The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 28 November 2007, 02:08 AM   #1
rolio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Birdies
Omega issues??

Has anyone had any issues with the performance of their Omegas? Thinking about buying a daily doer, but have read online some dissatisfaction with some Omega models and the service these individuals got after the purchase was made. Any personal experience would be appreciated. Models as suggestions would be great!

rolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2007, 02:49 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolio View Post
Has anyone had any issues with the performance of their Omegas? Thinking about buying a daily doer, but have read online some dissatisfaction with some Omega models and the service these individuals got after the purchase was made. Any personal experience would be appreciated. Models as suggestions would be great!

OMEGAs are probably the best value for money out there....and good discounts are available.

Get yourself a SEAMASTER - either the professional model or the GMT. The GMT is a superb time piece and is available with black or white dial.

Check it out at your nearest OMEGA AD....you'll be blown away with the quality, workmanship and the finish.

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2007, 02:51 AM   #3
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
Only issue I've heard of is QC problems on the new chronographs. The 33xx series movements, introduced 2 or 3 years ago, have been plagued with chrono reset problems. I've heard that they've fixed the problem, but I'm waiting for a few years before I'll consider buying one.
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2007, 03:57 AM   #4
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
It ran perfectly until Omega serviced the watch.

We purchased a Seamaster Pro for my step-father, and it ran perfectly for 8+ years. When he died, he left it to me, and asked my mom to first have it serviced. Since then (a year ago), the watch has failed three times, and this time it's been with Omega for over two months, with the ETA bumped twice. When I asked on an Omega forum, I was told to avoid sending it to New Jersey, which is where they originally overhauled my watch. Owners recommended using other authorized Omega service centers. So it sounds like there are reliable alternatives to Omega USA in NJ. They sure do make nice looking watches.

Hope that helps.
boa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2007, 03:58 AM   #5
hbbfam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega SMP300
Omega issues??

Issue with Omega is their service centers. I own a two year Seamaster GMT. As it was about to go out of warranty, I sent it in to be serviced and regulated. They are quoting about 14 weeks for the return! I agree it is a great watch and a great value, but service should take about half the time they are quoting.
hbbfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2007, 04:18 AM   #6
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTL View Post
Only issue I've heard of is QC problems on the new chronographs. The 33xx series movements, introduced 2 or 3 years ago, have been plagued with chrono reset problems. I've heard that they've fixed the problem, but I'm waiting for a few years before I'll consider buying one.
A few corrections if you do not mind....
The 33xx was introduced almost 7 years ago, and it only affected some of the 3303 powered Omega Broad Arrow watches.
As far as "plagued", you can count on your hands the amount of problems that have been reported with that. So I would say that using that word is a bit harsh.

Omega has long since fixed that problem, and those days 33xx is considered one of the top 3 chrono movements on the planet, next to the mighty 4130 and Zenith El Primero.

I own a 3301 powered watch, the Seamaster AquaTerra Chronograph, and it has been a bullet proof watch that runs to within 5 seconds a week.
It is almost 3 years old and I use the chrono function daily without ever having any problems.

Just some minor corrections.
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2007, 04:34 AM   #7
mike
"TRF" Member

I have no real issues. The only nit I can pick is the bezel on the SMPs are a bit hard to use with gloves or if wet. The coin edge bezel on the PO is easier for me.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2007, 04:59 AM   #8
CPTL
"TRF" Member

I don't have one of these watches, and I'm no expert. However, I was considering buying an Omega Chrono with one of these movements, and I did a lot of online research. I personally read at least 50 accounts of the same reset problem.

http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com...-are-they.html

A few others who seem to know a lot about these watches seem to think the 33xx movements have had systemic problems. In addition to the above post from Chuck Maddox's watch blog (which was one of 87 Google hits for "Omega 33xx chrono reset problem"), I remember a particularly descriptive (and typically condescending) discussion by Nick Hacko in which he basically said only an idiot would buy one with all the reported problems.

I'm not saying anyone is an idiot for buying one.

In fact, the problem appears to have been isolated to the column wheel (or something) and corrected in design modifications. So it's probably all good. I sure hope so, because I want one real bad--I just want to wait another year or two to be sure.
Old 28 November 2007, 05:06 AM   #9
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

Well... I respect Chuck and his knowledge, but he has a hate for everything that is not a Speedmaster Pro Lemania based movement.
He dedicated his life to bashing the 33xx.

So let's say that you found 50 in 7 years of production.
Is that really all that bad?? I guarantee you that EVERY brand out there, whether it is a TV brand, watch brand, dish washer brand, has a MUCH lower reliability record than this.

Look at the white Exp II that Jocke has, and look at the Walmart quality paint job on the hands. Talk about quality control. But would that make you not buy a Rolex? Not at all. It would not stop me... that's for sure.

Nothing mechanical is ever perfect, and no matter how much lab testing you do, you are bound to have things go wrong.

The 33xx has been around for almost a decade, and 99% if the problems have been isolated to 2003 or older Broad Arrows. And out of the 100.000 33xx watches sold since 2000 or 2001, we were able to isolate 50. Look at that from a percentage stand point. You have a higher shot of being stomped by a runaway elephant in NYC than you have of getting a bad 33xx.

Plus... Omega acknowledged the problem ASAP and fixed everything, and extended the warranty.
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2007, 08:53 AM   #10
jhowton

I have two Omegas and have been very happy with both of them. My most accurate watch is my Planet Ocean, it's averaged -.82 seconds per day consistently since I bought it.

I have heard horror stories about Omega USA service, however, you can also send the watch to Omega in Switzerland which is supposed to be superb (although I have no direct experience with either).

My $.02 is that they are very good watches and most ADs will do a 15-20% discount from MSRP which makes them a great value too. They do, however depreciate very quickly.
jhowton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2007, 09:24 AM   #11
Lol-x
Facilitator

Get this model Omega and you will never ever regret it

Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2007, 09:29 AM   #12
gan1hck
"TRF" Member

I just bought a Planet Ocean Chronograph. Very accurate....I was unhappy with the fit and finish of the bezel...the AD immediately ordered me a new watch.

Customer service (at least at my AD) is OUTSTANDING.
gan1hck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2007, 03:57 PM   #13
AGENT4734
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Club Founder
Plant Ocean in for service

I have owned my PO for 5 months and one day I went to wind it and it felt like the crown was grinding when I was winding it. I took it in to my local AD and it havn't seen it for 5 weeks! I was shipped to the Swatch Group for servicing. This really is pissing me off! I am starting to regret my purchase... maybe should have bought the Rolex GMT for $2000 more??? I will keep you guys posted.... OUT.
Rolex DJ TOG 116264
Rolex DJ Roman 126200
AGENT4734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2007, 03:52 AM   #14
timetravel125
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGENT4734 View Post
I have owned my PO for 5 months and one day I went to wind it and it felt like the crown was grinding when I was winding it. I took it in to my local AD and it havn't seen it for 5 weeks! I was shipped to the Swatch Group for servicing. This really is pissing me off! I am starting to regret my purchase... maybe should have bought the Rolex GMT for $2000 more??? I will keep you guys posted.... OUT.
Sorry to hear your problem with your PO. I have an orange bezeled PO. No problems at all. Guess, I am lucky. I love its heft, finish and comfort.

Just be patient, a PO is great watch. Same thing goes with the Rolex GMT.

It's the service, that besets Omega with problems, IMHO.
timetravel125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2007, 06:00 AM   #15
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
I would say that Omega is one of the brands where you get the MOST out of your money!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2007, 03:23 PM   #16
AGENT4734
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Club Founder
No Update As Of Yet

I called my AD and they still have no info about my PO. I agree the Omage is a great value and looks great but it is a little when you buy something and it breaks after a few months. I called to see if they would trade it in for another brand and they were only going to give me a $1829 credit for a 4 month old watch! And charge me $700 off list for a 2005 Sub!!! F That! Tourneau is starting to piss me off !!!
Rolex DJ TOG 116264
Rolex DJ Roman 126200
AGENT4734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2007, 03:54 PM   #17
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Is it the AD that's doing this, or Omega service? That's ridiculous if it's the AD. They sold you a bunk watch (will happen when they produce 700k peices a year), and they should fix the deal. If it's the Omega service center calling the shots, then it's out of the AD's hands.

Still, total crap that they charged you $3k for a lemon, and then want you to take $1800 in trade. You've had the watch 2 months, and the rest of the time it's been in service. $4500 is also waaay too much to pay for a 2005 F serial Sub.
Old 30 November 2007, 10:58 PM   #18
jhowton

You could always contest the charge with your credit card company. They sold you something that didn't work and you returned it, you should just get a full credit. I would at least talk to the AD and tell them that's what you intend to do, it might change their tune a little. That's assuming you paid with a CC. I always use American Express for major ticket purchases because they are really good about this kind of thing.

Just my $.02.
jhowton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2007, 03:15 AM   #19
pilapandet
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II SS
If you live near LA. Then, go to downtown Jewly district to buy your OMEGA. Bring the cash to get better price. Depend how good you can bargan, you can get around 40% of from MSRP.
pilapandet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2007, 04:08 AM   #20
JAD3703
Non-Member

Omega SMP 300M Chrono Diver COSC

I'm on my second Omega COSC SMP 300M Chrono Diver (made the mistake of selling my first one ). Absolutely bullet-proof, extremely reliable, highly accurate and great-looking on the wrist. I could not have asked for a better chrono / diver.

I had a number of issues with my previous Omega, not because of the watch itself (which was as outstanding as its younger brother now on my wrist) but because of Omega Service. Quite frankly, it sucks (at least here in Canada). But that's a separate story.

James

"AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM - "I'll either find a way or make one"
JAD3703 is offline   Reply With Quote