The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 April 2013, 03:47 AM   #1
mcavana

Watch: 16610
Better service at the dinner table?

Sure it could be a freak happening... but the last two times I went out to dinner (one at a Japanese restaurant, the other at an Italian restaurant) the waiters complimented my Sub. Not only did they recognize my sub, but they also seemed to give me extra attention and gave me an above and beyond level of customer service.

I guess they figured I could afford a good tip? Granted I am a small business owner in the jewelry business so I always have nice rings and bracelets and such on... but I never experienced this before the Rolex.

Again this could have been a freak instance... but I hope it wasn't. I deserve that level of customer service.... after all I am always a good tipper!

Any of you experience anything like this and think it was at least partially due to your Rolex?
mcavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2013, 04:00 AM   #2
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Never a good experience but a couple bad ones
Old 16 April 2013, 04:08 AM   #3
JJL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red & 16622
Seems like a wise tactic for waiters to do (especially in a fine dining environment). We all know they make their money on tips - sparking light convo by complimenting them on something they probably care about (luxury watch) certainly isn't going to hurt your relationship with them, right? Happy customer = bigger tip.

With that being said, it could have just been a coincidence... I mean, you are wearing one of the most recognizable timepieces out there :cheers"

I've personally never experienced that in a restaurant, but I have experienced it when looking at watches. I will get standard customer service from the person behind the counter, then when they notice I have a Rolex on - they change their tune a bit and cater to my every question.
JJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2013, 05:03 AM   #4
Chris B
"TRF" Member

I can't say I've ever had any of that
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2013, 05:19 AM   #5
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
I have seen this happen to me as well. Same restaurant, different dates, different watch.....different service
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2013, 05:19 AM   #6
s14roller
"TRF" Member

What you are expeiencing is the human element.

No different than if you wore a tshirt with their favorite band...better service because they feel a connection to you around a similar like/passion.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2013, 06:09 AM   #7
montpyt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV "HULK"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJL View Post
Seems like a wise tactic for waiters to do (especially in a fine dining environment). We all know they make their money on tips - sparking light convo by complimenting them on something they probably care about (luxury watch) certainly isn't going to hurt your relationship with them, right? Happy customer = bigger tip.

With that being said, it could have just been a coincidence... I mean, you are wearing one of the most recognizable timepieces out there :cheers"

I've personally never experienced that in a restaurant, but I have experienced it when looking at watches. I will get standard customer service from the person behind the counter, then when they notice I have a Rolex on - they change their tune a bit and cater to my every question.
Looking for a bigger tip for sure! With that being said though, I'll give a little better tip if excellent service goes with the compliment.

ACTIVE MEMBER OF RED SOX NATION
montpyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2013, 06:17 AM   #8
Reu
Banned

Don't buy in to this theory of better service as a result of wearing a Rolex. For most people, they just don't care - and it's not surprising... It's just a watch.
Reu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2013, 06:32 AM   #9
MichaelB_Can

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Just a watch ..... Just a watch worn by Kings & Princes around the world !

Mike B , Canada ⌚
MichaelB_Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2013, 06:32 AM   #10
Lucky777
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16610
I waited tables in college. The guy probably appreciates nice things, and paid you a compliment. I wouldn't look into it much more than that...
Lucky777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2013, 06:33 AM   #11
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
lol I've had one person compliment my rolex ever. and it was a 12 year old xD. noone else gives a shit. most people really wouldn't know a rolex from a timex.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2013, 06:47 AM   #12
DiamondJack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few
Tips are creeping in everywhere..... We'll be tipping the checkout girl at the supermarket soon ....

Recently, I had a 12.5% service charge added to the bill simply getting drinks from the bar in a trendy pub..... So no service other than pouring the drinks and handing them over the bar to me...... Which I doubt they would allow me to do myself......... And to add insult to injury......my change (after paying the added charge) was then returned to me on a little silver tray.... clearly with the intention of encouraging me to leave that as well...... And making me feel a little embarrassed when I cleared the tray even though I had already paid what i felt was an undeserved tip.......but hey ho....life's too short......

A restaurant I was in recently had a service charge added as standard to the bill which I was happy enough to pay given the pretty good service......but then found the card machine when paying the bill (with the service charge already added) had the question of whether i wanted to add a tip or not.....I wonder how many customers pay twice.....

And my Rolex didn't help or single me out for special treatment in either case .....
DiamondJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2013, 06:48 AM   #13
Reu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
lol I've had one person compliment my rolex ever. and it was a 12 year old xD. noone else gives a shit. most people really wouldn't know a rolex from a timex.
True.
Reu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2013, 06:48 AM   #14
red.earth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124273
I agree... it's just a watch. A watch that to most humans that have ever walked this earth is an obscene luxury. Right now there are a billion people starving and a further 2 billion malnourished. Even in the States, there are over 40 million people living in poverty!

Do something useful with your spare thousands of £s / $s etc, or buy a watch?

I torn between enjoying mine, but at the same time feeling ashamed at my choice of priorities.
Old 16 April 2013, 06:54 AM   #15
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by red.earth View Post
I agree... it's just a watch. A watch that to most humans that have ever walked this earth is an obscene luxury. Right now there are a billion people starving and a further 2 billion malnourished. Even in the States, there are over 40 million people living in poverty!

I torn between enjoying mine, but at the same time feeling ashamed at my choice of priorities.
why be ashamed? you earned the money.

its not your fault governments don't do anything about problems in their countrys.

It's even worse when you look at how half of our stuff is made. Most of its just as bad if not worse than slave labor. America is so proud it got rid of slavery in its own country. Now we have everything made for us by chinese factory workers, working in conditions thousands of times worse than working conditions EVER were here and there getting paid pennies an hour/day. Sure you could take the money out that you spent on your watch and donate it. while theres people in the same country making millions off of all of the laborers that they have working for them. Distribution of wealth is a major problem in the world, and the people who would make the biggest difference aren't giving up anything. in fact, they just keep taking more.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2013, 06:56 AM   #16
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.earth View Post

RELAX its just a watch!!.....
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2013, 07:17 AM   #17
Chris B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJack View Post
Tips are creeping in everywhere..... We'll be tipping the checkout girl at the supermarket soon ....

Recently, I had a 12.5% service charge added to the bill simply getting drinks from the bar in a trendy pub..... So no service other than pouring the drinks and handing them over the bar to me...... Which I doubt they would allow me to do myself......... And to add insult to injury......my change (after paying the added charge) was then returned to me on a little silver tray.... clearly with the intention of encouraging me to leave that as well...... And making me feel a little embarrassed when I cleared the tray even though I had already paid what i felt was an undeserved tip.......but hey ho....life's too short......

A restaurant I was in recently had a service charge added as standard to the bill which I was happy enough to pay given the pretty good service......but then found the card machine when paying the bill (with the service charge already added) had the question of whether i wanted to add a tip or not.....I wonder how many customers pay twice.....

And my Rolex didn't help or single me out for special treatment in either case .....

Spot on Steve l

Recently paid the bill with service charge added in a Spanish restaurant near Covent Garden & had £14 shrapnel of coinage returned on the tray, obliviously with the expectation that I'd simply leave it there.

If that was because of the watch I was wearing, then little did they know that basically Rolex owners are also 'blue meanies'

Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote