The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 5 July 2013, 02:41 AM   #361
Daytona-Dan
Banned

Watch: 116528
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well apart from the dial colour and it has numbers on the bezel like most GMT watches, that's the only similarity that I can see to the new Rolex Explorer 11.And apart from the slightly similar dial colour I cannot see any resemblance to a Milgauss .
It must just be me and John then

I'm not saying they are direct copies, just that I can also see a similarity. The GS GMT has the oyster type bracelet, the same brushed style bezel with the 1-24 markers, similar case structure, besides the hand colour and shape it would be hard to tell the difference at +5m. There are hundreds of GMT designs out there, just look at their 3 Days GMT, it looks completely different, but in this case they are very similar?

Same with the Gauss, all the "GS" writing on the other models is grey and suddenly the anti-magnetic version has luminous orange writing? Even the bezel and case structure is the same again. Ok, the case is bevelled a little, but it's still the same with fat lugs (or did GS come out with fat lugs first?).

It's just a little too similar to be coincidence in my book..
I don't buy it, but I guess it could happen...

PS: This is a friendly debate, I'm not trying to pick fights with people, I'm just trying to argue and talk the various points!
It's what forums are for right?
Old 5 July 2013, 03:46 AM   #362
adt
"TRF" Member

I think GS and Rolex look completely different and distinct. GS doesnt use lume for example, only for a few models like the diver and GMT.

Rolex has unique hands across their model range (mercedes, lume dot on seconds hand) and so does GS (mirror finished and pointed) Compare them and it is like night and day.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 5 July 2013, 04:07 AM   #363
MrLee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub c, smp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona-Dan View Post
It must just be me and John then

I'm not saying they are direct copies, just that I can also see a similarity. The GS GMT has the oyster type bracelet, the same brushed style bezel with the 1-24 markers, similar case structure, besides the hand colour and shape it would be hard to tell the difference at +5m. There are hundreds of GMT designs out there, just look at their 3 Days GMT, it looks completely different, but in this case they are very similar?

Same with the Gauss, all the "GS" writing on the other models is grey and suddenly the anti-magnetic version has luminous orange writing? Even the bezel and case structure is the same again. Ok, the case is bevelled a little, but it's still the same with fat lugs (or did GS come out with fat lugs first?).

It's just a little too similar to be coincidence in my book..
I don't buy it, but I guess it could happen...

PS: This is a friendly debate, I'm not trying to pick fights with people, I'm just trying to argue and talk the various points!
It's what forums are for right?

No I'm with you, hence the fact I've used the word 'homage' regarding their designs in previous posts, the oyster bracelet design has clearly been borrowed as well. There is also one that looks just like an explorer, with the addition of a date window, the explorer 2 clone is blatant to me
Old 5 July 2013, 05:27 AM   #364
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Explorer, heartbeat. But then, I'm not an aficionado of fine watches, I just like Rolexes.
Old 5 July 2013, 05:42 AM   #365
NAVY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Can you say "idiot" on this forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLee View Post
No I'm with you, hence the fact I've used the word 'homage' regarding their designs in previous posts, the oyster bracelet design has clearly been borrowed as well. There is also one that looks just like an explorer, with the addition of a date window, the explorer 2 clone is blatant to me
Homages ??? Give me a break ...
Old 21 July 2013, 06:05 AM   #366
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I have a simple resolution for this debate.. if all the Grand Seiko's had the name listed as below, everyone would accept its just not another Seiko on the market.

No mention of Seiko and then GS at the bottom.. just directly Grand Seiko

Old 21 July 2013, 06:15 AM   #367
Billywiz
Banned

Watch: YG President
Oh crikey ...its back :)
Old 31 July 2013, 07:46 AM   #368
Pete26
Banned

GS for me

I recently faced the same conundrum, between an Explorer priced at $7,490AUD from my local AD or a GS SBGR051 from Seiya Japan for $3,358. I chose the Seiko, a better watch than the Rolex IMHO

Pete
Old 31 July 2013, 08:18 AM   #369
Marine1981
"TRF" Member

I dunno, I've handled grand seikos in a Pittsburgh AD and while they are very nice, I wouldn't spend 6-8k on one. I understand their movements like the one I looked at (36,000bph) are truly high end pieces. It's just difficult to justify that sort I money for one. I guess I have a bit of a snobish mentality about the whole thing but a rolex or JLC or Patek have the names which justify the price tags and have long term resale values.
Old 31 July 2013, 08:24 AM   #370
porschedude
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
ill give it to them, grand seiko is a BA watch but i would rather have a explorer1 just because i like the simplicity of the piece. that being said they are very much on the same level.
Old 31 July 2013, 08:30 AM   #371
charles22
"TRF" Member

I don't like either the GS or the Explorer!

But it was an interesting read about people's personalities
Old 31 July 2013, 11:04 AM   #372
submariner66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
[QUOTE=powerfunk;4218730]Actually someone once asked me "Is that a Rolex" while I was wearing a GS. One of about five times in my life someone has commented on my watch out of the blue. If it gives the Grand Seiko nonfans any consolation, they were decidedly less impressed once I said "Grand Seiko."

Thats kind of the problem I would have with owning a Grand Seiko, but also the thing that I like most about them to- I suppose is that they are very much like Rolexes in their design.

Having worn the "cheap" Seiko watches since I was in the 5th grade up until recently- i liked them because they looked like my dads Rolex from 1957. But I think the Seiko's I wore were mechanical, you had to shake them, they had no batteries?

Out of all the Watches featured in the annual wrist watch catalogue there were very few that sung to me besides Rolex, and they were, the classically designed ones like the Omega, VC, JLC, I think the PAM are designed well too, but a little too retro for me.

I really like the GS diver photo shown at the beginning of this thread, that I think I would own, probably i like divers better. The other GS look like DJ's without the cyclops. Nice, but would probably choose the EXP 1 over them too.
Old 31 July 2013, 01:04 PM   #373
ninotcs
Banned

Watch: Rolex 14060M
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375239850.825850.jpg
At last
Old 31 July 2013, 01:07 PM   #374
ninotcs
Banned

Watch: Rolex 14060M
seiko should follow Japanese car manufacturer's branding strategy and product extensions.

You dont name a Toyota Camry , Grand Camry. Instead, you name it Lexus e350. And bam, just like that you are in the game.
Old 31 July 2013, 01:22 PM   #375
Billywiz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninotcs View Post
seiko should follow Japanese car manufacturer's branding strategy and product extensions.

You dont name a Toyota Camry , Grand Camry. Instead, you name it Lexus e350. And bam, just like that you are in the game.
I still wouldnt buy a watch called Grand Lexus ?
Old 31 July 2013, 01:37 PM   #376
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billywiz View Post
I still wouldnt buy a watch called Grand Lexus ?
Huh?

Commissioner of WEIRD POLICE , Badge # ecsub44
Old 31 July 2013, 01:47 PM   #377
Billywiz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsub44 View Post
Huh?
Omg...seriously...I was just kidding!
Closed Thread