He didn't control the team. He COUDN'T control the team (Manny being Manny - LOL). He rode the wave.
People tell me all the time that I don't give him enough credit but I still say he got lucky and landed in the right place at the right time and, by doing virtually nothing, earned a great reputation and made a great name for himself.
Then people tell me that, by doing nothing, he managed the team just as it should have been.
Man, there is just no wrong answer is there? I call those people that tell me that 'Enablers'.
Someone always mentions Joe Torre. Good idea. It won't be him but maybe someone LIKE him is what we need. Someone who manages, not just sits there on the bench, rocking, then when public opinion gets hot, starts a random, meaningless fight with the umps to get himself thrown out in an effort to build team spirit (or get himself out of the dugout/hot seat). Nobody did it better than Tito. Sacrificial lamb. We don't need a manager who's a lamb.
Anyway, I like the Red Sox team, but I prefer the Yankees managers.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2012, 04:17 AM   #23
Pup
"TRF" Member

...understood Bill.

Now to add spice to the mix, check out Bobby V. "going nuclear" TODAY in a WEEI Boston Radio interview, where if he was in the studio, he would have punched the radio interviewer "right in the mouth"!! (Was asked about being late and if he had checked out already). PLEASE NOTE, when you click on the link below, you have to then click on the Valentine interview in this article's heading (it'll be self-explanatory when you pull it up)...otherwise you'll have to subscribe to the WEEI blog to hear it and see excerpts...

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/ar...fsrc=foxsports

Old 7 September 2012, 04:33 AM   #24
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
...understood Bill.

Now to add spice to the mix, check out Bobby V. "going nuclear" TODAY in a WEEI Boston Radio interview, where if he was in the studio, he would have punched the radio interviewer "right in the mouth"!! (Was asked about being late and if he had checked out already). PLEASE NOTE, when you click on the link below, you have to then click on the Valentine interview in this article's heading (it'll be self-explanatory when you pull it up)...otherwise you'll have to subscribe to the WEEI blog to hear it and see excerpts...

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/ar...fsrc=foxsports

Have you checked out?

Don't really care for Bobby V, but he was baited and he fell for it.

Too bad more people aren't mad at the reporter.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons