The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 16 February 2012, 07:41 AM   #1
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
The Dynamic Omega

Unique... funky... and innovative; a classic or a footnote?

After searching this forum for the better part of my lunch hour, I’m certain of at least one thing: hardly anybody talks about the Dynamic. In the 1970s it reigned as one of Omega's best-selling time pieces; an Omega flagship that captured the spirit of that decadent cocaine-using, disco-dancing, lapel-wearing decade. I can only imagine the ridicule one must have endured by wearing one of those conformist "establishment" watches (picture Rolex explorer) while dancing at Studio 54. You either wore a forward-looking watch like the Dynamic or you were a narc. But 40 years later, the Dynamic seems to be all but forgotten; tragic casualties of fashion like its much maligned bell-bottomed brethren. It's taken a back seat in the Omega mini-van, if not being kicked out of it altogether, for the likes of its historic sibling Moon Watch, the (now 007-endorsed) Seamaster, and the ever-elegant Constellation. Begging the question: Why?

It's not as if the Dynamic was a misfire to the Omega-brand concept like "Pepsi Clear" was to Pepsi or "New Coke" was to Coca-Cola. From the early part of its history, Omega has always been innovative and unorthodox in its design. Indeed, the Dynamic's creative elliptical shape stemmed from an advanced study about the anatomy of the wrist and especially the oval zone on which the wristwatch actually rests. In short, it was ergonomically conceived while literally dripping with style. Moreover, the Dynamic had a long successful run over the course of 30 years - going through several stylistic iterations since the first one came to market in 1967. So it gained plenty of brand equity. And yet, it is not a celebrated classic... In fact, it’s barely a footnote in vintage forums.

I don't believe this to be the case just because of its funky design or the fact that it has been discontinued. Clearly, the Dynamic is no more funky than the Heuer Monaco - its square case, baby blue dial with white sub dials, and red hands make it look as if it is a toy; not a sophisticated time piece. Likewise, the Dynamic is no more period specific than the Rolex Daytona exotic "Paul Newman" dial whose blank cream dial with starkly contrasting black sub dials look like it belonged in a sci-fi space movie (a 1970s hallmark). Those two other watches are two of the most prized pieces by vintage collectors. Not that I'd put the Dynamic on the same level as either of those pieces, but it certainly illustrates the point that funky and innovative can turn regal and classic even from a decade that may never be thought of as "cool" ever... ever again.

With that in mind, I'm not sure I can offer any opinion as to why the Dynamic appears to be an afterthought in the vintage world. I like them; I like their funk; I like their uniqueness; I like their musk and when this is all over, I'm going to get an apartment and move in with one (sorry... I couldn't help the Ron Burgundy "Anchor Man" reference - speaking of making uncool time periods cool again!). They truly capture a time in watch making when stylistic bounds were stretched and contemporary liberties were taken. They exude almost everything one would want in a vintage watch: great brand name, looks of a previous era, and historical innovation. Maybe its just that they just don't have any Hollywood glamour; like any Paul Newmans or Steve McQueens to associate with... Regardless of the reason, I for one contend the Dynamic a classic - worthy of any vintage collection!

Can I get a witness?
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 04:59 AM   #2
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Does anyone have pics they'd like to share?
Old 17 February 2012, 07:26 AM   #3
Ruche
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the read. This is how I feel about the Mark II.
Ruche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 07:34 AM   #4
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
This one got flipped a long time ago but here's a shot of the one I had. The crown was a pain to use and the lack of strap options made it a tough sell to stay in my collection.

Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 07:50 AM   #5
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Very articulate proposal. Looking forward to the responses from the Omega fans.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 08:13 AM   #6
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
ive a mk2 dynamic , the non chrono one , ive sugested them a few times as a sub alternative , simple classy pilots style watch .
very overlooked now .
by the way , if anyone has a bracelet and or 870 end links i could do with some.
im sure there will bee pics along soon , they are a classic , mk1 is not unlike an acutron .
looking forward to the pics.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 10:43 AM   #7
WJGESQ
Banned

Retro yes. Classic? Not so sure.

But I have never even heard of these?
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2012, 08:07 AM   #8
mondodec
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Connies
Ultimately a classic, in my opinion, because of a number of design firsts and its status as the first collection that purposefully placed design as an equal partner to quality and horological excellence at OMega.

I'm not sure the Dynamic is spending much time as a wallflower. There is quite an active collecting community of these models, particularly Gen1 with the mid-500 series calibres.

Over the last three years prices for sharp examples have risen about 40%, so I think, as you've rightly pointed out, this late 1960s design deserves and indeed is getting attention.

Here's a couple of mine - Gen 1 & Gen 2

And here's a piece I wrote about them.

Cheers

Desmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
Does anyone have pics they'd like to share?

mondodec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2012, 08:28 AM   #9
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
nice pics
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2012, 09:39 PM   #10
Baronrojo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
These are interesting and nice...I don't know how long they were made but I'm guessing no more than a few years. A pretty unique addition to a collection.
Baronrojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 05:51 AM   #11
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondodec View Post
Ultimately a classic, in my opinion, because of a number of design firsts and its status as the first collection that purposefully placed design as an equal partner to quality and horological excellence at OMega.

I'm not sure the Dynamic is spending much time as a wallflower. There is quite an active collecting community of these models, particularly Gen1 with the mid-500 series calibres.

Over the last three years prices for sharp examples have risen about 40%, so I think, as you've rightly pointed out, this late 1960s design deserves and indeed is getting attention.

Here's a couple of mine - Gen 1 & Gen 2

And here's a piece I wrote about them.

Cheers

Desmond

Thanks for sharing your article - it was a great read!
Old 8 May 2012, 04:18 PM   #12
ujj
"TRF" Member

This is about 35-40 years old....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OmegaGeneve.jpg (65.6 KB, 241 views)
ujj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 11:53 PM   #13
trelos
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex ref 1500
Great read!
Here's mine, fresh from service new crystal, hands and mainspring. I wouldn't let them touch the dial!

trelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2012, 12:49 AM   #14
Mais_Um
"TRF" Member

Dynamics

Cheers
Mais_Um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2012, 12:59 AM   #15
mondodec
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Connies
Superb and really looks great with that blue checked cuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trelos View Post
Great read!
Here's mine, fresh from service new crystal, hands and mainspring. I wouldn't let them touch the dial!

mondodec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2012, 02:52 AM   #16
dieseldragon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω & ♛
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
ive a mk2 dynamic , the non chrono one , ive sugested them a few times as a sub alternative , simple classy pilots style watch .
very overlooked now .
by the way , if anyone has a bracelet and or 870 end links i could do with some.
im sure there will bee pics along soon , they are a classic , mk1 is not unlike an acutron .
looking forward to the pics.
Got any pics?? Sounds interesting.
Old 24 October 2012, 08:51 AM   #17
Transient
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I have never heard of the Dynamic but these pics look gorgeous!!!
Transient is offline   Reply With Quote