The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 20 October 2013, 08:42 AM   #1
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Patek Phillipe Gondolo

Hi guys. I have the vintage bug and have been eyeing this piece. What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.2 KB, 396 views)
Demonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2013, 08:43 AM   #2
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.0 KB, 394 views)
Old 20 October 2013, 09:53 AM   #3
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
It is a great piece if you can carry it. Wearing my street clothes when I tried it on I thought it didn't go well at all, but I love the watch!
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2013, 09:54 AM   #4
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Logan,

I think this timepiece looks very classy and although it's not a vintage its look is very dressy and would make this watch a great addition to your Patek (and overall) collection. The Breguet numerals are a classic on dress watches, the small second hand at 6 o' clock is always nice to admire (a centered second hand is something nice but on a dress watch a off centered one always gives a little special look to the dial) and a manual winding watch is, in my opinion, a must have in one's collection. It's nice to have a watch that will be wound by the movements of your wrist but making a habit of winding a watch before wearing it until the crown stops moving is a great feeling.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you buy such a watch, I for one find it beautiful.

P.S.: That dial color...
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2013, 11:00 AM   #5
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Vintage look - modern piece

It's a stunning peice and IMO works for both casual and dressy occasions.
Be aware that it does wear large, as do most rectangular shaped watches though.

Breguet numerals are amazing and well suited for this classic timepiece, but the icing on the cake has to be the rectangular movement perfectly paired to the case. This one's destined to be a classic!
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2013, 12:57 PM   #6
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post
Logan,

I think this timepiece looks very classy and although it's not a vintage its look is very dressy and would make this watch a great addition to your Patek (and overall) collection. The Breguet numerals are a classic on dress watches, the small second hand at 6 o' clock is always nice to admire (a centered second hand is something nice but on a dress watch a off centered one always gives a little special look to the dial) and a manual winding watch is, in my opinion, a must have in one's collection. It's nice to have a watch that will be wound by the movements of your wrist but making a habit of winding a watch before wearing it until the crown stops moving is a great feeling.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you buy such a watch, I for one find it beautiful.

P.S.: That dial color...
Hi Carl. I was really hoping for you to answer my thread. I think you are right on the money with all your comments. And you are right, that dial color is to die for. Thank you again. I wanted to ask you, what do you think of the Ap Skelton?
Old 20 October 2013, 12:58 PM   #7
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
It's a stunning peice and IMO works for both casual and dressy occasions.
Be aware that it does wear large, as do most rectangular shaped watches though.

Breguet numerals are amazing and well suited for this classic timepiece, but the icing on the cake has to be the rectangular movement perfectly paired to the case. This one's destined to be a classic!
Thank you Tony. I am really tempted to pull the trigger. Very....
Old 20 October 2013, 01:00 PM   #8
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
It is a great piece if you can carry it. Wearing my street clothes when I tried it on I thought it didn't go well at all, but I love the watch!
Hi Louis. I am always wearing a suit and a tie so I think this one is right up my aile.
Old 20 October 2013, 05:28 PM   #9
PatekCollector
"TRF" Member

5124G is one of my favorites. Looks very awesome. I'd strongly support you to take it.

Instagram: @PatekCollector
PatekCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2013, 07:04 PM   #10
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Art Deco and i'm there

i wasn't keen on the 5124 when i first tried it on, the tang buckle had something to do with this, but after having seen it out in the wild and salivated over it in various places, i'm loving it

Not too keen on the 5098 though... unbalanced and not my style
Old 20 October 2013, 07:13 PM   #11
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
5124 is a mighty fine looking watch.

I also love the 5111 for the same occasions.
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2013, 11:19 PM   #12
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonoid View Post
Hi Carl. I was really hoping for you to answer my thread. I think you are right on the money with all your comments. And you are right, that dial color is to die for. Thank you again. I wanted to ask you, what do you think of the Ap Skelton?
I actually quite like the AP Skeleton, I think showing the movement of a watch on the dial is something that isn't very easy to do as often it would make it hard to read it, however, AP has, in my opinion, managed to make a very classy watch with that design in their RO collection and the result is stunning. Besides, that's something one usually sees on dress watches and I think the RO Skeleton is pretty special since it has all the characteristics of a sportier/casual watch (even the skeleton plate and bridges are made to make the watch look mort sporty, the finishing is not as fancy as a dress watch, it looks more sober).

The only problem I've seen so far is that usually people on the forum will ask us to choose between that one and a gold/dress watch or a complicated timepiece, as much as I like skeleton dials I'm usually going towards the other types of watches so it doesn't win the match very often in my book. Nonetheless, it's quite the addition to a collection and something that really stands out (besides, I do believe it's quite the rare watch nowadays).

P.S.: If you're hesitating between the 5124 and the RO Skeleton I'll have to vote for the former, given your collection (and although the RO is quite unique) I think the 5124 would open you a door to another horological world: the dress watch.

