The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 November 2012, 06:13 AM   #1
Grumpy Badger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Sub (cosc)
Magnetic bracelets

Forgive me if this has been covered before, I've done a search but can't find anything...

I suffer from a lot of aches and pains due to the nature of my work (it ain't the years, it's the mileage!) and a friend gave me a magnetic bracelet today swearing that one like it has made a world of difference to him.

I take it that it won't be nearly powerful enough to have any effect on my Sub? I've got it on my right wrist and wear my watch on my left but I quite often sleep with both hands together under my head so they could well be in prolonged contact then.

I don't wrap my watch in cotton wool in the slightest but I know that audio speakers can magnitise a watch and wanted to check these bracelets can't.

Thanks guys.

"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill KG, OM, CH, TD, PC, DL, FRS.
Grumpy Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2012, 06:24 AM   #2
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Badger View Post
Forgive me if this has been covered before, I've done a search but can't find anything...

I suffer from a lot of aches and pains due to the nature of my work (it ain't the years, it's the mileage!) and a friend gave me a magnetic bracelet today swearing that one like it has made a world of difference to him.

I take it that it won't be nearly powerful enough to have any effect on my Sub? I've got it on my right wrist and wear my watch on my left but I quite often sleep with both hands together under my head so they could well be in prolonged contact then.

I don't wrap my watch in cotton wool in the slightest but I know that audio speakers can magnitise a watch and wanted to check these bracelets can't.

Thanks guys.
I could've sworn there was a special on Primetime or some news show that discovered there was no scientific data supporting the use of these bracelets. The owner at the time himself said they were just aesthetic.

I don't know if this is the same one but the news program had the same results across the board.

http://gizmodo.com/5723577/powerbala...nds-are-a-scam

But hey, if it makes you feel better, go for it. I also doubt the magnets are strong enough to affect your watch.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2012, 06:35 AM   #3
Grumpy Badger
"TRF" Member

Yeah I'm very sceptical but I was grateful to my friend for the thought. Other than having broken bones set I haven't been to a doctor in 15 years and I'm not into new-age remedies either but I guess it can't hurt to wear it for a week or two so long as it doesn't mess with my sub's Qi!

"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Old 24 November 2012, 06:44 AM   #4
T-Rip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD 116660
IMO it's like the hologram bracelets.. They are all gimmicks...

Rolex: DSSD 116660, 16622 PLATTY
T-Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2012, 07:00 AM   #5
JGX
"TRF" Member

I wore one of those magnetic bracelets for a whole year and I'm delighted to report that it had no effect whatsoever on either my health or my Rolex. . .
JGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2012, 07:01 AM   #6
RRsDJ

Watch: 16078 / 16618
Placebo effect....come on guys!
RRsDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2012, 07:45 AM   #7
c.rod
"TRF" Member

hey grumpy badger i have some snake oil, that you can put on the case back of the watch to make sure it wont get magnatized.... :) lol. j/k.
c.rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2012, 07:48 AM   #8
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
the OPs question is about the effects on the watch not his health. I say it will have no effect on the watch. The health factor is still open to debate.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2012, 07:50 AM   #9
Grumpy Badger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.rod View Post
hey grumpy badger i have some snake oil, that you can put on the case back of the watch to make sure it wont get magnatized.... :) lol. j/k.
Cool, but I struggle to work out which side is the caseback and which is the crystal since my AD sold me this rare invisible sub!

Old 24 November 2012, 07:53 AM   #10
Grumpy Badger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landroverking View Post
the OPs question is about the effects on the watch not his health. I say it will have no effect on the watch. The health factor is still open to debate.
Thanks. I was pretty certain it wouldn't bother my watch (otherwise I wouldn't have put it on). I guess to be powerful enough to effect the watch it would have stuck my wrist to the car door when I opened it.

Old 24 November 2012, 08:09 AM   #11
WhatTheDeuce
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha want...
You can always get a Milgauss if you're concerned...

Old 24 November 2012, 08:13 AM   #12
Grumpy Badger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheDeuce View Post
You can always get a Milgauss if you're concerned...

I was wondering how long it was going to take someone to suggest that!

As an aside am I right in thinking that there is a minimum anti-magnetic standard that a watch must meet to be granted diver certification?

Old 24 November 2012, 10:44 AM   #13
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
I was wondering how long it was going to take someone to suggest that!

