The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 July 2013, 06:06 PM   #1
DarGar46
"TRF" Member

Need wisdom - 1946 Oyster Perp Servicing

I inherited my father's 1946 SS Oyster Perpetual 'officially certified chronometer'. serial 6564. No date. No numbers, just hashes for hours. Kinda champagne color face. PICS coming next day or two...

But wanted advice on service- Rolex has gone back and forth on independent repairs right? I have a great family reference but he doesn't work on ones this old. Is my only option to take into a Dealer and have sent to official Rolex service center?

It runs for only a few minutes after handling. I'll keep the original part in drawer (if worth it), but would like the scratched -plastic- crystal replaced. Face has very small slight miscolored spot down by 6 position. I'd hope there's nothing broken as it runs. It sat in a drawer for 20-30 years and has NEVER been serviced in 67 years! Pretty amazing as I watch it ticking around as I write this.
DarGar46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2013, 01:47 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I would not send it to Rolex.. They likely will not service the watch because of it's age and would insist on changing critical parts that could adversely affect it's actual value..

6564 is not the serial number, that is the Model Number for an early Oyster Perpetual. They were made for a number of years..

There are several good watchmakers who could do a good job of servicing and restoring your old heirloom. It is best to check around to ensure that the old movement parts are available.

Check with:
Bob Ridley in Dallas www.watchmakers.com
Rik Deitel in FLA. www.timecareinc.com