- André Fortin
Old 20 October 2013, 11:32 PM   #13
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Really like the 5124
Very distinctive with unique color & case shape, pure class & something special for the wrist
Old 20 October 2013, 11:33 PM   #14
kxux
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II
Quote:
Hi guys. I have the vintage bug and have been eyeing this piece. What do you guys think?
I must agree with the sentiment here. The 5124 is beautiful dress watch. The dial looks great with the Brequet numerals and I love the display case back showing the movement. The fact that it is manual wounded watch where nothing blocks the view of the movement is a plus in my book. I wouldn't hesitate to add this piece to my collection. It is a great watch.
kxux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2013, 11:47 PM   #15
SearChart
TechXpert

The 5124 is not my favourite PP.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2013, 12:12 AM   #16
SixPak
"TRF" Member

I love that Gondolo and that dial colour is indeed to die for.
SixPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2013, 06:13 AM   #17
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I actually quite like the AP Skeleton, I think showing the movement of a watch on the dial is something that isn't very easy to do as often it would make it hard to read it, however, AP has, in my opinion, managed to make a very classy watch with that design in their RO collection and the result is stunning. Besides, that's something one usually sees on dress watches and I think the RO Skeleton is pretty special since it has all the characteristics of a sportier/casual watch (even the skeleton plate and bridges are made to make the watch look mort sporty, the finishing is not as fancy as a dress watch, it looks more sober).

The only problem I've seen so far is that usually people on the forum will ask us to choose between that one and a gold/dress watch or a complicated timepiece, as much as I like skeleton dials I'm usually going towards the other types of watches so it doesn't win the match very often in my book. Nonetheless, it's quite the addition to a collection and something that really stands out (besides, I do believe it's quite the rare watch nowadays).

P.S.: If you're hesitating between the 5124 and the RO Skeleton I'll have to vote for the former, given your collection (and although the RO is quite unique) I think the 5124 would open you a door to another horological world: the dress watch.
I love your comments Carl. What can I say... Always so precise and you don't go in circles with your advice. Thank you, and I think you are right, that's probably the direction I am heading. While the AP skeleton might be a true work of art this gondolo oozes class and the deco style is unmatched. Although I am very young by my own standards . I am an ancient soul and I am starting to swim into more classic and distinctive pieces. I think I have my sports collection covered so far and more classic pictures is the next step. Again thank you. I will keep you posted as to what the future holds.
Old 21 October 2013, 06:17 AM   #18
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Really like the 5124
Very distinctive with unique color & case shape, pure class & something special for the wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxux View Post
I must agree with the sentiment here. The 5124 is beautiful dress watch. The dial looks great with the Brequet numerals and I love the display case back showing the movement. The fact that it is manual wounded watch where nothing blocks the view of the movement is a plus in my book. I wouldn't hesitate to add this piece to my collection. It is a great watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPak View Post
I love that Gondolo and that dial colour is indeed to die for.
You buys are not making this easy my bank account is bleeding already. LOL
Old 21 October 2013, 06:19 AM   #19
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
5124 is a mighty fine looking watch.

I also love the 5111 for the same occasions.
The 5711 isa . Great piece Bryan and enjoy it in the best of health.
Old 21 October 2013, 06:21 AM   #20
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
Art Deco and i'm there

i wasn't keen on the 5124 when i first tried it on, the tang buckle had something to do with this, but after having seen it out in the wild and salivated over it in various places, i'm loving it

Not too keen on the 5098 though... unbalanced and not my style
Great wrist shots puffy... And that alligator strap ( same with the dial) look stunning !
Old 21 October 2013, 06:25 AM   #21
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalidSS View Post
5124G is one of my favorites. Looks very awesome. I'd strongly support you to take it.
Thank you Khal. I know you have great taste. If you approve this piece is a winner in my book.
Old 21 October 2013, 02:44 PM   #22
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

I have a 5124J and I love it.
Old 21 October 2013, 02:48 PM   #23
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t65tampa View Post
I have a 5124J and I love it.
Can we see a wrist pic?
Old 21 October 2013, 08:40 PM   #24
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I love your comments Carl. What can I say... Always so precise and you don't go in circles with your advice. Thank you, and I think you are right, that's probably the direction I am heading. While the AP skeleton might be a true work of art this gondolo oozes class and the deco style is unmatched. Although I am very young by my own standards . I am an ancient soul and I am starting to swim into more classic and distinctive pieces. I think I have my sports collection covered so far and more classic pictures is the next step. Again thank you. I will keep you posted as to what the future holds.
Good luck my friend, I hope you'll find a beautiful model soon.

P.S.: Have you given yellow gold a try?

- André Fortin
Old 22 October 2013, 02:45 AM   #25
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Good luck my friend, I hope you'll find a beautiful model soon.

P.S.: Have you given yellow gold a try?
Great question Carl. So far I have a love and hate relationship with yellow or rose gold. I love how they look at ADs and on other peoples wrists, but as soon as I try them on everything falls apart. I dont know if its because I still feel too young to have a color gold piece that people will notice a mile away. My ROO RC in rose works in my head because it another type of animal.

I alwas try to fly under the radar and although some pieces in my collection are white gold people that dont know will say: "hmmmm... steel"
Old 22 October 2013, 05:36 AM   #26
el1125
Banned

I'd like to see the new 5200g when it comes out to compare with blue face. Understand that this will be a higher price point.
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2013, 08:18 AM   #27
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el1125 View Post
I'd like to see the new 5200g when it comes out to compare with blue face. Understand that this will be a higher price point.
Like 40k more.