As an aside am I right in thinking that there is a minimum anti-magnetic standard that a watch must meet to be granted diver certification?
ISO6425 dictates antimagnetic requirements in a dive watch. This is tested by 3 expositions to a direct current magnetic field of 4 800 A/m. The watch must keep its accuracy to ± 30 seconds/day as measured before the test despite the magnetic field.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2012, 01:37 PM   #14
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
ISO6425 dictates antimagnetic requirements in a dive watch. This is tested by 3 expositions to a direct current magnetic field of 4 800 A/m. The watch must keep its accuracy to ± 30 seconds/day as measured before the test despite the magnetic field.
Stop confusing these threads with facts Mike.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2012, 01:38 PM   #15
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.rod View Post
Lookin' fur a heider laddie?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2012, 01:46 PM   #16
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
Quote:
That is a shed load of fridge magnets
Old 24 November 2012, 02:59 PM   #17
tdegroot
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M & SubC
Quote:
Yeah I'm very sceptical but I was grateful to my friend for the thought. Other than having broken bones set I haven't been to a doctor in 15 years and I'm not into new-age remedies either but I guess it can't hurt to wear it for a week or two so long as it doesn't mess with my sub's Qi!
I wouldn't worry about the bracelet or the watch, but if what you say about not being to a doctor in 15 years is true, I 'd worry about that. I'm not trying to tell you what to do but I'm sure there are some people in your life that would be grateful if you did go see one, if even just for the heck of it. Just my thoughts.
tdegroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2012, 08:13 PM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Exactly IMHO magnetised is sometimes used as a cop out for nothing more than simple regulation.Although watches can get magnetised myself never had a problem working with and repairing electro magnets capable of lifting over 20 Tons.Plus now work with powerful transceivers and repair RF amplifiers that put out a very strong magnetic field but never had a problem.And today in the unlikelihood of any watch getting magnetised its a very easy proses to de-magnetise.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2012, 08:40 PM   #19
1000ft=300m
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LN
As an aside, I saw someone wearing TWO magnetic bracelets the other day.
1000ft=300m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2012, 09:44 PM   #20
bridgs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdegroot View Post
I wouldn't worry about the bracelet or the watch, but if what you say about not being to a doctor in 15 years is true, I 'd worry about that. I'm not trying to tell you what to do but I'm sure there are some people in your life that would be grateful if you did go see one, if even just for the heck of it. Just my thoughts.
so true
bridgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2012, 11:40 PM   #21
Grumpy Badger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Exactly IMHO magnetised is sometimes used as a cop out for nothing more than simple regulation.Although watches can get magnetised myself never had a problem working with and repairing electro magnets capable of lifting over 20 Tons.Plus now work with powerful transceivers and repair RF amplifiers that put out a very strong magnetic field but never had a problem.And today in the unlikelihood of any watch getting magnetised its a very easy proses to de-magnetise.
Thank you gents. My watch gets all kind of knocks with me and I KNOW it can take those but I don't pretend to know the first damn thing about magnets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdegroot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgs View Post
so true
I appreciate your concern but you won't catch me going near a saw-bones of my own volition unless limbs are facing the wrong way or blood is spraying at least three feet!
I have had a few medicals in that time both for my jockeys licence and with the army (just the routine eyes, hearing, touch your toes, cough...) but I'm not even registered with a GP.

Old 25 November 2012, 12:21 AM   #22
Hooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
All placebo !!!!! Don't waste your money!!
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2012, 01:35 AM   #23
Cru Jones

Thanks a lot, Mark. Now you got me worried! My fridge is covered with magnets from travels.....and now I'm thinking I should steer clear of it! How am I going to get a beer?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2012, 05:46 AM   #24
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Just wear the magnetic bracelet on the opposite wrist of the wrist you're wearing your watch...

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2012, 01:46 PM   #25
RRsDJ

Watch: 16078 / 16618
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
Just wear the magnetic bracelet on the opposite wrist of the wrist you're wearing your watch...
He already does....

Quote:
I've got it on my right wrist and wear my watch on my left but I quite often sleep with both hands together under my head so they could well be in prolonged contact then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RRsDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2012, 02:00 PM   #26
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
Grumpy B., as the TRF house spiritual healer......I have special bracelets I can sell you at my cost.
Will cure all your ills.
PM me for prices.
Old 26 November 2012, 05:19 PM   #27
34SF
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15570
This is a very dangerous situation. Grumpy, please send me your Rolex ASAP. I will send you all my magnets. Assuming they don't actually cross paths in the mail, all will be right with the world.

Seriously, some of the guys I work with wear these things (or used to until we made of them) and we fooled around with a couple to see if they would erase media or effect a watch. The magnetic energy was so low it had no effect on either. What it did do was drain money out of wallets with ease.
34SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2012, 09:45 PM   #28
Armyguy03
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 | 16600
I would recommend Tai Chi
Armyguy03 is offline   Reply With Quote