The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 24 November 2012, 04:32 PM   #1
lgking
"TRF" Member

How to identify 90's Speedmaster

A local jeweler has a few 2nd-hand watches for sale, and has this older speedmaster. No box or papers...as is. They are not very knowledgable (neither am I).

They think it is from the mid-90's, looks to be about 40-41mm, decent overall condition, and they want US$2100. for it.

Where is the serial number (and model #, as there appears to be several Speedmasters), and can I track the date of manufacture like on a Rolex?
lgking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2012, 08:38 PM   #2
lgking
"TRF" Member

It looks like watches of this vintage have their ID numbers 'inside' and need to be opened up. Am I correct on this...any Omega Speedmaster experts please chime in.

Thanks!
Old 24 November 2012, 11:30 PM   #3
darrenvs

Hi there all the omega numbers are inside the case back. The speedy has a snap on back and should be easy enough to open to get the numbers. The numbers on the case back will tell you the model, and the 8 digit number on the movement will allow you to get the production date.
If you can get those numbers I can help you out
darrenvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2012, 10:06 AM   #4
lgking
"TRF" Member

Hi Darren,

Thanks for that.

I thought this model looked like it was a 'screw-on' case back. It says..."Flight Qualified by NASA" etc. with 6 big notches for some sort of tool.

I thought only the 'cheaper' models had the 'snap-on' case backs (like the Shumacher).

All 'Speedies' have 'snap-on' case backs...wow, I learn something new everyday. I will go back and check.

Thanks!
Old 25 November 2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Captain Kirkwood
"TRF" Member

All speedy pros have screw on case backs. The model number is on the inside of the case back. I think mid 90s should be 145.022. Serial number is printed on the movement. At some point Omega also started putting the serial number on one of the lugs but never looked into when that started. Google Roman Hartmann's Speedmaster Chart for reference on serial numbers.
Captain Kirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2012, 11:49 AM   #6
lgking
"TRF" Member

Hi Capppy,

That's what I thought. Thanks for verifying. The difference is the 'Pro'...I get it.

So, if the jeweler is unwilling to unscrew the caseback...I am stuck with their guess as to the date. Two further quick questions:

1. If all functions work properly...anything else I should watchout for in purchasing a used Speedy Pro...?

2. Was there just 1 (one) 'Pro' model available in the 1990's...?

(by the way, this model has a clasp that does not have 'release buttons', you just pull to lift the clasp)

Thanks
Old 25 November 2012, 01:13 PM   #7
Captain Kirkwood
"TRF" Member

Not sure whether the pro makes a difference but I said that because I can't speak to all the other various versions on whether or not they have screw on case backs. Should clarify that instead of speedy pro I probably should have said moon watch, meaning the classic manual wind models with 321, 861 and 1861 movements. As far a I know, all the moon watches had screw on case backs.

I would never buy one without seeing the movement unless I knew the seller personally or they were a well known in the watch community. Some Internet searches will reveal plenty of pictures and data (probably a fair bit from Chuck Maddox) that will help in assessing.

The standard moon watch from the 90's was the 145.0022 (not 145.022 as I said earlier). But I'm sure there were also some limited editions with other reference numbers.

That sounds like a period correct bracelet for mid 90's. Probably a 1498, which should be marked on the clasp. Not sure the number of the end links for that but it should be easy to look up.

Would also check some recent sold listings. I haven't lately but I would think a mid 90's speedmaster with no box/papers and unknown service history could be had for less than that.
Captain Kirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2012, 04:01 AM   #8
richardew
"TRF" Member

All speedmasters have the screw on caseback. It's hard to date the watch without any pictures. It has a "post moon" caseback, ie. it has the inscription flight qualified by NASA etc. That makes it post 1970. The dial will also have some clues - "T Swiss Made T" (tritium) vs "Swiss Made" (superluminova). The bezel will also help date the watch. The modern bezel has the dot under the 70 and an accent over the e in tachymetre. The bezel from ~1970 to the mid 90's has the dot next to the 70 and no accent over the e.
A picture of the watch would help.
richardew is offline   Reply With Quote