The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 October 2012, 05:35 AM   #1
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ - Need Sub Bad
Explorer II - A Real Working Watch

Today we had a work party at our lake to bring in some major floating docks for the winter. Guys in the water, swinging sledge hammers, working overtime with pipe wrenches, etc etc.

So I'm waist deep in the water with my G-Shock on, when the guy next to his windbreaker sleeve creeps up and what is he wearing?

A black dial Explorer II. He's not worried about the watch in the least.

Gotta love the toughness of the watch and the confidence his owner showed in wearing it to this major work party.

Sweet. Everything Geneva was looking for when they built the piece.
DJJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2012, 05:49 AM   #2
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
At the end of the day, the Rolex will hold-up much better than a G-Shock.

Unless, of course, you can't handle a scratch or three on your precious Rolex (not "you"...just saying).

Cool story!

Commissioner of WEIRD POLICE , Badge # ecsub44
ecsub44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2012, 06:59 AM   #3
Robbie68
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bond 60th
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsub44 View Post
At the end of the day, the Rolex will hold-up much better than a G-Shock.

Unless, of course, you can't handle a scratch or three on your precious Rolex (not "you"...just saying).

Cool story!
Not a chance, there are numerous videos of G Shocks undergoing treatment that no mechanical watch could withstand e.g. Dropped off a ten story building on to concrete without a problem, used as an ice hockey puck, run over by a ten ton truck. I love mechanical watches but in terms of ultimate durability they can't hold a candle to a G. Now in terms of desirability.............
Robbie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2012, 07:24 AM   #4
will hung
"TRF" Member

I haven't removed my 16570 since buying it over 2 months ago, and there has been a lot of rough handling in that time.

Really cool story though.
will hung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2012, 07:58 AM   #5
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie68 View Post
Not a chance, there are numerous videos of G Shocks undergoing treatment that no mechanical watch could withstand e.g. Dropped off a ten story building on to concrete without a problem, used as an ice hockey puck, run over by a ten ton truck. I love mechanical watches but in terms of ultimate durability they can't hold a candle to a G. Now in terms of desirability.............
I'm talking about relatively "normal" abuse incurred upon a human's arm during some activity. The OP didn't say they were jumping off of a 10 story building or smashing each other's arms with hockey sticks. I'm not sure what you do with your watches either.

Scrapes, bangs, tugs, yanks, and torques will "hurt" a SS watch with a sapphire crystal MUCH LESS than a plastic watch with a plastic crystal. Dragging a Sub across a brick will do less damage than dragging a G-Shock. And the Oyster bracelet (and corresponding springbars) are about a billion times stronger than a G-Schock.

Old 8 October 2012, 09:25 AM   #6
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Thats what he bought it for, to wear. I like the stories like this, where a guy uses his watch and doesn't worry about a scratch along the way. Like the commercial divers who have to replace bracelets when they are ground up from years of muck and grit chewing them up.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2012, 09:55 AM   #7
z32turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Varies
Quote:
I'm talking about relatively "normal" abuse incurred upon a human's arm during some activity. The OP didn't say they were jumping off of a 10 story building or smashing each other's arms with hockey sticks. I'm not sure what you do with your watches either.

Scrapes, bangs, tugs, yanks, and torques will "hurt" a SS watch with a sapphire crystal MUCH LESS than a plastic watch with a plastic crystal. Dragging a Sub across a brick will do less damage than dragging a G-Shock. And the Oyster bracelet (and corresponding springbars) are about a billion times stronger than a G-Schock.
I don't know last time I threw myself off a ten story building I was wrestling a Hockey player on the way down and when we landed we were run over by a dump truck. He was wearing a G Shock and I was wearing my Rolex. Both fared pretty well but we were in the Hospital for months. 

Sorry I couldn't help myself. This thread made me laugh. 

Instagram @z32turbo
z32turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2012, 10:02 AM   #8
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Dock worker wearing a Rolex...is the end nigh?

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2012, 10:04 AM   #9
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
Don't agree, at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie68 View Post
G Shocks are nice, cheap, disposable watches-- sometimes they last for years and sometimes they last for months. When they break, you throw them away, cuz there is almost no fixing them. When two of my sons went in the service, I gave them pre-owned Exp 2's. The older one still likes a Pathfinder when he's deployed because of the compass, altimeter, etc., but his first one didn't make it a year.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2012, 12:45 PM   #10
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ - Need Sub Bad
I agree a Rolex Oyster Strap is tougher than the G-Shock's band.

They are tough but in the end disposable. I paid more for my 1 1/4 links for my DJ than I paid for the whole G-Shock watch !

Rolex sport models are tough as nails. So are the DJs but I couldn't bear the inevitable scratches that would follow if I wore mine in manual labor.
DJJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2012, 12:51 PM   #11
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Very cool!
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2012, 12:56 PM   #12
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
I take off my watches before I go to work. Just makes sense for me.

Love my Casio Pathfinder when I'm hiking as it has altimeter and compass built in, and if I scratch it on a rock.... who cares. Both watches have a place and purpose.

George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2012, 12:58 PM   #13
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by z32turbo View Post
I don't know last time I threw myself off a ten story building I was wrestling a Hockey player on the way down and when we landed we were run over by a dump truck. He was wearing a G Shock and I was wearing my Rolex. Both fared pretty well but we were in the Hospital for months. 

Sorry I couldn't help myself. This thread made me laugh. 

Me too. Not the G-Shock debate again....I'll use the patented Speed response :groan:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcbbrown View Post
G Shocks are nice, cheap, disposable watches-- sometimes they last for years and sometimes they last for months. When they break, you throw them away, cuz there is almost no fixing them. When two of my sons went in the service, I gave them pre-owned Exp 2's. The older one still likes a Pathfinder when he's deployed because of the compass, altimeter, etc., but his first one didn't make it a year.

You must be talking about aftermarket/fake Gshock's. Most G's are easily rebuildable when they "break".....I was in the Army for many years and have never seen anyone's G break......ever. If you put a GW-5000-1jf against ANY watch in a toughness test, I wouldn't bet against it.

handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2012, 02:54 PM   #14
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
Last time i bought a SD from a forum seller which fogged up under a running tap, the mother of all ironies. Returned it the next day. True story.

They maybe from Geneva, but nothing's for sure with Rolex.

just sayin.
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2012, 03:04 PM   #15
Watchonisto
Banned

Watch: AP, ROLEX, PP, PAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Dock worker wearing a Rolex...is the end nigh?
Watchonisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2012, 12:32 AM   #16
Robbie68
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bond 60th
Quote:

I wasn't suggesting these tests replicated actual wear, they are just an extreme example of the abuse the watches can take. I have read countless threads that start with..... Dropped my Rolex on a tiled floor and it has stopped......
I notice you were a Sub are you regularly at a depth of 300m or is it just good to know that it is over engineered and you don't have to take it off when you get in the bath? Watch those tiles when you get out though!
Robbie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2012, 04:05 AM   #17
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

If I could pay less for a Sub that has a lower depth rating...I surely would. Until then, I'll keep wearing the most robust watch (when on the wrist) that I can.

Old 9 October 2012, 04:10 AM   #18
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
great to see the watches being used as they should!