The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 14 January 2013, 12:42 AM   #1
Oryx
"TRF" Member

5980 - thoughts / considerations / experiences

I am contemplating purchasing a Patek 5980 and have a number of questions that I would appreciate any input on:-

Size - i know the watch is rather chunky, but can it still be worn on a day to day basis in a formal office environment or is it more of a watch to be worn during leisure time?

In this context is the size similar to a submariner or a sea dweller?

Dial colour - i am planning to go for the blue face which appears to be the favourite on this forum. Did anyone go for black over blue - if so why?

Build quality - how easily do the polished centre links scratch and do people find this irritating or is this something that people get used to over time? Does the bezel also scratch very easily?

Residuals - whilst i am buying this watch to wear and enjoy (and with the intention to own it forever) can anyone add input on residuals?

Thanks
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2013, 12:53 AM   #2
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
There's no reason the 5980 can't be worn under your dress shirt. It's a nice size such that it can be worn casually or to work. Most people won't even recognize what it is. It's thicker than either a Sub or SD and the case shape makes it appear larger than its 40mm size. Both blue and black are gorgeous but the blue is classic Patek. It's an excellently built watch. The detail and finish is exceptional. Unfortunately, like APs, it shows minor scratches/swirls very prominently on the bracelet and even more so on the bezel. This is principally because of the impeccable finish. You learn to live with it or this isn't the model for you. I don't know too many brands that retain value like Pateks. It's an exceptional value IMO.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2013, 12:57 AM   #3
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Whether or not a watch can be worn in certain enviornments vs. other envionments typically depend more on the person wearing it and how comfortable they are with it. Soiunds to me you have yet to try one on, if so I would highly recomend you doing this first.

Black or blue, typically then again is a personall preference. Personnaly I could go either way, however the blue is really nice because it changes color slightly depending on lighting and angle. Good luck with this and just trust your own instincts.

Build quality is superb and has nothing to do with scatches. All stainless steel watches show scratches, however due to the way the watch is polished this one will tend to show them a bit more than some others. Mileage will vary depending on how it is used, but no need to worry to much as you can always have it polished during servicing.

It's a Patek and a pretty good one at that, so there's an excellent chance it will retain it's value pretty well. The most important thing however is how much you think you will like the watch over time and much you will value the watch. After all it's something your only holding on to for future generations.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2013, 02:04 AM   #4
manofcow
"TRF" Member

Hi.. Went through the same process looking at the 5711 and the 5980... 5711 is a classic but I have a AP 15300 and to me the AP is the classic simple 3 hand luxury sports watch..

The 5980 wears about the same a a Rolex dive watch. Although the 5980 is thicker than most PP, a lot of it 'disappears' into the wrist and the actual case thickness is more comparable with a 5712 etc.. The movement through the sapphire back is beautiful..

I went for the blue although black was an option. The blue just has that lively colour change effect depending on light.. Personal preference though as my AP is black and when I switch, I really like the 'black' dial!!!!!

The subdial arrangement on the 5980 is very attractive, being quite subtle but eye catching in that it enhances the dial. Much as I love the 5711, it is a plain dial and having the AP I wanted something more striking.. The chrono is useful although like most people, I use it mainly for timing food!!!

Can't speak for residuals!! Rolex and PP seem to have few issues in this area!

Cheers!

Pic...

manofcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2013, 02:51 AM   #5
Yoda

Watch: PP AP RM
One of the things I like most about my 5980 is you can leave the Chrono running all the time due to the way the mechanism is laid out without the extra wear. Best of luck with your choice.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2013, 03:00 AM   #6
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input guys - could you please clarify what you mean by "issues with residuals" i would have thought that they would be quite robust with this model.

I think i will have to check the 5980 in person to see if it "speaks" to me.

Did any of you guys contemplate a 5726 along the way.

I started with looking at the 5712/1A then progressed to the 5726 and then the 5980!!!
Old 14 January 2013, 03:22 AM   #7
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post
Thanks for the input guys - could you please clarify what you mean by "issues with residuals" i would have thought that they would be quite robust with this model.

I think i will have to check the 5980 in person to see if it "speaks" to me.

Did any of you guys contemplate a 5726 along the way.

I started with looking at the 5712/1A then progressed to the 5726 and then the 5980!!!
When talking about something like this, the first problem is that your asking people to predict the future.

Past performance is the only thing you can go by, but Rolex and Patek tend to do fairly well in regards to retaining their value.

I could be wrong, but in regards to this particular watch I would not anticipate making a fortune if you decide to sell it sometime in the future.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 14 January 2013, 03:29 AM   #8
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
In terms of residual, I can only comment on resale prices. As a percentage, the 5711 seems very high, like 90-95% retail for LNIB. The 5980 is 80% of retail for LNIB.
Forgive me if I misunderstood the question or if my answer wasn't what you were looking for.
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2013, 03:36 AM   #9
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
In terms of residual, I can only comment on resale prices. As a percentage, the 5711 seems very high, like 90-95% retail for LNIB. The 5980 is 80% of retail for LNIB.
Forgive me if I misunderstood the question or if my answer wasn't what you were looking for.
This makes sense for a number of reasons.

The 5711 cost significantly less to begin with and tends to be a bit harder to find. Also when a watch cost significantly more like the 5890, then most people will tend to get a new one over a used one unless they can save a significant amount to make a difference.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 14 January 2013, 05:50 AM   #10
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys - all appears to make perfect sense.

I will be buying to keep for the long term and so residuals, whilst providing some comfort, will not be the key driver of my decision.

I am all set to get the 5980 with blue face - now just need to find a good deal
Old 14 January 2013, 09:42 AM   #11
myopiccoog
"TRF" Member

I own the 5980R. A+ on all fronts. Easily my most favorite pure chrono.Context: 90 percent of the watches I have owned have had a chrono function. I have no experience with the SS models so can't comment. The watch does wear higher than the 40.5mm diameter. Wears more like a 42mm in My opinion. Lastly, buy it right and you should not get hurt. There are some great deals on 5980 if you look around aggressively.

Last edited by HL65; 14 January 2013 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: Fixed mistake for you. Cheers,
myopiccoog is offline   Reply With Quote